Do you hang out with pets at parties?

SweetTart

When I go over to friends' houses, someone always makes a joke about how I'm really there to visit the dog/cat/bunny.

At parties, I do tend to gravitate towards the dog if there's not a particularly interesting conversation or game going on.

By the way, does anyone else here have trouble gauging how to join in on a group conversation without interrupting someone by mistake?

45 minutes ago, Ardoise said:

By the way, does anyone else here have trouble gauging how to join in on a group conversation without interrupting someone by mistake?

I have trouble gauging how to join in on group conversation, period. :P 

I do have trouble getting a word in in many cases. I don't want to interrupt people, but it feels to me that other people are often not so bothered about interrupting me. I wonder if there is something about the way I talk that people think I'm done so they jump in. And then, I also sometimes hesitate because I am formulating what I want to say, so maybe people don't realize I wanted to say something. Partaking in conversations can be difficult enough; trying to insert myself into an existing conversation can be even harder. And then it doesn't help that at parties there are usually multiple conversations going on, and figuring out which to join can be difficult (not to mention the others can be distracting).

krystal_muzik
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:08 AM, Dani-Chan said:

Who doesn't? 😁

Lol.

And I love your avatar of the smiling Pomeranian.

Yes.

Not parties. Pet hide during parties, or get shut up in a room so they don't make a break for it. 

While hanging out with human friends, I make sure to hang out with the furry ones too. The cats I've pet sat always come say hi. =]

Cat: Goes into the hallway alone and starts yowling.

Friend: We don't understand why she does that. 

Me: She wants to play. Observe. 

Cat: Viciously kills the toy dead. 

Friend: !

13 hours ago, krystal_muzik said:

Lol.

And I love your avatar of the smiling Pomeranian.

Thanks. :)

That's my little Pom, Akiko. She's smiling because she's up to something. ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see that it seems to be quite a widespread practice here 😂

I don't go to parties, but at family gatherings, you'd be sure I'd be on the floor hanging out with some cute dog or cat...

No because I literally never go to parties. Like, ever. Also I'm allergic to both cats and dogs, so.

I haven't been to a party in years. When I went to them I gravitated toward any available books. Cats make me wheeze and someone else had usually claimed any canine availability.

Grumpy Alien

Of course... what else would I do at a party? 

My dog would never forgive me if I was hanging our with other pets without her, I'll just skip the parties 😂

All of the time! I love animals! If the animal is small enough, I let them crawl in my lap. :)

Grumpy Alien
5 hours ago, Summery said:

All of the time! I love animals! If the animal is small enough, I let them crawl in my lap. :)

All animals are small enough if you believe

25 minutes ago, okir fokir said:

All animals are small enough if you believe

I don't believe it

I wouldn't let an elephant crawl into my lap (sorry, Homer).

Grumpy Alien
Just now, daveb said:

I don't believe it

I wouldn't let an elephant crawl into my lap (sorry, Homer).

Pets are the escape from social situations for me..even though I'm allergic, I'll still seek out the dog or the cat at the party if my anxiety gets really bad (which it always does)

• 2 months later...

When ever I go round someone’s house for a party or a visit they know I will spend most of the time cuddling or playing with their pets, they usually wait a bit to talk to me as they know I will be distracted 😄 my grandparents leave the dog blanket on the sofa when I go round now so their dog can sit on my lap and fall asleep while I’m there, so cute!

I would spend half a family party petting an outside cat, often with my equally introverted cousin.

The cat loved the fights for its attention.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

Yes I do! Animals are just better humans. 

I love the pets of my relatives. They're totally cool, cosy, funny and supportive. 

The chattering is so much easier. They would just listen and look at me, without any judgement, bias or bad joking. Making me feel so true and understood. 

I often find myself being cuddled by any pet they have.

I never go to parties, but whenever I'm at someone's house, regardless of who they are, I am glued to the pet's side. I find their presence comforting. :)

Always. Not just at parties, but in general, I usually bond with a person's animals long before I even fully acknowledge the human, haha. Whenever I'm out walking and I happen to pass a new neighbor's house, and there happens to be a dog out by the edge of the fence, I'll make instant friends with the dog and meet the human later (usually after, like, my ninth visit with the dog).

Party, what party? 

At gatherings I'll gravitate towards pets (except dogs) because even with people I know I'm not always a great talker 

• 3 weeks later...

My first instinct is to say yes, but now that I think about it, I usually just sit there being bored. I'm not sure why I don't, except that a lot of times the pets aren't in the room we're in, and I don't want to look weird by leaving.

omg yes I thought I was the only one haha. The last few parties/gatherings I've been to haven't had any animals around so I usually just ate the food or sat by myself/maybe one other person who also was more on the introverted/quiet side. When there were dogs/cats around though I would go pet them or play with them vs talking to a lot of people.

The only parties I ever get to go to are family things..if they did have pets I'd definitely hang out with them. But I usually just stick around my mom or one of my brothers, and play on my phone to pass time. 

Not really, I wish I could but my family is afraid of my dogs, which is silly because they're well behaved and adorable but they suffer from a bad reputation. Staffordshire bull terriers aren't pitbulls but people in general are still afraid, even in the streets, they move away, it's silly. So no I don't hang out with pets at parties but we have our own parties haha and it's way better 😛

Knight of Cydonia

Really depends on the pet... some people's dogs are way too energetic for me and really get in your face. I love dogs in general, but don't like interacting with that kind. If it's a nice, calm dog I'll spend some time with it.

Usually I just kinda sit there awkwardly if I'm at a party though.

Archived