Do you hang out with pets at parties?

SweetTart

When you're at a party or family/friend gathering, do you find yourself hanging out with their pets?

As someone who's introverted and has loved animals from a young age, most of my memories of parties and family gatherings are full of hanging out in the backyard or kitchen with their respective cats and/or dogs. It's not that people aren't fun to hangout with or anything, I've just found it's something I've always done. Whenever I go to someone's home my first question is usually if they have any pets lol

Just curious if anyone does the same thing! 🐕

I do it all the time if I know they have pets. Especially cats. Last party I went to I spent almost my entire time there with my friend's cat.

Elizabeth Blossom/Jessica

I do the exact same thing! Especially if they have a dog or a cat. 😊

I do that! :D 

I'm very introverted myself, shy too, so interacting with people has always been difficult for me. I'm a huge animal lover, and I've always been drawn to them. Animals are awesome! 😊❤️

Yes, it they have cats and the cats are willing to hang out.

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

Do I hang out with pets at parties?

No... I just hang out with pets.:P

everywhere and nowhere

No, because I suffer from allergy. I still like petting a cat (but will always wash my hands soon afterwards), but I was always moderately afraid of dogs and I shouldn't even be somewhere where a dog lives - a few hours in such a home are enough to give me asthma symptoms for three days... I'm less allergic to cats probably because cats are calm and don't leave as much sweat, fur etc. around the house.

But I generally avoid parties, so it's not a problem. Still, it required not visiting some family members at their homes. In the 1980s both my grandfather and my uncle emigrated to Germany, later my uncle and aunt were keepers (I dislike the word "owner" when referring to animals) of probably the most intelligent dog in Germany :) - but I couldn't visit them because of my health issues, so every time I went with my mum to Germany for a vacation, she went there with my grandfather and I would stay at his home and read books... My mom was of course never angry about it, she realised that doing otherwise would equal doing harm to me.

Hick Wizard

If I went to parties, I definitely would hang out with the pets.

yea of course that is if I ever go to parties 😂

I always hang out with pets at parties, but now that my friends are getting older and having babies, I usually go after the babies instead.

I'm like a free babysitter at parties.

980x.gif

I feel personally attacked by this highly relatable content. Haha, oh yes, I always check in with the animals and sometimes they seek me out.

I always hang out with the pets over the kids, if a kid would like me to play with them then of course I wouldn't say no but pets all the way lol

Scottthespy

People will take me places to meet people, and then they'll end up talking while I sit on the floor petting the dog. This is fairly normal for younger folks, but I'm nearly thirty. No one has ever complained though, so I guess its fine.

7 minutes ago, Scottthespy said:

People will take me places to meet people, and then they'll end up talking while I sit on the floor petting the dog. This is fairly normal for younger folks, but I'm nearly thirty. No one has ever complained though, so I guess its fine.

It's totally fine in my mind! 😁

Celyn: The Lutening

I try to avoid parties because of aspie sensory issues, but I find myself agreeing to go to someone's house, or even asking if I can come over, just because I miss their cat or dog. My friends are OK with it because a) They love their pets and are happy that someone else also loves them b) They do the same, asking if they can come over to see Eddie.

1 hour ago, Scottthespy said:

I'm the same way. I'm much more comfortable around animals than i am around new people, so i always turn to them to help me relax and then i just stay there the whole time lol and when i do talk to the people it's about their pets.

SpaceDustbin

You bet! It always makes visiting people a lot better if there are pets involved :lol:

The dogs and cats (rabbits, guinea pigs etc. too) are my go-to 'people' at social occasions. They're safe and cuddly, what more do you want? And I agree with @brook_worm, it's far easier to start/participate in conversation when its about your pets.

• 2 weeks later...

Parties and people - eww

But yes I search out animals and pets. When that doesn't work I tend to go into my own little world. 

12 hours ago, Goonie said:

Parties and people - eww

But yes I search out animals and pets. When that doesn't work I tend to go into my own little world. 

I agree. And I do that too! 🤣

snapesonalane

This is assuming I go to parties lol

But whenever I do go to a party/social gathering of more than 5 people it depends on the pet. Dogs I don't like much because I can't stand their little eager wet noses against my bare skin (I suspect because of sensory issues due to aspergers, I'm not a monster lol). Cats however I will spend a whole party curled up in a corner with the cat. 

krystal_muzik

I do it too. I enjoy the company of animals better than the company of people.

Wait. That's not the whole point of it?

I don't like parties or people all that much so... yes.

Who doesn't?

Absolutely! Last time I was at a certain friend's birthday party, I constantly wanted to see and pet the cat their family was temporarily taking care of. :lol:

Archived