Aromantic/Asexual Spectrum Discord Servers!

Pramana

Discord servers are the next big thing for online aromantic and asexual spectrum communities. While central forums like AVEN and Reddit and the Tumblr blog network provide an important base, newer social media applications represent an exciting growth area. A useful analogy is to say that forums are like Facebook in 2019; still necessary, but the real action has moved elsewhere. Discord servers in particular are really starting to take off. I'm seeing more AVEN threads inquiring about Discords, and I'm witnessing tremendous growth among Discords. Such rapid growth is attributable to the fact that Discords are really fun, offering voice chat and facilitating contemporary Internet culture (memes, video games, manga and anime, arts and crafts). Now a variety of Discord servers offer differing community cultures and differing styles of moderation. So pick one that's right for you, and get yourself on a Discord!

Joined the FY Asexual and Chill and enjoying my time on FY so far.

Chill seems a lot slower and I haven't checked out the other two. 

Part of choosing a server that's right for you is settling on one that's the right size for you. I've found that small and large servers each have their advantages and disadvantages.

• 1 month later...

Prolly the most important thing to manage is growth rate rather than total size, if you want to cultivate a certain culture, especially if it's different from other spaces of the same kind, having 1/6 -> 1/2 of people join at once without properly being accustomed to the atmosphere surely will, and did cause issues. Just take a group of 4 friends, now shove them in a room, cool, friends in a room, now shove in 4 other people from some other place with a different culture and attitude towards certain things, yeah, sounds like a great way to cause an argument. Obviously there is going to be a size limit at some point, wherein you literally can't know more people, but you don't need to know everyone in order to keep a certain culture anyway.

It is a handful when a server doubles in size within a week. Like other online communities, I find that a relatively small percentage of the total user base is responsible for most of the activity, followed by a long tail of less frequent posters.

AVEN chat used to offer that, it was really functional once upon a time and there'd often be 20-30 people in the room at any one time. The link to the chat was at the top of the forums page with a notification as to how many members were in at any one time. People used it as a place to connect in a way that is much more immediate and personal than forum conversations and there'd always be new members coming through as well as regulars that stayed around for years. It's good that Discord servers have taken up that role now since AVEN nerfed chat a couple of years ago, but it's still not the same because the security net is lacking. A lot of the old chat regulars don't feel as safe in Discord servers as they did in AVEN chat and I have many personal acquaintances who just stopped using AVEN at all once chat here bugged out. They haven't had any interest in going to servers on other sites other than private Skype groups. It's sad, but yeah, it's good that at least some alternatives have been offered. I know there are hundreds of people though who long to have the old AVEN chat days back. 

Galactic Turtle

I've never heard of a Discord.

Maybe I'm old.

I still don't get how Tumblr works. 

@__@  

Anthracite_Impreza
4 hours ago, Galactic Turtle said:

Maybe I'm old.

@__@  

I hadn't until recently, I'll be old with you 😐

nerdperson777

Why not just make our own AVEN server?

Also funny thing, my main group has their own emojis.  One is a salt container.  Someone reacted to my salt with salt so I asked, did you salt my salt?

Chill Asexual Discord actually sounds like it might be fun though...fun and Ace Discord usually don't go together though...hmm 🤔

10 minutes ago, nerdperson777 said:

Why not just make our own AVEN server?

Also funny thing, my main group has their own emojis.  One is a salt container.  Someone reacted to my salt with salt so I asked, did you salt my salt?

AVEN is too strict for that. That's why a lot of people have been leaving. And other reasons...

nerdperson777
6 minutes ago, The Dryad said:

AVEN is too strict for that. That's why a lot of people have been leaving. And other reasons...

Strict how?  I mean have a AVEN Discord server.

You'll find that some Discord servers are moderated more strictly than others, with some that are in fact even more strict than AVEN.

7 hours ago, Galactic Turtle said:

Maybe I'm old.

@__@  

:) Oh, good; so, I'm not the only one. 
(https://cyberbullying.org/discord-chat-app-gamers and https://blog.discordapp.com/parents-guide-to-discord-c77d91793e9c), so, perhaps, if you're not really a gamer, like me, or a part of that scene, then it makes sense we didn't know about it. I guess, to help those of us who're older and who don't understand what's different about it, compared to other social media, you could possibly think of it like Yahoo groups, but with some added features, like video and voice.

Yeah. I don't really like the layout of Tumblr blogs, how, when several people post comments, it's weird and confusing, with so many lines/boxes with names, like a genealogy, family-tree chart. I don't know which comment is responding to others.

I don't like joining too many sites, having to invent new usernames and remember several, different passwords. Also, I'm worried about the security of the sites because not all sites have equal protection and whether the site might take up too much bandwidth (my gamer sibling used to like going on so many gaming sites, and our father complained about the websites he went on taking up most of the internet bandwidth in the house, with all of those video features, compared to everyone else; he said it caused issues for everyone else in the house trying to use the internet, making their connections slow). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2018 at 4:27 PM, squaggly said:

Where can I find the invite link to these? I'm already in tge chill one, but I'd like to join some other ones.

You should be able to find links through a search on Google or Disboard (a public Discord server listing), at least for the servers that are advertising. Some servers choose to control growth by limiting advertising.

Mr. Quickhands

Shoutout to Chill Asexual Discord and the friendos that pressured me into trying it. It's pretty fun, I'm glad I gave Discord a shot.

I don't really get discord - are you supposed to be on video/voice chat, or is it ok if you just prefer typing? Can you just join any conversation? It always seems like there's a conversation already going, so I feel weird about joining in, but maybe it's just normal?

2 hours ago, Wizadora said:

I don't really get discord - are you supposed to be on video/voice chat, or is it ok if you just prefer typing? Can you just join any conversation? It always seems like there's a conversation already going, so I feel weird about joining in, but maybe it's just normal?

You can do either/or. I find that most people prefer typing most of the time. As for conversations, the idea is to just jump in wherever. You could also make an introductory post if you wish to raise specific issues.

nerdperson777
5 hours ago, Wizadora said:

It's just a chatroom with different channels for different topics.  There can be a room for talking about cake and another for identities, like we may have an ace channel, a gender channel, a romantic orientation channel.  The only thing is that everyone in the group would be able to see every channel but the voice channel.  Only people in the voice channel can hear the voice chat.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2018 at 7:55 AM, Pramana said:

To use an example I'm familiar with, Chill Asexual Discord https://discord.gg/6wgBr5n required only minimal advertising to expand to ~500 members within six months, a figure that is all the more impressive given regular prunes of inactive/unverified accounts. Such rapid growth is attributable to the fact that Discords are really fun, offering voice chat and facilitating contemporary Internet culture (memes, video games, anime/manga/Pokemon). Currently, a variety of Discord servers offer different community cultures and styles of moderation. I've listed the main ones I'm aware of below. So pick one that's right for you, and get yourself on a Discord!

Hi. everyone! I joind this server yesterday.

Edit: I like to learn English. to join discord , it is for making friendship.

everyone, thank you for reading my writing. I'm happy for joying discord.

I have made an discord community for furries of the ace umbrella, if anyone wants to join here is the link: https://discord.gg/wVzNa4U
Also I do agree, discord will deficiently revolutionize the community. I'm in a generalized demisexual server too.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
7 hours ago, Sylversin said:

I have made an discord community for furries of the ace umbrella, if anyone wants to join here is the link: https://discord.gg/wVzNa4U
Also I do agree, discord will deficiently revolutionize the community. I'm in a generalized demisexual server too.

True 👍

I agree with the above comments, as one of the main advantages of Discord is the ability to flip around among different servers, providing for a more variegated experience when accessing the online aromantic and asexual community.

• 2 months later...

Getting harder to keep track of active Discord servers as numbers continue to grow, so my advice is to search Google and the 'asexual' and 'aromantic' tags on Disboard.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hey all,
I just started an Ace-spec Dating Discord server called Ace Date Space and am inviting people to join! It's a new server but did a lot of research to find what things would work for ace identifying people and what wouldn't. Given how dead a lot of the ace dating spaces are, a discord server has the opportunity to battle a lot of issues aces tend to have with dating apps and such. An LGBTQ+ and trans inclusive space with lots of roles and representation, it's a great place to try and meet someone who gets asexuality and is compatible. Check it out!

My experience of the Discords I've been on is that they're active but heavily American, which is unfortunate for a European like me.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived