Ace added to Oxford dictionary

Éadweard

Today, the Oxford dictionary announced "Ace" (along with aromantic) are among 900 new words added to the dictionary.

"Ace, a shortening of asexual respelled on the model of the existing word ace, is used as a self-designation by many people who identify as asexual, meaning that they do not experience sexual feelings or desires, although they may have romantic feelings and relationships."

Full announcement is here:

https://public.oed.com/blog/new-words-notes-june-2018/

Duke Memphis

Yes! Even the dictionary gives us visibility now!

Take that, Merriam-Webster!

th-emptyhearse

This is so cool!

th-emptyhearse

I see the announcement even has a bit about romantic orientations too (hetero, homo, and aro)

Yay - this is really neat! Now if only they'd update the print versions so you could literally beat someone over the head with the definitions when needed...

In all seriousness, the full word list is really interesting - I love that they added a few different romantic orientations. One thing that stuck out to me was the fact that pansexual was apparently just added as well (though not panromantic weirdly enough). I'd always figured it was a fairly well-known orientation and therefore would have been added earlier (though I'm not pan so I probably shouldn't assume), but I'm glad to see it there nonetheless.

This calls for dictionary cake!

Image result for dictionary cake

HeartOfTheCards33

oxford-senpai has finally noticed us!!😍

RoseGoesToYale

Please excuse me, I need to go out right now and buy a dictionary...

:cake::cake::cake:

Archived