Why I'm stepping down

Tanwen

I really, REALLY hate having to step down but there isn't an alternative as I just don't have the time to mod at the moment. My Open University module took up a lot more time than I ever imagined, but I was just about coping when I decided to take Dinozzo (older Lab) to Scentwork, with Barney already doing Rally it involves a lot of training -- then add in overtime at work and, well, something had to give :( . I mostly do the early shifts which means starting at 6.30 - 8am and I have to get up very early and I don't sleep very well so I'm getting extremely tired. Most afternoons I fall asleep in the chair -- getting far too old for this game :( . I often say I'll be working up to the day of my funeral and I'll likely have to take a day's holiday and knowing my luck it will be a case of 'Sorry, too many people off that day. Could you die next week instead?'  :D

I'll be stopping by periodically but not on a regular basis. I'll let you know (if you're interested) how I get on with my studies. Our results are due out on 17th July and I'll either be doing a 'happy dance' all over the board or crying in my rooibos tea. I've failed to complete two previous modules so this time I was on 'restricted access' and I have to pass in order to be able to progress, so it's a very tense time and if I fail then it was a waste of a resignation; but hope springs eternal and all that . Competitions are starting up in Rally, Dinozzo has some way to go till he's up to competition standard but he's very enthusiastic :lol: 

At least it's for good reasons. 

Best wishes with your education and dog-training and work! And please do keep us posted on your progress. There's always the 50s thread. :D 

Thank you so much for your service to AVEN!  Moderating is probably a thankless job but I want you to know I really have appreciated your contributions, and getting to know you through your posts on the 50's thread.  I wish you much success and good luck, and please don't be a stranger.

You could come back at any time (and run for mod again!) when time opens up.  I know very well what you mean about age diminishing energy a bit.  You do have to check in regularly here -- you've been on AVEN before I joined, and that's quite a long time now -- to me, you are AVEN!.   :wub: 

Boo that you're stepping down, but, at least it's because you're too busy. Good luck with these new modules. 🎂 🎂 

You have to do what's best to take care of business, @Tanwen. Stop by as often as you can. Good luck!

I seriously considered becoming a moderator a couple years ago but never went through the process because I knew how much time would be needed. Completely understandable with all of that going on. Just remember to keep in touch!

As if I didn't have enough on my plate, just started my application to have Barney accepted as a Pets as Therapy dog. 

• 2 months later...

Been a busy summer - Barney didn't qualify at all at the Rally comp in July -- it was just too hot for him and the poor boy had absolutely nothing to give me, but I'm going to enter Daventry next month. My son got married on 21 Aug  and not only did I actually turn up but I actually got up on an empty dance floor with my two sons, daughter in law (Linda, not Laura) and granddaughter. I feel I can accomplish almost anything now :lol:

I have  my second module booked and the finance in place for it, so good to go 6th October :D 

Oh, and another 'first time' -- I have NAILS!! Went to a nail salon and got some nails for John and Laura's wedding. Still trying to get used to the idea and taking my contacts out is a challenge. :lol: 

Sounds like a good Summer (except for the heat). Good luck with your continued studies! 

Forgot to mention that I informed my line manager that I'm dropping Mondays w.e.f. 1 October. It has been my 'dream' since I started work at 17 (so a LOT of years ago) to  have a two-day working week and a five-day weekend (instead of the other way round). From October I'll have made it...living the dream  :lol::lol:  

On 6/14/2018 at 1:07 PM, Tanwen said:

I really, REALLY hate having to step down but there isn't an alternative...

I often say I'll be working up to the day of my funeral and I'll likely have to take a day's holiday and knowing my luck it will be a case of 'Sorry, too many people off that day. Could you die next week instead?'  :D

Sorry to see your leaving but keep us updated.

The latter sounds like my former workplace. Staffing cut to the bone and if one person has a nose bleed, the whole house of cards collapses.

Good luck on the schooling and dog training.

21 hours ago, Tanwen said:

Forgot to mention that I informed my line manager that I'm dropping Mondays w.e.f. 1 October. It has been my 'dream' since I started work at 17 

I started work at 17 also, immediately after high school.  I still regret missing college years, since they seem to have been so valuable to everyone else.  

14 hours ago, will123 said:

The latter sounds like my former workplace. Staffing cut to the bone and if one person has a nose bleed, the whole house of cards collapses.

Good luck on the schooling and dog training.

The other week I had a customer ranting at me because he had to wait; he said we should have a 'bank' of employees waiting to be called in when we're busy and regular staff are sick/on holiday.

"Do you know how much profit Tesco made last year?" he demanded

I replied , "Yes, and I didn't see any of it!" 

26 minutes ago, Tanwen said:

The other week I had a customer ranting at me because he had to wait; he said we should have a 'bank' of employees waiting to be called in when we're busy and regular staff are sick/on holiday.

"Do you know how much profit Tesco made last year?" he demanded

I replied , "Yes, and I didn't see any of it!" 

Great comeback!

My brother had an issue when his driveway was paved. Talking to a neighbour who saw the driveway being paved while brother was away on vacation. The neighbour said the paving crew was some outfit that was from a city two hours away (and not the company he contacted to pave the driveway).

When he confronted the owner about the other outfit doing the paving the owner responded, "Oh we outsource some of our work". Brother was pissed, "Don't get me started on outsourcing! I work for GM and they invented it!"

• 2 months later...

Got the results of my first assignment of this module and....(drum roll).... 82%  :o 

Oh, and I'm LOVING my 5 day weekends :lol: 

One of today's exercises was to calculate our Carbon Footprint. The average for the UK is 14.6 tonnes of CO2e per person per year. Mine is 10.9 - I have to set a personal target which is going to be a bit tough, only thing I can think of is to grow my own veg, unfortunately walking to work is not an option. My name is on a waiting list for an allotment :) 

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

It was great having you as a moderator, and I hope you pass in class :) 

22 hours ago, Shieldmaiden WinterDragon said:

It was great having you as a moderator, and I hope you pass in class :) 

It was fun - but don't have the  time now :) 

THe course is interesting, and I've a lovely tutor again. I took and Arts and Humanities module last year -- fascinating 

I have an arts and humanities elective that I took this semester for my college courses - Philosophy of Science. So far we've talked about the differences between science, pseudoscience, and scientism. It looks to be an interesting class.

57 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

I have an arts and humanities elective that I took this semester for my college courses - Philosophy of Science. So far we've talked about the differences between science, pseudoscience, and scientism. It looks to be an interesting class.

That does sound like an interesting class!

(I am currently reading The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe book, put out by the same people who do a podcast by the same name - alternating between that and The Silmarillion, almost to the last bit before the Akallabêth.)

Back on topic - I'm glad to see you both enjoying your education! :D 

We did art. how to look at and interpret a painting; art of the Benin, history (Anthony and Cleopatra);philosophy;ancient theatre Oedipus,and Burial at Thebes, and Doctor Faustus, Irish history. Our final assignment was 'What makes a place sacred', covering Glastonbury, Stonehenge, Durrington Walls and Milton Keynes (yes, a modern city - no history of its own but they incorporated references to Stonehenge, and the principal road through the city is aligned with the rising midsummer sun.

@Tanwen, I thought all the roundabouts on Milton Keynes paid tribute to Danté's "Ten circles of Hell" 😋 😋 

I am re-reading 'Silent Spring' by Rachel Carson (kick started the whole environmental movement in 1962) and downloaded 'Silent spring Revisited' by Connor Mark Jameson 

*Sits back and waits for daveb to come out with a comment about 'Brideshead' :lol: :lol: :lol: 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa
On 11/10/2018 at 9:32 PM, Skycaptain said:

@Tanwen, I thought all the roundabouts on Milton Keynes paid tribute to Danté's "Ten circles of Hell" 😋 😋 

I spent 40 minutes yesterday just sitting around at three different bus stops while the driver whiled away his time vaping on the pavement because Milton Keynes has this requirement of the X5 bus....☹️

11 hours ago, Tanwen said:

I am re-reading 'Silent Spring' by Rachel Carson (kick started the whole environmental movement in 1962) and downloaded 'Silent spring Revisited' by Connor Mark Jameson 

*Sits back and waits for daveb to come out with a comment about 'Brideshead' :lol: :lol: :lol: 

That was a trailblazer of a book @Tanwen. It's amazing what observation can do.

Archived