Ace Characters

Kinsey E.

So I'm working on a book that I hope to one day get published, and two of the characters are asexual, one of which being the main character. Now, I've only recently started identifying as ace (it's been a few months) and while I can and will draw from my own experience, a part of me is still terrified that I'm going to get these two wrong. One is someone who is comfortable (for the most part) about her asexuality, and the other is someone who is just starting to realize it. 

While I'm still trying to figure out some other things (like if i should give the main ace character a "love interest.") I was wondering if there's any advice anyone can give so I don't accidentally screw this up?  Or if there are any good ace characters in media that I can kinda turn to for inspiration? 

Is the main character the one just realizing? A love interest would be appropriate but the ace character would be confused into thinking, "he/she loves me therefore I ought to love him/her but do I love and in particular, do I love in that sexual way. he/she is nice and I like hanging around with him/her but is that enough?"

One good representation of an asexual self-discovery is Gerald Tippet from the New Zealand soap Shortland Street.

Someone uploaded the complete asexuality storyline on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgju7QrWszA&t=2s

The quality isn't the best, but it's okay.

Good luck with your book!

From what I've seen, asexual characters are often seen as robotic/alien. How about someone being normal as asexual?

I've looked at my library database for asexual stories and haven't really found any. I look forward to hearing about your book!

girlwiththelongskirt

Have you 'decided'on what the romantic orientation of your characters is? I would personally find it very interesting to see representation of asexuals in a relationship because people often assume when you're asexual you don't want a relationship (not true!). If you decide to let one (or both) of the characters have a relationship it can be with an allowsexual (you can write about them figuring out how they can both be satisfied/comfortable in the relationship) or with an asexual (you can write about a relationship without sex, maybe without kissing. I personally think this is especially interesting for allowsexual people to read because they often don't understand how these relationships are different from friendships). I really like thinking about these things and how ace representation can improve so if you ever want to talk more about it or have questions you can always message me. Good luck!

I've spent years thinking that the main difference between friendships and relationships was sex, and maybe cuddling. So maybe you can put something like that for the MC, them figuring out romantic love doesn't necessarily involve sex, even if the rest of the world thinks otherwise, and that the people involved in a relationship are the ones who put tags in it. When I finally can restart to write my own story I'm gonna use something like this for the MC.

And i you want two Ace characters, how about making the one comfortable with their identity an Aro? Maybe they can help the MC figuring out themselves? That way you include both a romantic and an aromantic and give both some representation and love. Just, don't make them robotic, if you could make at least one of them an outgoing, sociable person it would be better. But it's your story, just do it how you want to, if you don't enjoy it, what's the point?

9 hours ago, Char-lotte99 said:

Have you 'decided'on what the romantic orientation of your characters is?

for the main character, Alyssa, i haven't really decided. the more that i think about it the more demiromantic keeps popping into my head. As for the second character, Lyndon, he's aromantic 

12 hours ago, Kinsey E. said:

Or if there are any good ace characters in media that I can kinda turn to for inspiration? 

If you don't mind reading m/m romance (male/male) I recommend the following books to see how different authors deal with characters:

His Quiet Agent by Ada Maria Soto

How to be a Normal Person by T.J. Klune

All the Wrong Places (Bluewater Bay #14) by Ann Gallagher

For a Good Time, Call ... (Bluewater Bay # 17) by Anne Tenino - features a demisexual character

Finding Your Feet (Toronto Connections #2) by Cass Lennox (m/f)

Blank Spaces (Toronto Connections #1) by Cass Lennox (m/m)

Ace of Hearts by Devyn Morgan

I'm sure there are lots of others, but these are the books I've actually read and enjoyed. All of the above authors are people who write in a niche genre, are pretty competent at their craft, and know how to write about relationships between very diverse and interesting characters.

16 hours ago, bejjinks said:

Is the main character the one just realizing? A love interest would be appropriate but the ace character would be confused into thinking, "he/she loves me therefore I ought to love him/her but do I love and in particular, do I love in that sexual way. he/she is nice and I like hanging around with him/her but is that enough?"

Actually, it's the secondary character who is just starting to figure it out, with the help of the main character. If I were going to give my MC a love interest, though, it'd be her first relationship so it'd all still be really new to her. 

girlwiththelongskirt

I would love to read/see/have representation of a relationship without kissing/sex. I know that (especially kissing) a relationship with an asexual doesn't have to be like that but it's something I never see anywhere. The first kiss is often shown as a sign that people are now in a relationship and I would love to see a relationship develop without that. They can go on dates, love each other, hug, et cetera but why does there always have to be a kiss (and sex) to show that their relationship is real and valid?

Archived