Buzzfeed: Who Are LGBTQ Americans? Here’s A Major Poll On Life, Sex, and Politics.

Puck

Interesting article detailing a study recently done on 880 Americans who are LGBTQ+

https://www.buzzfeed.com/dominicholden/lgbtq-in-the-us-poll?utm_term=.miZ0W5M58D#.awX6WanaGr

Interestingly, only %1 identify as ace. This is interesting because it is thought that asexuals make up %1 of the population and LGBTQ+ makes up 4-5%, so (in theory) if asexuals are included in that 4-5% they should make up near 20-25%. I assume this difference in percents is because not all asexuals identify as LGBTQ+, so this study may not have been able to get a fair representation of asexuals as much as a representation of asexuals that consider themselves LGBTQ+.

Also, notice that %1 in the study are straight... So this really must be going with "people who identify with the community" rather than those who are a sexual/gender minority.

But hey, it's awesome that we were included!

I suspect that a larger percent of people have a very low drive , but still consider themselves sexual; I also wonder if over time the number will grow, but I do really expect it to always be smaller. 

Also, I found this chart interesting, just because the frequency with which one has sex is often chatted about here on AVEN :P

sub-buzz-9889-1528841872-2.jpg?downsize=

I mean, it's a small sample and only LGBTQ+, but honestly people have less sex than I personally thought! Especially considering only %1 of those surveyed are asexual.

To be fair, though, this was across age ranges so perhaps things are skewed because people have sex less frequently over time. So those that had it once or twice per week may all be under 40 while those who had it once or twice a month are over 40 and so on...

1 minute ago, spazzticsoda said:

I suspect that a larger percent of people have a very low drive , but still consider themselves sexual; I also wonder if over time the number will grow, but I do really expect it to always be smaller. 

True, but asexuality is about attraction, not drive, so that wouldn't change the percents.

I do think the number will grow. I've seen a lot more asexual acceptance and visibility, so I think that will translate to more folks seeing themselves as LGBTQ+!

I guess the 1% straight people could be straight trans people.

I also am surprised by the low percentage of asexuals. Though I suppose the poll didn't differentiate between romantic and sexual orientations, so people who are romantic asexuals would have to choose either asexual or gay/bi/etc.

Toxic masculinity is still a big problem that contributes to a lot of male aces, especially the older ones, not seeking a place or "label" for themselves. As we're seeing the ideas about masculinity change with the younger generations, this statistic will as well. 

2 minutes ago, TheAP said:

I guess the 1% straight people could be straight trans people.

You are so right, I feel foolish for not thinking of that!

2 hours ago, Puck said:

Also, I found this chart interesting, just because the frequency with which one has sex is often chased about here on AVEN :P

sub-buzz-9889-1528841872-2.jpg?downsize=

I mean, it's a small sample and only LGBTQ+, but honestly people have less sex than I personally thought! Especially considering only %1 of those surveyed are asexual.

To be fair, though, this was across age ranges so perhaps things are skewed because people have sex less frequently over time. So those that had it once or twice per week may all be under 40 while those who had it once or twice a month are over 40 and so on...

That's kind of an odd break-down of frequency descriptors. Once or twice a month could be several times a year, for example. It looks like the answers are arranged in order of percentages of people choosing that answer. 

As far as aces go, maybe the pollsters methods of getting participants were such that not a lot of aces were included unless they were active in LGBT organizations/communities. That might also explain why some of the other percentages (such as age) came out the way they did?

7 hours ago, borkfork said:

Toxic masculinity is still a big problem that contributes to a lot of male aces, especially the older ones, not seeking a place or "label" for themselves. As we're seeing the ideas about masculinity change with the younger generations, this statistic will as well. 

You are so right. Growing up I must have heard "Be a man", "Men don't cry" (I was a crybaby) and things like that more often than my own name. But what the hell is "being a man"? So as I grew I watched all the toxic masculinity in TV and my classmates and assumed that's what it meant, so I became an idiot (which was hurting me at the same time). I tried to be a "manly" man, an example of an heterosexual man...

Either way, this is not supposed to be a rant. It is bad, and the lack of asexual visibility makes some of us just "default" to being heterosexual "because it's the normal thing", and it can be so harmful. And I'm not even an older person, I'm just 25. Older people must have had it so much worse.

Archived