Questions about bi and ace regarding LGBT(+)

The Sad Ghost

Okay, so when bi (and pan) people are together with a gender of opposite, they are not oppressed right? But they are still included in the lgbt. Aces who are together with a gender of opposite aren't included because they are not oppressed. But if you are an ace homoromantic, you are included. Why aren't bi also only included if they are together with the same gender? I don't fully understand it.

And why aren't people who are bot ace and aro included?

No hate, just wondering

You're describing bi-erasure which is a problem for the bisexual community, this extends into pan-erasure. Erasure is a form of oppression and ace erasure exists. Making a "who has it worse" contest is counterproductive.

https://www.bustle.com/p/5-myths-about-bisexuality-that-contribute-to-bi-erasure-2418689

• Like 1

Can I add another question that I don't understand either? it's probably going to sound ignorant, so I'm sorry if it offends somebody, it is NOT my intention.

LGB represent sexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality. But T represents Transgender, right?

I now they are all oppressed in many ways, but why does the community mix sexuality and gender under the same banner? Shouldn't they be separate issues? I don't understand why then there is a problem (apparently. I, again, know nothing really about this topic) with asexuality in the LGBT+ community.

I repeat, I don't want to offend someone, I just don't know and/or understand. 

• Like 1
The Sad Ghost
2 minutes ago, borkfork said:

You're describing bi-erasure which is a problem for the bisexual community, this extends into pan-erasure. 

But isn't it quite the same for ace? People ignoring our existence?

28 minutes ago, The Sad Ghost said:

But isn't it quite the same for ace? People ignoring our existence?

In many ways I think so.  This has actually been heavily debated recently, but the key argument seems to hinge on the whole oppression thing and there are opinions on both sides. (for the record I'm pro-inclusion) Some say that since aces don't suffer as severely, we don't belong, and the same logic would apply to bi's who are in hetero relationships.  I think it's BS and basically turns into a pissing contest about who has it worse which creates division when we should really all be supporting each other 

• Like 1
nanogretchen4

The coalition movement started with LGBT because those were the identities of the original founders of the movement. All of these identities face oppression because of failing to conform to mainstream society's gender expectations in various ways. It looks to me like a disproportionate number of asexuals are trans, gender queer, or interested in relationships with someone other than a cisgender member of the opposite sex. So many asexuals are already part of the movement's core demographic. Cis hetero aces are welcome to join but I think it's reasonable to expect that they be allies to the other groups in the coalition.

• Like 1

I've heard at least two homoromantic asexuals mention that their homosexual friends/other homosexual people in the LGBT+ community told them that since they didn't want sex, that "they're not really gay and aren't a part of the LGBT+ community."

So, that's another example of erasure in the LGBT+ community.

The Sad Ghost
13 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

I've heard at least two homoromantic asexuals mention that their homosexual friends/other homosexual people in the LGBT+ community told them that since they didn't want sex, that "they're not really gay and aren't a part of the LGBT+ community."

So, that's another example of erasure in the LGBT+ community.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry, wtf

nanogretchen4

Yeah, that's really stupid. Homophobic losers don't wait to ask a lot of detailed questions about your sex life and how you feel about it before they harass or discriminate against you.

9 hours ago, nanogretchen4 said:

The coalition movement started with LGBT because those were the identities of the original founders of the movement.

Oh, so that's why! That makes sense. Thanks for answering.

By the way, sorry @The Sad Ghost for just adding my question to your post without asking.

Sweet Potato

actually,  it started just LG. the B and T both struggled for acceptance before it became mainstream. now its the I and A that get left out in some circles. really hopping the P gets added to the acronym.

LGBTQIAP+ or maybe just GSM.

17 minutes ago, Sweet Potato said:

LGBTQIAP+ or maybe just GSM.

Yeah, maybe it should get changed to Gender and Sexual minorities or something similar, seems more encompassing (and easier to remember).  But as I do not consider myself part of the community it's not my decision to make.

The Sad Ghost
5 hours ago, Akito said:

Oh, so that's why! That makes sense. Thanks for answering.

By the way, sorry @The Sad Ghost for just adding my question to your post without asking.

Don't worry! It was a good question also

14 hours ago, nanogretchen4 said:

Yeah, that's really stupid. Homophobic losers don't wait to ask a lot of detailed questions about your sex life and how you feel about it before they harass or discriminate against you.

Yeah. My theory is that they might've said that to the homoromantic aces out of frustration in finding out that they were asexual and that they wouldn't have sex with them and to, perhaps, try to pressure or guilt trip them into having sex with them, in order to "belong" with their gay community.

ah, is it not good to be the martyred, to be dashed across the rocks?  if we were to have enemies that slay us we must have stood for something important. let us take those who show us anger and call them the populus...I know no other way to find Valhalla

Janus the Fox

I naturally go by an all inclusive LGBT myself :)