Sex on TV & Misophonia

slice_of_pie

Misophonia, literally "hatred of sound", was proposed in 2000 as a condition in which negative emotions, thoughts, and physical reactions are triggered by specific sounds.

Like a lot of you on here I have issues with sex scenes on television and in movies. I've noticed some of you are indifferent to it, you find it to be more unnecessary than outright offensive. While there are others who really get bugged out by it and have to remove themselves from the room or change the channel. I belong to the latter. I've been trying to work out what it is about the sex scenes that bothers me the most and I'm pretty sure it's the sound. The panting, moaning, screaming and carrying on. My skin starts to crawl, my hair stands on end, and the overwhelming fight or flight instinct kicks in. Couple that with naked people I don't know and all the stupid facial expressions and I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof. I know I have misophonia, there are a range of sounds that effect me negatively, so I think this might actually be a valid link.

Can anyone else relate, or even understand what I'm on about? LOL.

• Like 1

No kidding? My sister has misophonia, but her triggers are things like lip smacks, nail clipping, etc. It never even occurred to me that sex-related sounds could do that, although I suppose anything is possible.

• Like 1

I don't know if it is because i'm just that used to those scenes in films, or just don't care about them, but my mind just flies away during sex scenes. Like an advertisement break in the middle off a movie. I just feel those scenes are unnecessary, but they don't trigger me and I don't have to go away o change the channel, I just get bored.

2 hours ago, slice_of_pie said:

My skin starts to crawl, my hair stands on end, and the overwhelming fight or flight instinct kicks in.

That happens to me, but it is mostly on games when hearing insect noises.

• Like 1
slice_of_pie

My main trigger is nail biting. Noisy eating too.

If I'm having sex, sex sounds don't bother me. It's just sex scenes. Weird lol.

7 hours ago, slice_of_pie said:

My main trigger is nail biting. Noisy eating too.

If I'm having sex, sex sounds don't bother me. It's just sex scenes. Weird lol.

That's pretty standard, isn't it? My sister could make all the noises without bothering herself, it was just when other people did it. "Like how you can't tickle yourself," she would say.