Asexual but still masturbate?

Ok I'm not sure what it is if it's borderm habit or what idk but I'm asexual & still masturbate.  Is that actually a thing? I never think sexual thing's when I do it I just like the feeling of it. I've heard loads of people say asexual people don't masturbate is this true ? Or is it actually a thing that some ace people still do it ?

• Like 1

That's quite common. Many asexual people do it. Many asexual people don't.

Many asexual people have sex, too. Asexuality is about a lack of sexual attraction, not what you're doing with your nether regions!

• Like 5

Some do some don't!  There are still lots of aces who have a libido, they just don't want a partner and prefer to take matters into their own hands.

• Like 4

Personally, I used to masturbate a pretty significant amount (for an asexual, at least). I also used to have sex. Don't do as much masturbation, but I still do sometimes. Haven't had sex since last year, and I'm not really looking to. Many people are asexual and still have a libido and experience physical arousal. Many still masturbate but don't have those.

Biblioromantic

Masturbation is totally normal, even for asexuals. Our bodies still function properly and can get aroused. Our minds still fantasize, although the types of fantasies are often different than what I understand is normal for allosexuals. And some aces, like myself, have a pretty kickin' libido. We aren't sexually attracted to anyone and/or have zero desire for partnered sex, so who else is gonna take care of those needs? We are, ourselves!

There are a plethora of threads on AVEN about masturbation, particularly in The Sex Talk, where some people really get into the nitty-gritty. For more generalized discussion, there are also some threads in Questions about Asexuality, and you can compare what you've been doing to some of the others' responses, although I think the threads get moved to The Sex Talk area once a mod sees them.

• Like 1

Thanks for all these replys.i only posted this as I have been accused of not being ace. I don't like sex it just cringed me out but I still do masturbate. I think I'm just still confused haha

• 2 weeks later...

I have not told anyone about being asexual except a counselor that I talk to sometimes, she does not think that Iam because I masturbate and that I was married, but the thing is I never had luck with relationships, I stopped dating for 16 years because I thought it was to stressful, I think women are attractive it I don’t have a desire to have sex with anyone. I have female friends but there has never been the desire to have we. With them, I have dated several women but I always ended up alone, I figured there had to be something wrong with me, I started to read and research about sex, sexuality, masturbation, asexuality, and everything thing I read about it seemed to click, I found this site and I can relate to most everyone in some way or another. I knew what asexual was but never thought that was me because i have always been curious about sexual stuff, I have a pretty high libido and I enjoy masturbation and do it quite a bit. It I know this is what Iam and I am fine with it

• 1 year later...
Alyssa2001

I actually had the same question.  I am asexual but still masturbate, but would never want to do anything sexual with another human being. From what I’m told asexual isnt always the total lack of sexual desire, but that there is a lack of desire to preform that act with another human being. Is that right?

• Like 2
NickyTannock

@Alyssa2001 Welcome to AVEN!

Yes, that's right.

Asexuality is not a lack of libido, but a lack of Sexual Attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to have sex with someone.
Meaning an Asexual can experience arousal, have sex, and masturbate, but if what you're feeling doesn't lead to the desire to have sex with the person you're feeling it towards, then it's not Sexual Attraction, even if it is an attraction or arousal.

Incidentally, it is a tradition here to welcome new members by offering cake, and here's a 'Close Your Eyes and Live Your Dreams' Cake,

s2lnjtv9yztdq5pwl9tw.jpg

• Like 1

Some do and some don’t.

Even if our minds work differently in some ways, our bodies were still designed with sex in the equation. Some probably do it to combat that. Some probably do it for enjoyment (since that seems to be a common thing that I see people say about it). Perhaps they want a bit of a mood swing as hormones and neurotransmitters flood their brain afterwards.

I don’t myself, but asexual is defined by a lack of sexual attraction to others, not a lack of sexual energy (or libido, but that word means more than just that).

rainbowocollie
On 6/12/2018 at 7:18 AM, Mike-95 said:

Thanks for all these replys.i only posted this as I have been accused of not being ace. I don't like sex it just cringed me out but I still do masturbate. I think I'm just still confused haha

Yea, a lot of people don't understand the difference between libido and sexual desire. 

N8ty L3asT

I see it as like a chore cuz like if you don’t you get ......that.

• 3 years later...

I identify as assexual and I feel attracted to woman and I have fantasies but none of them are related to sex. I don't mind to be touched, but I feel extremely uncomfortable when someone touch on my intimacy or suggests sex. To avoid the break up of my relationships the max I did was masturbate someone else.