the pride parade

Yeast

Today I attended the LGBT pride parade downtown. As planned, the bus took me to an intersection nearest the event and from there I only needed to know which direction the parade was. A quick visit to a corner store sent me in the proper direction and as I approached my destination, multicolored rainbow flags were much in abundance. Perhaps it would be unkind to call the parade a freak show but occasionally people would pass me in rather strange attire. Besides superheroes of all spots and stripes, there was the group who had painted their faces to look somewhat like a pack of dogs. Both sexes sported fluffy, multicolored tutus here and there. Some people had angel wings or wore inflatable unicorns on their heads. A bizarre looking bicycle which resembled a trolley car crept past whose passengers peddled it as a group. What really caught my attention was some fellow on a surf board with wheels under it. Apparently self powered, it also illuminated its alabaster opaqueness with a shifting pattern of tiny rectangles. All sexes, all ages, all races were thronging about.My friend was there and I got the proper t shirt for our group. We all marched about a half mile down the street to the cheers of people on the sides of the street and those waving down at us from apartment balconies.  Quite a few children were also in attendance and one little girl had a machine that filled the air with dozens of tiny soap bubbles. Rainbow colored ones, too. I suppose I fit as well into this happy crowd as much as anyone else but I don't remember seeing any definitely asexual themes anywhere.  Maybe next time I'll wear a big placard with an ace of spades on either side.  

DaniBooBoo1214

I wish there were ace pride events where I lived but the town seems to be too boring/lazy to do anything really exciting. Glad you got to go to one though.

@Yeast, Asexuality is a minority within a minority. Personal experience suggests that most pride parades are highly sexualised, because their primary role is to celebrate LGBT, ther rest of the expansion of sexual minority awareness came afterwards. I get the impression that whilst awareness of asexulity is more apparent amongst the non-cis-hetero community, even here it's not totally understood 

StrangerThing

I went to my local Pride parade last night and there was only one little hint of aceness (besides me) - a shirt being sold that said "We are all HUMAN".  The letters of HUMAN were various pride flags, with the H being the ace flag.  

I was going to go to pride but asexual people were excluded ("A" is for ally, NOT asexual"). So I didn't go. But I live in North Carolina, so it's not like I didn't expect that. 

Then again, in my experience, even in the few places where I've see aseuxal people are welcomed on the surface, it's very superficial. Everyone else looks down on us, and they make no effort to try to understand or treat us as equals. It still feels quite hostile, although I guess it's some sort of victory for us that our existence is even acknowledged. 

• 2 weeks later...
GutsyCowardLep
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:10 PM, Palovana said:

I was going to go to pride but asexual people were excluded ("A" is for ally, NOT asexual"). So I didn't go. But I live in North Carolina, so it's not like I didn't expect that. 

Then again, in my experience, even in the few places where I've see aseuxal people are welcomed on the surface, it's very superficial. Everyone else looks down on us, and they make no effort to try to understand or treat us as equals. It still feels quite hostile, although I guess it's some sort of victory for us that our existence is even acknowledged. 

To be honest that's why I'm kind of hesitant to interact with local LGBTQ community because that there will be no acceptance or a superficial one if at all.  

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

You 'll have to raise awareness before they take any notice. If you don't shout these days.....although in my time the saying was 'empty vessels...'

To Each Their Own

Our pride parade is tomorrow (July 14). I’ll be marching with the transgender contingent but I’ll be wearing an Asexual t-shirt. Visibility is always important to me!

Last year I marched with the military contingent and had a trans flag in one hand and an asexual flag in the other. During the festival, I saw at least four other people with asexual flags.  I understand that it really depends on the city, but I have yet to encounter any hate for it. But even if I did encounter any kind of hate because of it, I would still continue to do it because that is the only way things are going to change. I also understand that not everyone is in a position where they can be that defiant. I can, and that is why I will continue to be a visible and proud asexual at every pride event that I go to...because not everyone has that luxury.

Archived