thread for people who dislike Facebook

ben8884

Ms. Carolynne

I've been rather on the fence about Facebook, for years actually. I used to have an account like 9 years ago, but didn't use it much and didn't feel a need for it.

I want one now for the utility of keeping in touch with people and following certain groups, but despise all the baggage and lack of privacy. I also dislike how it is viewed as an obligatory thing among my peers.

For the most part I use SMS to contact my friends and family, and will call if it's important. If I have anything serious which would require a conversation, or just want to socialize, I'll organize to do so in person. I feel one can't have as effective personal conversation via telecommunication, not to mention it opens you up to being logged and tracked.

I think Facebook and the like are great tools (or at least have the potential to be), but they get abused. I feel this way about modern technology and our current society in general though.

Kind of a tangent, but I know some folks who struggle to do math on paper (not to mention mental math) as they're dependant on calculators. There was this one kid serving me at McDonald's making some small talk, who mentioned not needing to know math because he can just use a calculator. They're tools, not crutches so one can be intellectually lazy <_<

Facebook was cool when I was in undergrad (late 2000s). Now it has become a cross between LinkedIn and a baby photo album.

I never had a Facebook account in my entire life. At some point I felt as if I could no longer go on boycotting it, because of the job I had at the time. But I resisted.

There are few things I'm proud of; this is one of them.

I remember having facebook back when only the kids knew about it and had fun on there. that was probably a decade ago. but I really dont like Facebook even though i have one to keep up with school affairs. I'm a private person and i dont want all my business to be out on the internet or have people I haven't spoken to in years keep in contact with my stuff. I know that's kinda the point of social media but facebook is basically structured to document your entire life, or as much you put into it, which a lot of older people do. It's nice to use to connect with other people at my uni but that's as much praise as I'll give it. Also relatives drama I hear people deal with all the time over facebook. I dont have the patience to deal with that 

J. van Deijck

I don't even have an account there and I see no point.

I hate Facebook. In addition to their questionable social experiments and all the information leaking, the place is a morass of incomprehensible memes and pictures of things that nobody really wants a picture of. It's difficult if not impossible to carry on a reasonable conversation.

I have had a Facebook account for the past ten years, horribly enough, because at that time I worked at a place where people insisted on only posting important news on Facebook. I spent one day standing around outside a closed building in the pouring rain trying to figure out if an event was actually taking place, and decided that I'd go ahead and get a bloody Facebook account so I would know what was going on.

There are only two reasons that I still have one. The first is for marketing purposes, because as a freelance illustrator and comic artist it's kind of necessary to communicate with people somehow, and the second is that I know a handful of people who I really like and want to arrange things with but are essentially unreachable without it. If either of those things changes, I'd delete it immediately.

I think that the original premise -- keeping in contact with friends and family, even if they have moved far away -- is good and valid, but Facebook completely fails to accomplish that in a reasonable fashion, and the definition of 'friend' is so loose as to be meaningless. I'd be fine with something that's basically a big forum for all your friends, but that is not at all what Facebook is.

RakshaTheCat

Heh, I actually made myself an account just to check out New Zealand ACE group... So I guess it is kinda useful for that, even if it feels messy with all that random stuff floating everywhere...

Yes we should get rid of FB.More useless than useful,and in some countries is a tool for manipulations and fake news.

Other than that,I couldnt care less,I made some years ago 1 acc.but is kinda inactive 4ever,not sure if it can be deleted nowadays.And never made 1 post,so it's like I dont have any.A good decision 4me,even if those years were a bit turbulent I still made the right choice.

Anthracite_Impreza

Like all things FB can be good or bad. It can be useful for people who live far apart, small businesses and organisations/social movements, and that's the road it should've gone down/stayed.

Sadly it didn't. It's become a cesspit of advertising, rampant bigotry, trolls and deliberately addictive features that have caused a ridiculous amount of problems in society. People have literally killed each other and themselves over FB posts, falsities spread like viruses, the value of humans are reduced to the amount of likes they get... It could have, could still, do good, but I don't have much hope any time soon.

I would never advocate banning it though, as long as it retains some semblance of policing. Free speech and all that.

Member131995

Okay, I literally came here just to say, I really hate FB. I had my first account back when I was maybe 11 or twelve, about 2 years after it was first launched. I recently deleted my account, forever, about a year ago and I don't miss it. I hated the news on the side that came with one of the more recent updates. I hated how after using it over the years, it turned into fake news and people obsessed with likes, actually this is my major contention with the site (reminds me of Nosedive from Black Mirror). Ugh...

• 4 weeks later...
Tabula Rasa

I have a Facebook account, and have considered deleting it at times. I hate how it's almost a requirement if you're in business, making your bottom line depend on it. I'm thinking about starting up an online business, and if I get rid of Facebook, there goes a huge percentage of potential clients.

The people I live with are also friends with me on Facebook, and they are very right wing and vocal about supporting Trump. Sure they have freedom of speech. I have no place on my page to put my own opinions because even if those friends are on my restricted list (and they are), they can still visit my wall and see what I've posted. I can post on liberal pages of course, and that's probably the route I'll take if I decide to keep Facebook. Otherwise, the only way to unfriend my housemates without making drama in the house is to delete my account.

I don't use Facebook, at least, not directly. If I really need to know something from it, I can just go ask someone with a Facebook account. If I need to talk to someone remotely, I can text them.

Beyond that...

congressional_testimony.png

Yup, there's an XKCD for that.

So it had been a little while since I've run into someone that acted like they wanted my contact info, but the other day someone I spoke to did and of course the first thing out of their mouth after verifying my name was, "Okay, I'll add you on Facebook."

It's both awkward and funny to inform them that I do not have one, but they're welcome to call/text or email me. I'd almost forgotten how people flounder without the option of facebook.

• 2 weeks later...
GutsyCowardLep

since this is a Facebook hate thread I will put out I've never been on Facebook or Twitter. 

(NotSo)DirtyDiana

Oh I loathe Facebook, and my reasons for that may be more unusual. I actually dropped out of school at just 14 with anxiety, depression, and a breakdown. I'd increasingly had a hard time at school and when I finally convinced my parents to take me out, I cracked. I lost most of my friends, never wanted to see anyone from school ever again. Fast forward to when I was 18, I got in touch with a few old friends, met up with them and joined Myspace in the hopes that I'd reunite with them properly. Nope... it was a disaster. They were bitching and fighting on each other's walls, insulting, ganging up, and I was completely ignored by them. I left messages but got no response. I sent private messages but they disappeared on me. After a while I realised I didn't belong with them anymore and I changed my password to something I'd never remember so I'd never be able to get back in again. I hated Myspace after that. 

Fast forward again to age 23, my best friends were playing games together on Facebook. I felt left out and wanted to join in the games. Stupidly, I signed up, even though I knew that all the people from school were on there and they'd see me. Got friend requests from people I was never really friends with, got friend request from one of those friends who'd ignored me on Myspace and then just ignored me again, and requests from people who have no idea about my life, and never acknowledge that I exist unless I show my existence on Facebook. Including my own brother! I had a pitiful friends list (about 7 or 8 including my mother and brothers), and people from school were popping up everywhere! All over the screen. I never want to see them again. My status updates were ignored, and after a while I stopped posting. It was also horrible to see everyone else having lives (I've been agoraphobic for many years, so life isn't particularly exciting and adventurous for me). I finally deleted it; I say deleted, I don't know if it worked really. I don't ever intend to go back. I despise all social media, didn't like Bebo either. I hate that most people don't acknowledge my existence without Facebook, even my own family. Add me on WhatsApp? Nah. Text me? No way. Email me? Ha ha. Why are people friends so long as they're both on a website on the internet? The friendship withers and dies without the website. Isn't that crazy? My real best friends email me and text me and physically hang out with me. If they have news, they tell me in an email. Anyone who only likes you if you're on a website like Facebook should never, ever be allowed in your life. 

Just to add, I gave a presentation on the dangers of Facebook for my English equivalent a few years ago. Because of my social anxiety I was allowed to just give the presentation to my friends and the tutor, instead of the whole class. I can't remember everything I said, but I researched how people's photos are sometimes stolen and used for advertisements. I haven't read about that happening for a long time, I don't know if it still does.

I'm also waiting for Facebook to die... die like Myspace. But where will they flock to instead? Probably somewhere just as toxic. 

So, I was just looking for a room to rent, but the website makes you "get verified" via Facebook!

The website obtains all your info from Facebook: your friends list, your likes, photos, etc. If people see you're not verified, they're less likely to offer you a room. But if they have access to your Facebook info, they might not want to offer you a room either.

:mad:

Anthracite_Impreza
1 hour ago, The Bookworm said:

So, I was just looking for a room to rent, but the website makes you "get verified" via Facebook!

The website obtains all your info from Facebook: your friends list, your likes, photos, etc. If people see you're not verified, they're less likely to offer you a room. But if they have access to your Facebook info, they might not want to offer you a room either.

The job centre keep saying I should join FB "for the jobs". Like, fuck off. If they're too lazy to advertise on a proper job site I'm too lazy to apply (and I despise the spying that goes on by companies before they consider employing you).

I really do not at all like the way this world is going if it is becoming obligatory to not only have a Facebook account but also be an active user in order to get a job or rent a place to live. 

It is getting to the point where us non Facebook users are almost second class citizens because of it. 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Facebook is causing loads of problems at my workplace. Evidently some are messaging each other and bitching after working hours. Also there's a thing called business Lync and the whole working day seems to be taken up with nasty messages going round about various members of the work force! I dread to think what's being messaged about me, as I made it clear I won't be using it.

Gentle Giant

I have heard of employers wanting employees to give out their Facebook passwords to them or friend them so they can see what is going on there. That’s invasion of privacy. People should not be required to allow employers to see their Facebook page in order to have their jobs. It’s not a good idea to have coworkers on your page either.

I’m so glad I am not on Facebook. I don't care if people think I am weird for not being on it or against it.

@Gentle Giant, that would be illegal in Britain, fortunately. 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Wish we didn't have it's equivalent at work - most of the time when I walk past a desk, I see the flash of a nasty comment about someone or other who is not flavour of the month, even though the rules of it were laid out months ago- it was to be used only for business information and the management could look at it any time. Nobody seems to have learnt.

I apparently made an account full of nonsense when I was drunk or something, so it remains as a relic of a not-exactly-great period of my existence. I have never used it for anything; it doesn't have much purpose for an extremely introverted sort of hermit who has no social circle whatsoever beyond a few relatives who live close by and are therefore easily kept in touch with.

• 3 weeks later...

What can it be replaced with? What are better ways to meet interesting people online who are interested in doing things together? I mean, I know facebook is not perfect for that, I'm just not sure what good alternatives are... :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry if this is gonna upset any facebook lovers, but I'm going to be quite blunt and say my bit.

I fucking hate this shit. I fucking hate it when people ask for my facebook so they can be my "friend" like fuck they care! It's a cesspit of shit that takes up peoples time, gets in the way of people taking to one another and getting to know one another properly.

It's so full of shit!!!!!!!

On 8/20/2018 at 1:44 AM, The Bookworm said:

Just tell them to fuck off! ;)

Archived