Why do you not like posting in Hot box, or PPS?

Yatogami

Aversion census  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you think more people do not post in Hotbox?

• People have toxic attitudes there.
    • People are too uninformed.
    • People are too arrogant/pretentious in their approach to arguments.
    • I think people actually present reasonable arguments, without belittleing or insulting the intellegence of other posters.

This poll is closed to new votes

It has come to my attention, upon browsing the forum that the Hotbox is mostly avoided. While it is focused on controversy, it doesn't usually mean its acceptable to be disrespectful to others, or assuming things about other posters. I find that highly toxic, and wonder if people share the same opinion about it. 

This post isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but I cannot be the only person who feels this way. 

182.gif

Grumpy Alien

Mostly just the first one. I think the majority of users there want to argue until they’re blue in the face rather than have an intellectual discussion and I’m only interested in the latter. Some are informed and some say they’re willing to hear other sides but most of them just shout over everyone and it’s just an online screaming match.

Claire1983

Personally, I'm here to explore my asexuality and converse with others about their experiences.  This site is not the place I come if I want to get in heated debates.  I'm looking for information and comradery here, not an argument.  I feel like the point of the hot box is to try to keep the drama out of the rest of the forum as much as possible.  Over all that seems to work, so I'm content to leave it alone.

2 minutes ago, Claire1983 said:

Personally, I'm here to explore my asexuality and converse with others about their experiences.  This site is not the place I come if I want to get in heated debates.  I'm looking for information and comradery here, not an argument.

This is fair, but do you not get bored sometimes? I think AVEN becomes many users Facebook. To pass the time and socialize.

Claire1983
3 minutes ago, Malum said:

This is fair, but do you not get bored sometimes? I think AVEN becomes many users Facebook. To pass the time and socialize.

Yes, but when I get bored I watch TV, or write fanfiction.  Facebook is my Facebook.  I get what I want from the main forums and if they're quiet, then I go elsewhere to pass the time.  Arguing with people is not something I enjoy so it's not something I actively seek out even when bored.

Just now, Claire1983 said:

Yes, but when I get bored I watch TV, or write fanfiction.  I get what I want from the main forums and if they're quiet, then I go elsewhere to pass the time.  Arguing with people is not something I enjoy so it's not something I actively seek out even when bored.

You have such a healthy lifestyle :)

I am the kind of person who gets worked up easy, and doesn't know when I am angry. :( So I guess it is a bad combo. It is okay Malum, you can just walk away and write fiction instead mhm. 

Claire1983
Just now, Malum said:

You have such a healthy lifestyle :)

I am the kind of person who gets worked up easy, and doesn't know when I am angry. :( So I guess it is a bad combo. It is okay Malum, you can just walk away and write fiction instead mhm. 

I get easily worked up too and it's something I prefer to avoid, especially since I have a very stressful job. There is the occasional topic that I feel compelled to have my say on, but I rarely find that anyone is willing to listen so I don't see the point of engaging when it's just going to upset me.

I don't care to discuss most of the topics discussed in those forums, mainly because I'm uniformed (intentionally) on many of the topics.

3 minutes ago, Claire1983 said:

I get easily worked up too and it's something I prefer to avoid, especially since I have a very stressful job. There is the occasional topic that I feel compelled to have my say on, but I rarely find that anyone is willing to listen so I don't see the point of engaging when it's just going to upset me.

Yeah, I have come to realize my kind of people are not really accepted on here. I sometimes cannot help myself saying badly worded, and badly supported statements. So I need to learn to not bother with it. 

Anyways, thanks for your replies!

Basically the might-makes-right mentality.

I generally just don't like arguing, it really doesn't go anywhere and it just kinda wastes time.

29 minutes ago, Graceful said:

it’s just an online screaming match.

10000% agree

Has nothing to do with who's better, only who's louder

I post in there sometimes, but I don't like arguing with people because it's stressful and makes me anxious. I think there are some calm and reasonable discussions there. Though there are also some toxic attitudes, it isn't the only place on AVEN where I find those.

I find the threads there tend to get tedious. If I'm bored (which doesn't happen often) I have plenty of other things I can do that are more interesting to me.

I get incredibly anxious when I debate not-in-person, because I really don’t want to upset anyone, and I also want to make sure that the other people fully understand what I’m saying. Sometimes it makes me nauseated (like with my recent topic in World Watch- it turned into a debate and I couldn’t sleep well last night because of it). 

When I do feel like I can express my thoughts properly, I watch the thread like a hawk and spend a really long time writing and rereading what I have written. I need to have the time to do that, and I often do not. 

That’s why I almost never willingly engage in debates, especially in the Hot Box.

I guess partly it's too serious. The other part is I just don't have strong enough feelings on most of the topics in there to actually post. I get enough drama/headaches/"fighting" at work. I don't need it when I come home

I don't see any point in it. The majority of people who post in there seem to do so simply because they enjoy squabbling about something, not because they want to learn or understand something.

For A variety of reasons i don't more in pps or hotbox like do not know enough about subjects, a disinterest in the subjects of the posts in many cases, sometimes I type replies and decide instead that I don't need the stress of the argument which causes a sense of demotivation to get involved and I really only like to talk on subjects that I feel comfortable that I am knowledgeable enough to discuss.

The first one. It's the reason why I rarely post outside Arcade/JFF and the Meetup Forum. I tend to regret posting anywhere else, except for the Older Asexuals forum, which is also similar to JFF in that there are mostly civilised, friendly conversations.

If I do post in other forums, I try to apply the laws of aerodynamics to my posts: keep the surface area small and avoid sharp edges.

People are fucking petty. I don't have the spoons for that shit.

LadyWallflower

Real life is stressful enough. I don't want to become upset or stressed when I'm supposed to be relaxing.

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
14 hours ago, Graceful said:

it’s just an online screaming match.

Exactly. I agree with this 100%.

I find the Hot box and PPS to be a very toxic area of Aven and I no longer post there. I don't need more stress than I already have and I don't need to take my stress out on others.

None of the above.

I don’t post there because there are rarely topics I like to talk about. On the rare occasion there is something of interest to me, I find the conversations to be too adversarial to take any joy from. I don’t personally much enjoy fruitless debate, but some people find a lot of joy in that which is fine and dandy.

The arguments are circular and often ignore points to argue small pieces of the reply, rather than truly replying to the whole content. It seems pointless, in most cases. 

I personally don't enjoy those sections as much since I've never liked debates - instead they make me quite cranky to be honest. I also haven't found many topics that I'd have something to say about.

17 hours ago, Malum said:

I think that's just natural. The topic of this site is static. You come here to look for information, get it (or don't get it) and leave - or you stay here for the community. AVEN doesn't get constant input like sports forums do after the latest match or as music forums do when a new record is released. I don't see much of a point to stay here if you're not looking for a community to spend your time in. Besides that, everyone does it differently. Some people spend their time playing games. Others prefer light-hearted chats. Others like to engage in debates.

If I get bored, all I have to do is close the tab.

I don't post much in PPS/Hot Box because I don't see the point in arguing with internet strangers - unless it's a topic I really care about.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 6:15 PM, StormySky said:

10000% agree

Has nothing to do with who's better, only who's louder

Agreed. I love controversial discussion topics but 99% in HB time a conversation isn't desired. They want a large circle to criticize the same thing or agree about the same thing they do, and that's boring and irritating.

A lot of the time it just seems like a "How quickly can we get a group of our friends into this thread to shame, insult, or yell the disagree-ers into submission?"

Guest Scarlet Spider

Endlessly debating your point over and over, until someone loses their temper and has a meltdown, tends to get pretty old fast. 

That whole forum section is cancer. 

Nuff' said. 

Archived