Sexual fluidity

Ksenia

What  do folks here  think about sexual fluidity (this term denotes spontaneous change of sexual orientation)? Is it real? Can it be a threat to particular sexual identity? Are there gender difference in sexual fluidity (some scientists assume that natal females are more fluid)? 

Brightwing

I've experienced something like this and I'm still trying to figure things out. It really did change over night because I started to think deeply about a lot of things and those thoughts still haven't gone away. So I definitely think it's possible.

Accept Myself Challenge

I think it is! Personally, I cycle through feeling romantic feelings for guys and girls. A year ago, I was mostly interested in girls, and now I feel more interested in guys. I've also heard of the label abrosexual, which means a sexual orientation that changes regularly. So, yes, absolutely! But I don't think it usually threatens people's labels. I say I'm panromantic, which is true, even if I do go from feeling more straight than gay, and vice versa. Anything is possible, but I think it's rare for someone's orientation to change completely.

As mentioned there’s abrosexual, and there’s novosexual where a person’s sexuality changes based on their own gender (so fluid and flux people) 

Novosexual works for me but I don’t really tell people ‘cause I don’t want to have to explain.

I don't think it's fluid because in my opinion sexuality is something innate that you just awake and discover throughout your life. For example, a guy may feel later in their life to be bisexual, but when they were younger they though to be attracted by females only. In my opinion, this person was born bisexual (in this sense sexuality isn't fluid) and he just discovered/awakened it through new experiences. It's not like one day they were hetero and the day later bi for no reason.

Some people know their sexuality since they were young, others aren't sure what they are or believe to know it. But eventually they'll fully understand and accept their true self.

Skycaptain

I would not say that sexual fluidity is a threat to any orientation. 

In my view it does exist, but need not be the only reason for changing whether people want relationships with men/women/both/anyone. Sometimes it takes years to realise or accept that you aren't chained to the cishet mast. Many say (although I haven't seen medical research to prove this), that a far higher percentage of the population are a capable of being bi or pan romantic/sexual than the 10% approx which is commonly cited 

AngryAbrosexualPanromantic

Yeah, it's real! I identify as abrosexual, which is a fluid sexuality. I tend to switch every few weeks or months, and it tends to be between homo, hetero, bi, a and Demi, but I do sometimes prefer to call these phases by other names. And it's definitely not a threat to non fluid sexualities. It's like how some people think gays are a threat to heterosexuality, I guess. Someone's sexuality is not a threat to your own. And about females being more fluid, I completely agree. I am biologically female, even though I am currently identifying as agender, and most abros, novos and fluxes I know of are biologically female, in fact I think I know of only one male with a fluid sexuality, an aceflux.

And about females being more fluid, I completely agree. 

Why is it the case in your opinion? I think female sexuality is more fluid because in females romantic attraction is more intertwined with sexual attraction than in males. That's why romantic events (falling in love) can influence sexual attraction of females, but it can be not the case for males, although there are some reports that gays  can fall in love with women, nevertheless   their sexual attraction to females was not strong and was not generalized. Male "romantic system" and sexual system are more separated.  

corpsecollector

i would like consider myself sexually fluid, as i tend to be omnisexual one minute, and being asexual the next. it gets kinda confusing sometimes, one minute ill be super sexually attracted to whomever, the next i become the asexual type thats genuinely repulsed by the idea of sex with anyone, like it makes me utterly nauseous.

Archived