Little Study I Did on a Video Game and Political Views

Joe the Stoic

Joe the Stoic

Full article here.

Excerpt:

Liberals and centrists were most likely to be Imperials, while conservatives and libertarians were most likely to be Stormcloaks. Using liberals as a baseline, centrists were 1.07 times more likely to be Stormcloaks, while conservatives were 1.73 times more likely. Libertarians were the standard-bearers of Ulfric, as they were 2.29 times more likely to be Stormcloaks than liberals. Conversely, liberals were 1.14 times more likely to be Imperials than centrists, 1.82 times more likely than conservatives, and 3.25 times more likely than libertarians.

Another excerpt:

Even liberal Stormcloaks were far more likely to speak ill of the perceived racism of Ulfric and his cause, something that the conservative Imperials hardly even mentioned. Conservative Stormcloaks, on the other hand, had far-and-away the least hesitation in making the race-based proclamation of “Skyrim belongs to the Nords.” One conservative Stormcloak even stated:

The Nords are clearly the best race. All the others suck, especially elves. Actually, I don’t mind Redguards or Bretons.

While other sentiments such as anti-imperialism and freedom of religion played a part, the issue of race was a decisive wedge between liberals and conservatives in the course of the war. Whether this means that conservatives are more racist or if liberals are hypersensitive to racial issues is not something that can be determined.

I hope this is satire.

Eh... Not a huge fan of this whole article, but since it has brought Skyrim... I would like to raise a very interesting point of realism that is found in Windhelm, since the article was quick to call the Jarl there racist and the Stormcloaks racist (or at least implied in the studies).

If you play the game enough, and talked to some specific NPCs in Windhelm, you can pick up some really interesting facts about the town, and the issues that the Dunmer are in (and Argonians to a degree). One interesting thing is that in this town, there is a very successful Altmer trader, who will speak about the town's issues if you can get the dialogue option up and speak to her.

Basically, she explained that she have earned the Nords' respect in the town, and climbed the ladder just fine. The problem with the Dunmer is that they're refusing to do that, and are being too stubborn themselves to admit that they came into the Nords' home looking for a place, without showing any kind of respect or honor to them in Windhelm, which is why the Dunmer live down below in the Grey Quarters (that and politics stuff too). The majority of the Nords in Windhelm aren't racist at all. They just expect a certain level of honor and respect from each other due to their culture, which the Dunmer refuses to pay. Thusly, the Dunmer just angered them and get treated poorly because of their own doing, not because that the people of Windhelm are racist toward them.

A problem that we have in the real world a lot, especially when it comes down to immigrants for example. It usually has nothing to do with race but with culture, respect, and that sort of stuff. If you are moving into a new nation legally, you are expected to learn and abide to that nation's laws and culture. You may accepted and freed to do what you want, but you need to show that sign of caring and respect for the place you're going into, and if you refuse and just become lazy... You're gonna just anger people and make it harder for future immigrants to be accepted because of your own actions...

Sorry if this is random but it is a piece of detail I liked in Skyrim.

4 minutes ago, Jusey1 said:

Eh... Not a huge fan of this whole article, but since it has brought Skyrim... I would like to raise a very interesting point of realism that is found in Windhelm, since the article was quick to call the Jarl there racist and the Stormcloaks racist (or at least implied in the studies).

If you play the game enough, and talked to some specific NPCs in Windhelm, you can pick up some really interesting facts about the town, and the issues that the Dunmer are in (and Argonians to a degree). One interesting thing is that in this town, there is a very successful Altmer trader, who will speak about the town's issues if you can get the dialogue option up and speak to her.

Basically, she explained that she have earned the Nords' respect in the town, and climbed the ladder just fine. The problem with the Dunmer is that they're refusing to do that, and are being too stubborn themselves to admit that they came into the Nords' home looking for a place, without showing any kind of respect or honor to them in Windhelm, which is why the Dunmer live down below in the Grey Quarters (that and politics stuff too). The majority of the Nords in Windhelm aren't racist at all. They just expect a certain level of honor and respect from each other due to their culture, which the Dunmer refuses to pay. Thusly, the Dunmer just angered them and get treated poorly because of their own doing, not because that the people of Windhelm are racist toward them.

A problem that we have in the real world a lot, especially when it comes down to immigrants for example. It usually has nothing to do with race but with culture, respect, and that sort of stuff. If you are moving into a new nation legally, you are expected to learn and abide to that nation's laws and culture. You may accepted and freed to do what you want, but you need to show that sign of caring and respect for the place you're going into, and if you refuse and just become lazy... You're gonna just anger people and make it harder for future immigrants to be accepted because of your own actions...

Sorry if this is random but it is a piece of detail I liked in Skyrim.

Don't forget the Dunmer farmer outside the city either. He also says the rest of the Dunmer in the Grey Quarter simply aren't willing to bend a little and intergrate more or less. He's had no problems from the Nords or even Ulfric.

3 minutes ago, E is for E said:

Don't forget the Dunmer farmer outside the city either. He also says the rest of the Dunmer in the Grey Quarter simply aren't willing to bend a little and intergrate more or less. He's had no problems from the Nords or even Ulfric.

Danke. He's a bit easy to forget since you don't go to the farms that much.

17 minutes ago, Jusey1 said:

Danke. He's a bit easy to forget since you don't go to the farms that much.

I certainly do. I raid the wheat and veggies.

2 minutes ago, E is for E said:

I certainly do. I raid the wheat and veggies.

Oh? Wait. Playing in Survival mode or you just like wheat and veggies?

11 minutes ago, Jusey1 said:

Oh? Wait. Playing in Survival mode or you just like wheat and veggies?

Survival mods and useful alchemy ingredients. Even in the base game I raided the farms for veggies. Soups made a good substitute for healing potions. We're derailing poor Joe's thread with wheat however. I don't suppose he'd find that comforting.

Archived