• cloth pads
    • combination of tampons & pads
    • disposable menstrual cups
    • menstrual cup
    • Sponges
    • I don't menstruate
    • I'm male!

This poll is closed to new votes

Part II of the spinneret menstrual series.

What menstrual products do you use? Some folks here are uncomfortable with their bits, while some people don't care. My other poll asks how we feel about menstruating in general. I'm wondering how this all correlates to how we handle our periods.

I used to prefer little applicatorless tampons, but now I'm head over heels for my trusty mooncup, which has seen me through almost a year so far.

Disposable pad. Tampons just... don't work for me... :shock: And, excuse my ignorance, but I have no clue what the others are (like a cup...) :oops:

Not at all, Charlie. Tampons and disposable pads are certainly the most common and well-known menstrual products in the US. Coincidentally, these are also the most profitable to manufacturers. :roll:

There's a lot of info out there about alternative menstrual products, if you want to read up.

[oh! Sponges sponges! Could an admin perhaps add "sea sponges" to the poll? *only shudders a little bit*]

I use a Keeper. I used to use a Mooncup but the material was too stiff, it drove me crazy. The Keeper's more flexible.

I have just got a Mooncup. I did like it once I had got used to it. I'm a bit worried about using it in my new job or my new, shared house, just cos it is a messy thing, especially if on heavy. I'll combine it with Tampax I think and Always pags.

Not at all, Charlie. Tampons and disposable pads are certainly the most common and well-known menstrual products in the US. Coincidentally, these are also the most profitable to manufacturers. :roll:

There's a lot of info out there about alternative menstrual products, if you want to read up.

[oh! Sponges sponges! Could an admin perhaps add "sea sponges" to the poll? *only shudders a little bit*]

Oh, thank you!

I had no idea sea sponges were used... My last unit in bio we took a day to study them... :shock:

Is there an "other" option? :lol: Tampons and cups are too scary for me and pads are too messy so I generally just make little rolls of toilet paper and back it up with a pad. I don't use it like a tampon...that would be difficult with toilet paper xD more like a pad, but it's more...secure and "in there", rather than floating around on your underwear like a pad. Hard and very strange to explain, really. o_O

oneofthesun

I was uncomfortable with my bits and I still used tampons. Trust me, it is sooo worth it. Once it's in you don't feel gross, or have a constant reminder that it's your time of the month because you don't feel it at all.

Is there an "other" option? :lol: Tampons and cups are too scary for me and pads are too messy so I generally just make little rolls of toilet paper and back it up with a pad. I don't use it like a tampon...that would be difficult with toilet paper xD more like a pad, but it's more...secure and "in there", rather than floating around on your underwear like a pad. Hard and very strange to explain, really. o_O

I voted tampons, because I usually use OB's. But I am VERY guilty of the rolled-up toilet paper method!!

About the cup...I was very curious about this a while ago. Does it hurt to put in? Can you use it if your hymen is intact and you're not very "stretchy"?

LostPenguin

Pads and only pads. I've known some people who use forms of the cups (disposable kinds, not the reusable ones) and of course those who use tampons... I just haven't felt the need. I regret the fact that I can't do something like take a swimming class because I'd have to take a week off every month, but alas. I'm just not interested in anything that requires inserting, and...

I was uncomfortable with my bits and I still used tampons. Trust me, it is sooo worth it. Once it's in you don't feel gross, or have a constant reminder that it's your time of the month because you don't feel it at all.

Doesn't mean much to me, lol. My periods are usually miserable, anemia-inducing, emotionally miserable, backpain and cramp inducing, chilled to the bone periods of time. I just stick with what's easiest for me and try to deal with the rest... :cry:

pads... I'm not very comfortable with the idea of sticking things [i.e. tampons] "up there".

Yeah, me too

I don't menstruate 3% [ 1 ]

Oh, my. I am the only one. :oops:

Anyway were I to need to make a choice (and when I did), it was pads. I do not think that I ever used a tampon. But I am guessing that they would work better, yes? :?

Lady Heartilly

Always pads with wings. Gotta love those wings.

Shadow girl

Make pads last longer and prevent leaks by using a few rolled paper towels. Flawless

pads... I'm not very comfortable with the idea of sticking things [i.e. tampons] "up there".

Yeah, me too

Same here... *shivers*

• 3 weeks later...

Pads, as much as possible. My doctor claims that occasional tampon use will make that little procedure with the plastic silverware every couple years less excruciating (so far it hasn't), so that's the one concession I'll make.

There was, back in the later 90's, a product that was supposed to be introduced that worked this same way. It was made out of material that seemed similar to a tampon but didn't go in. I had a sample at one time but it got thrown away before I got the chance to try it and I can't remember the name for the life of me because I would have liked to try it. Anyone know its name?

Ever tried something more absorbent doing the same thing? It works better.

Anyway were I to need to make a choice (and when I did), it was pads. I do not think that I ever used a tampon. But I am guessing that they would work better, yes? :?

I was torn between this and pads, because I don't menstruate very often or very heavily, but when I do it's pads all the way. I'm not sticking anything up there if I can help it, and my periods are light enough that pads don't get sticky or gross, they're just there as backup. I'm happy to have light infrequent periods though - I can sometimes make a whole pack of pads last a year or so, so at least I'm not annoyed by the cost!

Yeah, me too

Same here... *shivers*

That kinda freaked me out too at first, but once it's "up there" you can't feel it at all.

It's putting it up there that bothers me.

BTW I voted pads, but that should be obvious by now. I have no idea what any of these other things are.

• 2 months later...
SpirallingSnowy

I voted tampons. I used pads when i was younger, but i wanted to go swimming so mum suggested tampons, and i never looked back. I dont think any of the other options are even sold in Australia bar the sea sponges.... all the options are still messy and gross really for me, cos i get heavy periods that last several days, and all the annoying pain associated. even at school ive gotten faint and stuff. my periods suck majorly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've used a combination of pads and tampons for years now, but as soon as my mooncup arrives that'll be it for me, baby.

I've also used a reusable sponge, which works well, but the cup will last much longer.

Not at all. I am in the 0.1% of the population with Primary Amenorrhea.

About the cup...I was very curious about this a while ago. Does it hurt to put in? Can you use it if your hymen is intact and you're not very "stretchy"?

If your hymen is intact, the cup will most likely break it. I use the divacup, and I've used it about two or three years now. I needed a better method (after only one year of hell of menstrating and only maybe four or five times that year :roll: ) and so making the decision was fairly easy. I already knew I was never going to have sex so it didn't matter to me if I broke it or not. But that is a decision you would have to think about.

It was hard to get used to at first because I knew *nothing*. It's kind of like the advice you get for a tampon, just got to relax (or it might hurt a little) and be careful. Plus, you do need to get it a little wet with water first. Once it's in, it feels a little snug/strange for awhile but then I get on with my day's activities and forget about, it unlike pads. TSS is less likely (if at all?) with the cup.

Anyway, there's plenty of sites out there about the cup if you search for information on Internet. Also the museum of menstruation is interesting to look through. I was kind of intrigued and revolted when I first discovered it, but eventually became more neutral towards the topic of menstruation, though some stuff I still find gross. (Honestly, I'm like a male towards menstruation, the intolerant ones not the good ones :? )

So for about $30 for three years (so far)... I have saved plenty of money and produced less waste in the environment :mrgreen:

• 1 year later...

Yeah, me too

Same here... *shivers*

Me too.

I have a major phobia of putting anything inside, never used tampons and never will.

So I use pads, even though they're gross and uncomfortable.

Stupid periods. <_<

Guest the_random_squirrel
Always pads with wings. Gotta love those wings.

oh yeah, its all about pads with wings.

i just wish it was all about not having the stupid period in the first place <_<

Tampons. Pads have always grossed me out so much. I only used them a couple of times during my very fist periods, as I wanted to get an idea of how much blood I actually shed during the day. But IIRC I tried a tampon on my first period already.

Archived