106 members have voted

1. 1. Widescreen or full screen?

• Widescreen
    • Fullscreen
  2. 2. Sound type?

• Mono
    • Stereo
    • Surround
  3. 3. If the movie is in a language not your first...

• Dubbed
    • Subtitles in your native language
    • Subtitles in the movie language
    • Neither, I'll just figure out what's going on
    • Won't watch unless I know the language

This poll is closed to new votes

RoseGoesToYale

The great movie debate: bars on top and bottom or bars on the sides? How should the sound be delivered? Subtitles or no?

Honestly, even if it was my first language, I still prefer subtitles/captions.

I went for fullscreen, mono and subtitles in my own language.

I am not quite sure about the second question, I guess it isn't something I tend to alter

Grumpy Alien

Widescreen, stereo, subtitles in my language 

Most modern movies are filmed for widescreen so full screen will distort the image and/or chop off parts of the scenes. I can’t hear a difference between stereo and surround so surround is wasted on my ears. I’m HOH so I always have captions regardless of language.

I generally watch movies dubbed and with subtitles in my native language, unless the subtitles aren't the same exact words that are being spoken, then I have it just dubbed, but I like subtitles, even on none foreign movies, but I don't like it when I have to focus the whole time on reading the subtitles and therefore miss some of the movie.. 

everywhere and nowhere

It can be worse: in Poland the default translation on TV is translation by a single male speaker. It sounds horrible, so passionless... Actually, a lot of people prefer it - they are used to it, they claim that dubbing sounds weird or inauthentic (the most likely real reason for avoiding dubbing except in films for children are financial savings), plus there are some stupid people who are too lazy and/or too much affected by functional illiteracy to read the subtitles. On the other hand, I can understand that if someone has poor vision or just a small screen, reading subtitles can be a problem. Nevertheless, I just hate speaker-translated movies and avoid them whenever I can. I stopped watching TV years ago and on modern DVDs published in Poland there is usually a choice between subtitles and speaker - but I have a double VHS/DVD player, I can still watch cassettes and in case of movies published on cassettes in the 90s, for example, they are almost always translated by a speaker unless they are movies for children. I even have one casette with an English-speaking Japanese version of "Jack and the Beanstalk" and it's horrible - everything, including first verses of songs, is translated by a speaker!! :(:(:(

Skycaptain

Wide-screen, surround sound, natural language 

EmotionalAndroid

When I saw this topic, I thought it was going to be different. I have a hard time watching movies I want to watch because there are no movie rental shops anymore. How DO you guys watch movies? I recently got Netflix, but they hardly have any movies, and definitely none I want to see. If you have a whim to watch a particular movie, what do you do?

Aroace_bookworm

The thing with subtitles, even in the same language as the film, they're often different from what they're saying on screen (I'm looking at you, Netflix) I don't trust that translated subtitles would be any different...

On 6/7/2018 at 8:58 AM, EmotionalAndroid said:

When I saw this topic, I thought it was going to be different. I have a hard time watching movies I want to watch because there are no movie rental shops anymore. How DO you guys watch movies? I recently got Netflix, but they hardly have any movies, and definitely none I want to see. If you have a whim to watch a particular movie, what do you do?

I'd like to know this, too. Netlfix is fine for watching some things, but very limited in offerings. I would like to be able to watch more recent movies (including ones from this year), as well as old classics (going all the way back to the 40s and earlier). But I don't want to subscribe to a bunch of different services. I probably wouldn't watch enough to make it cost-effective over one-off rentals, especially if I had to pay for multiple different services.

Blissful_Sins

How do you even- what tf is mono

RoseGoesToYale
2 hours ago, Blissful_Sins said:

How do you even- what tf is mono

It's when all the sounds you hear come out of both speakers or headphones, as opposed to sounds on the left side of the scene coming out of the left speaker and sounds on the right side of the scene coming out of the right.

I will not watch any movie or TV programme that has been dubbed. No matter how good a job they do of it, the lip movements can never me made to correspond with the voices perfectly, and for me that renders it unwatchable. This is something which sets me apart from most of my compatriots, because a lot of American and British TV programmes are shown on French TV, all dubbed into French, and most people seem to like it that way. Dubbing is something which is taken very seriously in France and it is considered to be something of an art form. Dubbing actors often become celebrities in their own right, and they become known as the French voice of a particular American or British actor. Despite this I still hate dubbed TV shows and movies. Thankfully, since the advent of digital television, it has been possible to select whether you wish to hear French or the original language on most foreign TV programmes broadcast on French TV. Whilst I won't watch anything dubbed, I can quite happily watch something in a language I don't understand with subtitles / captions in English or French. 

On 6/4/2018 at 1:46 AM, SkyWorld said:

Honestly, even if it was my first language, I still prefer subtitles/captions.

I could never watch a movie with you. How can you stand it? I always end up reading the subtitles instead of paying attention to the screen, often missing visual subtleties, and because I'm a fast reader I read what they say ahead of time and the delivery is lost!

1 hour ago, Grimalkin said:

I could never watch a movie with you. How can you stand it? I always end up reading the subtitles instead of paying attention to the screen, often missing visual subtleties, and because I'm a fast reader I read what they say ahead of time and the delivery is lost!

That's pretty much the way it is for me, too.

(need to figure out how to turn off subtitles/closed captioning on my tv when I watch youtube on it :P - although occasionally they are handy when I don't quite catch what someone said)

2 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

For me, it helps because even though I’m not deaf or hard of hearing, it helps whenever someone would be speaking too fast, mumbling, or I misunderstand what they say. It also helps me follow along better and process what they say more, especially if it’s a lot of important information.

I’m probably just used to it because I watch a lot of subbed anime.

3 minutes ago, SkyWorld said:

For me, it helps because even though I’m not deaf or hard of hearing, it helps whenever someone would be speaking too fast, mumbling, or I misunderstand what they say. It also helps me follow along better and process what they say more, especially if it’s a lot of important information.

I’m probably just used to it because I watch a lot of subbed anime.

Yes, with a few thing I watch, I find a need to have subtitles on as sometimes dialogue can be hard to hear. The BBC's adaptation of jamaica inn  had received many complaints because of difficulty on hearing the characters.

2 hours ago, Ortac said:

Dubbing actors often become celebrities in their own right, and they become known as the French voice of a particular American or British actor. 

This reminded me of the kite runner where the two children went to go to Tehran to meet John Wayne because in the cinema in Kabul, he speaks Farsi

SpaceDustbin

I love subtitles (for any movie that's not Dutch). I went through a phase where I ditched them, but have found a renewed appreciation ;)

That said, I hate Netflix subtitles. At least, a while ago I was watching a Danish/Norwegian movie (in Denmark, so only Scandi subtitle options were available), and they would only sub for the parts in a different language. And not being a native speaker in any of those languages, but wanting to know what was going on, I had to set the subtitles to Swedish. Which was a very interesting, but confusing experience :lol:

I put:

Fullscreen (but I don't really care)

Stereo (because I never alter it to anything else)

Dubbed (though I also watch foreign language films with subtitle)

• 2 months later...

I usually watch films on my laptop screen while listening through earbuds, so I'm not entirely sure how to answer the first two questions. For foreign language films, I insist on subtitles (dubbing is a travesty).

Watching a movie in a theater on its 3rd, 4th, or even 5th showing as a matinee is best. Why? That way, there are fewer people in the theater, or you might be the only one. 

I chose widescreen, stereo and subtitles in your native language. I need to have subtitles as I am hearing impaired and it really helps me a lot. Many newer movies and TV shows have terrible mix for sound. Background music and sound way too loud drowning out dialogue. People mumbling, whispering, talking too fast.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

full screen with stereo (surround when i have it). Subtitles in my own language or if I'm lazy I only watch those in a language I know

• 7 months later...

@RoseGoesToYale

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived