Do you eat ice cream in the winter?

everywhere and nowhere

Ice cream in the winter  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Do you eat ice cream in the winter?

• Yes, both indoors and outdoors.
    • Yes, but only indoors.
    • Rarely.
    • No.
    • In the place where I live there's no really cold weather.

This poll is closed to new votes

everywhere and nowhere

I've just come up with the idea for this poll because I felt slightly annoyed with the words "Ice cream season" in a supermarket advertising newsletter. For me there's no such thing as an ice cream season, I can eat ice cream all year long. It's always annoying for me that in some smaller stores there is almost no "single" ice cream (on a stick or in a cone, to be eaten in one go) in the winter. And for me there's no difference - I buy ice cream in boxes also in the winter, but I can onlso eat it outdoors, I have even been eating an ice cream in the street in -10 degrees Celsius. :)

I've also read that eating ice cream in winter is in fact safer - less temperature difference, so it's much easier to get a sore throat from eating ice cream in the summer. But I also feel like it's a tiny bit hypocritical because of my aversion to healthism. ;)

Sweet Potato

Ice cream year round. but winter here is stupid cold so indoors only. I avoid all unnecessary outdoors time from November to March.

Yeah, why stop eating ice cream in the winter? Especially indoors. I'm sure I've had ice cream outdoors down to at least 20 degrees Fahrenheit (below that point it tends to freeze a bit too thoroughly before I can eat it, but honestly, that's not as annoying as it melting before I can eat it, which happens when it gets hot).

Most ice cream shops are open year round here, with the exceptions being the ones that don't have an indoor space, and I've never encountered a store where one can't get an ice cream cup or cone in the winter. I've also never seen ice cream stocked only seasonally in a store.

Alejandrogynous

Nope, but then I don't really care for ice cream in general so it has to be really, insufferably hot for me to want some. And even then, I'd probably rather have an iced coffee or something else to cool me off. :lol: But I'm not against having iced coffee in winter either so I suppose I agree with the spirit of what you're saying!

I eat it year round, but probably only indoors. It would be awkward to eat ice cream with mitts on.

It doesn't get cold where I live, but even if it did, I'd eat ice cream year-round, indoors and out.

everywhere and nowhere
8 minutes ago, Sweet Potato said:

Ice cream year round. but winter here is stupid cold so indoors only. I avoid all unnecessary outdoors time from November to March.

To me it's almost opposite: I avoid going out if I can when it's hot. I tolerate cold weather much better that heat, hot weather and my own sweat are very bad for my allergy.

I can work out at free outdoor gyms in the winter (however, I of course can't do it regardless of the season if everything is wet due to rain or melting snow), but I avoid them in the summer when the temperature exceeds some +22 degrees Celsius.

Yes, but indoors.

Though usually all my ice cream eating throughout the year is done indoors unless I am at an outdoor music festival then I'll have ice cream outdoors. 

TheCatBehind

I usually just eat ice cream indoors, but I have never shied away from eating ice cream outdoors in the winter lol I remember eating a peanut butter magnum in winter while going from one place to the other and I loved it lol

It just so happens that I usually buy tubs and eat it in a couple of sessions indoors lol

Sweet Potato

curious, to those who eat outside in winter, how cold are your winters? anything below -20c is too cold for me, and we get that from mid November through February

kiaroskuro
10 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

To me it's almost opposite: I avoid going out if I can when it's hot. I tolerate cold weather much better that heat

Same here. I would have ice cream delivered to my place, if I could ;) But then again, I don't want to support those food delivery companies that are exploiting their employees.

Winters in the UK are quite mild, but sometimes we get horrible, freezing, strong winds and I wouldn't eat ice cream in this kind of weather :D Indoors - always! 

everywhere and nowhere
7 minutes ago, Sweet Potato said:

curious, to those who eat outside in winter, how cold are your winters? anything below -20c is too cold for me, and we get that from mid November through February

In Poland it's rare, unfortunately. Now most of the time the winter temperature rather oscillates around 0. It has been different when I was a child. :( However, almost each winter there are at least a few days with a good frost, below -10.

Well, -20 gets too cold for me either, but I'd love to experience -40 because I've read that if you spit in -40, your saliva will freeze before it touches the ground. ;) Just some amateur scientific curiosity. I've read that this method for determining temperature was used by prisoners in Soviet prison camps (because they were "kindly" permitted to stay in their barracks in such temperatures). A journalist writing a reportage from the former Soviet Union tried it and claimed that it really works. He checked the temperature on a termometer, ran in front of the hotel, spat on a piece of snowless asphalt and saw a little ball of ice rolling...

Yatagarasu

Rarely. Because I'm not immune to the cold. Yet, if I'm desperate enough, I can eat ice cream, but only indoors, hah.

As someone who has frightened their friends by biting into a popsicle in the middle of December....

If I want ice cream, I eat it, even if it's probably way too dang cold for me to be munching on it.

Sweet Potato
3 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

but I'd love to experience -40

I don't think Ive ever heard someone say that. -40 is stupid cold. it actually physically hurts to be outside in that

Hayis4horses

I voted for the first option, but I'm not sure I should have because where I live, the winter is 40-60 degrees Fahrenheit and that isn't really cold for most people.

That is about 4-16 degrees Celsius.

everywhere and nowhere
Just now, Sweet Potato said:

I don't think Ive ever heard someone say that. -40 is stupid cold. it actually physically hurts to be outside in that

It sure would. But I'm still curious about the freezing saliva thing. ;)

Skycaptain

I eat more ice cream in winter than summer, simply because in winter I can eat one without it melting, whereas in a British summer I can't 

I eat ice cream year round, but whether or not I eat it outside in the winter depends on where I am. I live in an area with relatively mild winters, so I'll eat ice cream outside in the winter at home, but the winters where I go to college are much colder, so I probably wouldn't eat ice cream outside in the winter at school.

In winter the campus Ben and Jerry's gives temperature discounts, so since it's often around -10C, we can generally get a 40-60% discount, so I often grabbed ice cream while walking home. In the summer they're only 50% off on fridays...

200w.gif

smallnsparky

I eat it in winter - my birthday is in January so I'd have it for breakfast even. I only tend to eat it indoors though because I don't tend to sit outside in my garden (though if/when I move I would like to have a nice set up with some garden furniture and a chimenea) and the singles you can buy from the corner shops are either all gone as they've been gotten rid of, or have been sat around since September. 

52 minutes ago, Sweet Potato said:

Between -1 and -7 Celsius generally for November, February, and often much of October and March, around -8 to -13 in December, and often as cold as -16 or -17 in January (it has got down to -23 or so, but that doesn't usually last more than a week or two). I wouldn't eat ice cream outside in January and usually not in December, but for the rest of the winter months I would.

It's often a few degrees colder with wind chill, and I also usually wouldn't on windy winter days.

Grumpy Alien

Um. Yes? Of course I eat ice cream all year! I also drink hot beverages during summer. I eat less ice cream in winter and less hot drinks in summer but I couldn’t give up either for part of the year! That’d be torture. I’ll eat what I want when I want it 😡

I love ice cream, I eat it all the time. Also during winters. In general I don't like to ever eat ice cream outside. I sometimes do during springs and summers but usually I only eat it indoors, doesn't matter what the weather is. 

RoseGoesToYale

Nothing like a bowl of ice cream on a cold winter's night! Or all-natural shaved ice, where available.

I remember when I first moved to Seattle, one of my friends got ice cream and we were eating outside in November. I was like, "Are you crazy? Aren't you cold?" She happily replied, "It melts slower!" 

Nope! I never understood eating ice cream in cold weather! Maybe because I grew up in New Orleans where it rarely got cold. But I'd much rather have a cup of cocoa with a giant marshmallow ;)

Archived