The All New AVEN Pamphlets: we need your help!

Jesh

My asexuality equals freedom!

Freedom to be just me - but also to be part of a much larger family group.

I happily acknowledge I am lucky - I was born eldest of several siblings; we are all genetically gifted, and our much-loved mother gave-and *gives*- us room to do whatever we were capable of-

annnd - with pain, difficulty, hard labour & striving, I have reached a place where I've made a home (and am making another one.) I've contributed to the world, helped people where I can - I am a good human being!

And, an asexual- kia ora tatou

I have always been conscious I was not attracted by sex and I never felt 'disabled' . Lot of people I knew were like myself, but they sacrificed themselves in name of love and family, but I didn't agree with them at all...so I somehow felt guilty for not behaving like all the others.

I 'm not disgusted by physical contact; on the contrary I think my physical sensibility is so high that it allows me to appreciate 'shades and touches' people often neglect; and whether it is the cause or the consequence of my asexuality, I strongly feel it's very positive! :D

Sex is one great way to connect with people, but it's not the only way. Learning to be intimate nonsexually is just as frustrating and just as beautiful as what sexual people go through.

(I have a ton of pictures, and can take more to fit your crop/angle/background requirements.)

Omnes et Nihil

The first printing of pamphelts had a good gender and age balance, which is really important. But all the pictures were of caucasian people. Is AVEN really an all-white group? I think it would be helpful to include pictures of non-caucasian people too, if possible.

Children of the sloth
The first printing of pamphelts had a good gender and age balance, which is really important. But all the pictures were of caucasian people. Is AVEN really an all-white group? I think it would be helpful to include pictures of non-caucasian people too, if possible.

I think so to. There are many non-caucasin members of AVEN.

I'm non-caucasian... well, ok I'm part non-caucasian. So I suppose if we are pursuing more ethnic balance I could dig up a pic and quote...

I know I said the same thing somewhere - but since I obviously didn't say it here, it must have been on one of the non english aven's.

That's really what I was hoping for. I was also hoping for some pictures of older A's, too, because at the moment we don't really have any.

Come on, guys, I know you're all attractive people! :D

• 1 month later...
summerbreeze

Great comment, SummerSeeker. I hope they include that. I wish I had happened to find an AVEN pamphlet years ago. It would have made things a little bit less complex and alienating.

Jesh, I'll try to come up with something if it's not too late. As for a picture, I wish I could post one but I haven't told "family" directly about my asexuality and that is how I hope to keep it. The odds that they will see it are very small but I can't take a chance.

Well, I'm not all super enthusiastic about scraping together a quote, but if you still need people who look not white...

Well, I'm not all super enthusiastic about scraping together a quote, but if you still need people who look not white...

Most definately - right now ajay is the only noncaucasion. And I'd really like to send out pamphlets taht reflect diversity

Are you really that desperate for oldies?

There are pictures of me scattered all over AVEN.

Feel free to use any of them.

The most recent one also has KAW143 in it. He probably wouldn't mind being included too, but I'll ask him just in case. (He's only a 30-something, so not really *old* in the usual sense, but definitely old enough to be past the teenage angst stage.)

Unfortunately we are both white ... 'Can't help it, though. :(

-GB

aw, g-bird, you're not old, just very wise ;)

but yeah. if anyone else (especially those in minority groups) wouldn't mind being included, we'd love to have you.

So let's give it a try icon_sweatdrop.gif

"Even in elementary school in sex-ed, I've found sex to be a weird thing to me. There are so much better things I'd rather spend my time doing: reading a good book, seeing a good movie, or hanging out with my friends. Dating would be interesting, but there's so much more in this world. "

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/gymn...ewithbraids.jpg

You where taught sex ed in elementary school? I thought that that didn't happen until middle.

"Even in elementary school in sex-ed, I've found sex to be a weird thing to me. There are so much better things I'd rather spend my time doing: reading a good book, seeing a good movie, or hanging out with my friends. Dating would be interesting, but there's so much more in this world. "

You where taught sex ed in elementary school? I thought that that didn't happen until middle.

I was taught in middle school - however my middle school was 4-6th grades which would be elementary school in a lot of districts

FelineFanatic

Have you asked any of the non-white members who have been around for a while to help you out? They just may not look in announcements. It is boring compared to some outer forums! lol

I am a very oldie, but there has not been a picture taken of me by anyone since 1988.

I checked with Keef. It's okay for you to use the photo of us if you wish. (It's in the oldster's forum.)

We can either be seen as individuals or as a couple ... either way is fine.

-GB

Sure, I don't mind, but winter doesn't go by her real name, so you can just call her Winter. I'm 22 and she's 21.

I was taught in middle school - however my middle school was 4-6th grades which would be elementary school in a lot of districts

We started in... third or fourth grade, I think, talking about puberty. We were separated into male and female groups and talked about the respective puberties, functions of sexual organs, etc. A year or so later we learned about the other sex's puberty, and then by middle school we were grouped together to talk about STDsand abstinence, and then that was combined with other "health" subjects like drugs and alcohol.

*takes a big breath* That was long.

What the hey.

"These so-called 'innate urges' never did materialize within me, so sex is quite alien to me. I don't see why people can't love one another without it."

Photo:

natpmq4.th.jpg

Name and age is OK by me :)

Easier to come out via a pamphlet than in person anyway, if anyone I know happens upon it.

p.s. the photo is not professional, my sister took it - I used the photo to sell the top I was wearing on eBay ;)

• 5 weeks later...

I'm going to be in contact with you all to establish uniform backgrounds for your photos. I think everyone will have access to a white wall, so I'm thinking we could have everyone take a picture with a white background. dollar general and wal-mart sell large pices of poster board really cheap (i think $.25 and $.33 respectively.) I'm not sure how it would look in a photo, but maybe we could have everyone purchase a couple sheets of the same color poster board and use that for a photo background too so we will be given more options than the color white.

This is my first post on this site. I was going to post first in the "Welcome" section, but I got to reading about the pamphlet and thought I'd throw in my two cents.

First of all, whoever put together the first pamphlet did a great job. I like the cover. I like the way it was divided into FAQ's, what asexuality is not, the quotes with pics. The whole thing. What did not appeal to me was some of the wording. To me, some of the wording especially in the quotes was down on sex. The headline, "Simply put, asexuals don't care about sex," could be shortened to "Simply put ..." then reiterate the definition of asexual again and go into the paragraph. There was no mention of asexuality being a sexual orientation just like straight, gay, or bi which might be something good to add. I think David worded things nicely on the home page and the overview section. Maybe some of that could be put on the pamphlet. I would like to see greater diversity among the people quoted along with a first name, age, and maybe location after each quote.

I guess after saying all that I should give a quote of my own. Here goes:

"Because I've never had a sexual attraction or desire for others, I figured there was something wrong with me. There's nothing wrong with me. I'm just asexual. Thanks to AVEN for helping me get the facts and for providing a place where I can be myself."

- Brent, 36, South Carolina

Kind of generic, but hey I tried.

I hope my suggestions might be of some use. I'll be sure to post in the "Welcome" section. Got to get my cake!

-Brent

P.S. I'd like to make a donation to help with the pamphlets or whatever else needs funding. If someone could tell me where to send a check, I'll put it in the mail. Thanks.

I'm going to be in contact with you all to establish uniform backgrounds for your photos. I think everyone will have access to a white wall, so I'm thinking we could have everyone take a picture with a white background. dollar general and wal-mart sell large pices of poster board really cheap (i think $.25 and $.33 respectively.) I'm not sure how it would look in a photo, but maybe we could have everyone purchase a couple sheets of the same color poster board and use that for a photo background too so we will be given more options than the color white.

Hmm, if it wasn't too many, I could volunteer to cut out the figures from the backgrounds with Photoshop, like so: allykatt.gif

Hmm, if it wasn't too many, I could volunteer to cut out the figures from the backgrounds with Photoshop, like so: allykatt.gif

there are about 6 photos - they are all linked to in this thread. IF you are willing and want to, go right ahead - it would be a help. However, we also need to make sure the lighting is the same for each photo too (or at least similar)

Well cutting out I can do but lighting is a bit of an issue. I did a couple of the first ones. It's up to you whether you want to go with that or do the poster board :)

Here is what I was able to do... two of the images have enhanced levels. Heartilly's hair proved pretty hard! There is further refinement I could do with that.

samplepf0.jpg

Archived