Ever called people warm as a romantic alternative to calling people hot?

Chu-tyan

When somebody is, like, your potential romantic interest. I mean, "cute" isn't allways a correct word to describe your emotions about a person fully. And I thought lately, like "if someone is sexually attractive, people call them hot; then we should call them warm if they're romantically attractive".

Am I a genius or somebody already have thought about it???

In American English at least the term "warm" when used to describe a person means "friendly". :D 

having, showing, or expressive of enthusiasm, affection, or kindness.
"they exchanged warm, friendly smiles"
synonyms: friendly, cordial, amiable, genial, kind, pleasant, fond;

Haaa I see what you did there but no, I pretty sure that kind of term is used to describe friendliness. 

I know that xD But it's not used very often in that meaning, isn't it?

And

2 minutes ago, daveb said:

warm, friendly smiles

smiles or eyes or anything are called warm more often then people?

Words CAN have more than one meaning, can't they? x))

Actually, it's used quite often for both people and thinks like smiles and eyes. At least in my experience where I live. :D 

How about exothermic ? 

Warm is already used to describe nice,friendly people.

1 minute ago, Chu-tyan said:

Words CAN have more than one meaning, can't they? x))

No, never. (just kidding)

Yep, they can, but it might be confusing. And could be tricky to get a new meaning into common usage. Maybe even more so when the new meaning could be confused with the old meaning even in context. :) 

7 minutes ago, daveb said:

At least in my experience where I live. :D 

Haha I'm feeling confused)) Because I'm not from English-speaking country and only can guess such things from surfing the English part of Internet)) Sorry))

6 minutes ago, daveb said:

Yep, they can, but it might be confusing. And could be tricky to get a new meaning into common usage.

Aah, you're so right here, I just can't argue. Got me there.

6 minutes ago, lazypanda said:

How about exothermic 

Wow that's a bit funny)) But better than my variant, as I see now

Your proposal is logical. Language/people aren't. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

*adds to Mad Shit From AVEN* file.

oKAY HOW CAN I DELETE THIS SHAME TOPIC FROM BOTH AVEN AND YOUR MEMORIES???????????????

Don't worry about it. :) 

If I'll (probably) meet someone (else) that has the potential to make me feel romantically attracted, I would say I'm interested in them, that they're intriguing, that I would like to know them better, or something along these lines. Also:

1 hour ago, Chu-tyan said:

"cute" isn't allways a correct word to describe your emotions about a person fully.

I wouldn't use just the word "cute" to describe my feelings for someone. Like, I would need a few thousand words more, together with at least a couple hours to elaborate verbally my feelings.

Crazy Cat Lady
3 hours ago, Chu-tyan said:

When somebody is, like, your potential romantic interest. I mean, "cute" isn't allways a correct word to describe your emotions about a person fully. And I thought lately, like "if someone is sexually attractive, people call them hot; then we should call them warm if they're romantically attractive".

hahaha! I love it!

ETA: I might start using it. 🙂

Idk, like in Germany you say "warm brother" to gay men and it's rather an insult.

17 hours ago, Chu-tyan said:

It is a nice idea. Where term 'warm' is more humane then term 'hot', although it still views people as temperature. So, perhaps term 'nice' is better?

Alejandrogynous

If somebody told me 'you're not hot, you're warm', I'd take that as lukewarm, like almost attractive but actually not really, lol.

Bronztrooper

I'd think that it'd be better for describing someone as being sensually attractive.

On 5/26/2018 at 6:48 PM, Chu-tyan said:

Genius. Definitely a genius. 100% the best idea I've ever heard. I'm using this from now on. 

ps.

GENIUS!

In German, "warm" is a slur for male gay folks. Won't go over well... also sounds like something you'd have to explain afterwards anyway.

flesh-pocket

"dreamy"

I prefer to keep temperature-related terms to temperature-related topics, personally.

3 hours ago, Philip027 said:

I prefer to keep temperature-related terms to temperature-related topics, personally.

That's cool.

Janus the Fox

Though cute in the right dating context, "I'm warm for you" sounds sweet.  I've never really see any person as warm or hot.

Skycaptain

I'm another one who's never used a temperature related term as an adjective to describe a fellow human 

Archived