Nice, adorable, cute (used for adults) .... code for asexual?

dee615

Telecaster68
5 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

Probably true, but it happens.  An ace friend should in theory not be a threat at all.

Depends. There are emotional affairs as well as sexual ones.

14 minutes ago, MichaelTannock said:

I've heard a Sexual explain how people will find others attractive if they show no sexual interest in them, so maybe Asexuals can be attractive to Sexuals?

I think there is something very dysfunctional about someone becoming attracted to a person (asexual or sexual) *because* they can tell that person isn't interested. I think it is understandable for sexuals to mistake romantic interest and/or basic human admiration as sexual interest, or even to become attracted despite knowing that the person isn't sexually attracted to them because the person is displaying interest in some other form.. but what that person told you doesn't sound like that.

NickyTannock

@The Blue Fairy I think the idea is it's interpreted as "playing hard to get" and this creates interest.

Telecaster68

Doesn't being attracted to someone as long as they're not attracted to you have a made up name under the asexual spectrum? 

NickyTannock
4 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

Doesn't being attracted to someone as long as they're not attracted to you have a made up name under the asexual spectrum?  

In this case, it would be someone who is sexually attracted to other people, and just more sexually attracted to people who aren't showing any interest in them.

6 minutes ago, The Blue Fairy said:

@MichaelTannock I thought that was when someone shows interest initially and then starts pretending like they aren't interested, but not a complete absence of interest all along.

I don't know, maybe.

Telecaster68

Same principle though, only fancying someone because they don't fancy you. 

Telecaster68

As I understand it, people who only fancy asexuals because they're asexuals, and people who are sexually/romantically attracted to people until that feeling is returned are basically doing the same thing: picking people who are unavailable because they're unavailable. If they become available, they lose interest. Not very healthy and bound to lead to problems for both. 

There are most likely some people out there who are sexually attracted to someone but they don't want sex with that person. What I was referring to, though, were the people who want sex with the disinterested person (whether that person is asexual or sexual doesn't matter).

1 hour ago, Telecaster68 said:

Depends. There are emotional affairs as well as sexual ones.

Most emotional affairs have a (non-physical) sexual component, no?

Otherwise that undermines the theory that a relationship without sexual attraction and sex is just a friendship.

5 hours ago, Serran said:

Lots of people will say adorable/nice/cute to people they are sexually attracted to. 

I've been called a 'cutie' or 'cute' many times by people who (as I discovered later) had some sexual interest in me. I can't remember being called hot much and why would anybody call me that? :D I just don't look hot or sexy in this confident, seductive way. Even my daughter's friends call me 'anime mum' and think I look like an anime character... looks like my childlike aura is strong and I'm, erm, 36... But yeah, some people are sexually attracted to actual anime characters, so I guess to them I'm sexy as hell ;):lol: until they discover my age at least :D

The downside is people often don't treat me seriously, unless I wear something very formal. If I was in any position of power, I'd look like a joke. 

I actually never faced this kind of thing in my life. People have called me 'child-like' at times, but those comments were not sexual. They meant I was not mature enough for my age. Sex is not discussed openly in my country, so yeah, that thing never happened. 

InfiniteNull
5 hours ago, MichaelTannock said:

@The Blue Fairy Okay, how many Sexuals do I need to ask?

roughly 300 will start to give you a sample distribution that you can match with the population distribution to verify your findings

Archived