Football World Cup and unpopular legislation

timewarp

The FIFA World Cup is coming up and with it the opportunity for politicians to get unpopular legislation through parliament. Angela Merkel is particularly good at this, especially because she has the image of a big football enthusiast, so who would expect...

So, what's on the political agenda?

My guess is that it will be worth watching the House of Commons. Andrea Leadsom has been delaying Brexit legislation without even giving a hint when it will be brought up. Is there something to be expected close to the England matches? What could it be?

Skycaptain

The first thing that's happening is the appointment of pro-brexit tories to the peerage, to bias the votes in the Lords 

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go then... all 15 Lords amendments to the EU Withdrawal Bill will be pushed through the House of Commons 12th June, just two days before the world cup begins. This sounds like an impossible task to begin with. But it also means that unless all national newspapers double their size, they will struggle to cover everything, both Withdrawal Bill and football, in sufficient detail. Not to mention the aftermath, which will clearly disappear from the front pages thanks to football. Or won't it?

I don't like football, I don't think that FIFA World Cup is good for my country,  because it distracts population from more complex problems, also  russians are not good players, we can win only  Saudi Arabia. I hope that fans will be polite and everything will be ok. Personally I don't plan to attend on the venues, so I don't care about football events very much.

@timewarp I sadly/ angrily/ cynically feel that you have a very good point. Nothing like the world cup to draw attention away from things which matter. I'm a huge soccer fan but for a whole host of reasons, I would like to see the end of the world cup. I so dislike the hype (and the recriminations). I'm almost glad I don't have a tv and as I get all my news online, at least I can scroll through the press reports if I don't wish to see them. Haven't bought a newspaper for ages.

Skycaptain

A few years ago there was a deliberate policy by the British government to publish bad or controversial papers when there's a big event on. 

Archived