How to choose a costume?

A.R.B.

Hi! I have been going to Toronto Fan Expo for a few years now, and have always dressed up. I really enjoy wearing costumes, but I can never find a character to dress as! I see all of the famous cosplayers wearing costumes of characters that perfectly suit them. I guess what I'm trying to say is a) how do you choose a character to dress as? And b) how do you find a character that suits your body type/personality?

Excellent question. Watching a ton of shows will expose you to a variety of different characters be it anime or live action tv shows. Honestly, its all in what you make of it. I am all for cosplay being for fun if you love the character then you can easily make it your own while keeping the general significant points of that character recognizable. If you want to be hardcore about dressing up as the character you can select the character you want and start prepping your body in advance. For example, if the character is muscular, you could start exercising a solid year or 6 months ahead of the convention that would take crazy dedication, but the result would be epic. Many of those next level cosplayers prep for their outfits years in advance. Cosplaying is like any other craft the more effort you put into it, the better it will be but ultimately its all for fun so no stress. I hope you found this helpful :D

Claire1983

Choose a character you like.  Don't worry about how well you match them.  Almost no one looks like the character and that shouldn't hold you back!  Cosplay is about showing your love for the character and that will come across.  If you want to try to make yourself look more like the character, look into makeup tutorials.  There are some crazy things you can do to change your looks with a little bit of contouring.

Thankyou @Lady Constellation, @Queenie, and @Claire1983! Your pieces of advice really helped. I now have a small list of possibilities formed and will hopefully decide on one soon! So to repeat myself(I feel it necessary) Thankyou!

Claire1983
On 5/29/2018 at 11:00 PM, A.R.B. said:

Thankyou @Lady Constellation, @Queenie, and @Claire1983! Your pieces of advice really helped. I now have a small list of possibilities formed and will hopefully decide on one soon! So to repeat myself(I feel it necessary) Thankyou!

Glad I could help!  If you need any help, feel free to ask!  I've been cosplaying for about 14 years so I know a thing or two!

Claire1983
On 5/23/2018 at 10:40 PM, Queenie said:

Many of those next level cosplayers prep for their outfits years in advance.

I've been growing my hair out for 3 years so I could do a proper General Leia.

1 hour ago, Claire1983 said:

I've been growing my hair out for 3 years so I could do a proper General Leia.

When I cosplayed years ago, I started working out months in advance to prep for my cosplay of Rorschach and Black version of Wonder Woman. If ever I can pick out another character to cosplay I will start the process all over again ;) I wish you luck on your General Leia! 

Claire1983
2 minutes ago, Queenie said:

When I cosplayed years ago, I started working out months in advance to prep for my cosplay of Rorschach and Black version of Wonder Woman. If ever I can pick out another character to cosplay I will start the process all over again ;) I wish you luck on your General Leia! 

Thanks!  I just ordered the fabric for the Last Jedi Bridge outfit.  I'm excited.

On 5/31/2018 at 10:33 PM, Queenie said:

I started working out months in advance to prep for my cosplay of Rorschach 

Rorschach? Are you a watchmen fan?

Hi again @Claire1983, @Queenie, and @Lady Constellation. I just wanted to thank you once again for your helpful feedback and tell you that I have decided who to cosplay as! I am going to cosplay as Marvel's Punisher! I ended up deciding to dress up as him because of 3 things;

1: He's a total badass!

2: I'm close to the same height as he is described to be in Comic books. (He's 6'3" and I'm 6'3.5")

3: his costume isn't too hard to make from home. 

So once again, thanks for the feedback, and once I have the costume together I'm going to see if I can put a picture here. 😁

Claire1983

That sounds like a very good one to start on!  

Personally, I'm lazy, so I like to go down a chart of characters I like vs. characters who look like me, and whichever character is closest to the middle is who I end up cosplaying.

It's Ms. Frizzle. I've got a beak and red hair.

2 hours ago, A.R.B. said:

Hi again @Claire1983, @Queenie, and @Lady Constellation. I just wanted to thank you once again for your helpful feedback and tell you that I have decided who to cosplay as! I am going to cosplay as Marvel's Punisher! I ended up deciding to dress up as him because of 3 things;

1: He's a total badass!

2: I'm close to the same height as he is described to be in Comic books. (He's 6'3" and I'm 6'3.5")

3: his costume isn't too hard to make from home. 

So once again, thanks for the feedback, and once I have the costume together I'm going to see if I can put a picture here. 😁

Ooooh, excellent choice! I look forward to seeing your finished cosplay! 

Claire1983

Also, shameless self promotion.  If you have Instagram and want to see my stuff, I go by Darth_Claire_Cosplay

5 hours ago, Claire1983 said:

Also, shameless self promotion.  If you have Instagram and want to see my stuff, I go by Darth_Claire_Cosplay

I don't have instagram😞 But if I ever get it, I'll search you up 1st!

Archived