I have a question about Ace rings.

Haywire

So I got my ace ring not long ago, and I know that on the right middle finger a black ring denotes being ace and any other finger on the right hand denotes something else entirely. What about the left hand? Is there anything specific about that hand that a black ring would signify, or would any finger on the left be acceptable as an indication of aceness? I ask because my ring fits every finger, but I'm used to wearing a ring on my left hand as opposed to the right.

As far as I know, a black ring on the left hand doesn't signify anything in particular, but it may not be recognised by other aces if it's on the left hand.  I personally would recognise it, just because I'm terrible about right vs left in general.

atpsynthace

I would recognize it as an ace ring too! I had an ill-fitting ace ring at first and I would absentmindedly swap it back and forth all the time, and I wear my better-fitting one on the left hand sometimes anyway, if I'm using my hands. Basically like @element83 said, I think "ace ring" whenever I see someone wearing a black ring on their middle finger, partially because I'm just not paying attention to the hand, haha.

I see. I could do that, I guess. though I'm partial to the left ring finger over the middle fingers. I'm just more used to it (my high school ring would only fit my left ring finger).

If that means something specific then I won't do that, i'm just curious because I'm having to relearn where the ring goes right now and if I could just wear it on the most comfortable finger anyway then why wouldn't I?

Dark Heart

You should be fine so long as you are putting it on the left hand. It could be a hit or miss with it being recognized as a sign of ace-ness. Black rings have their spells of mainstream popularity. I would avoid other fingers on the right hand because it is a common practice in the "swinger" community (people who - with agreement from all involve - switch significant others to spice things up in the bedroom) to wear a black ring on the right hand (any except the middle finger out of respect for us).

I'm actually used to wearing a ring on my middle finger because it sits more comfortably for me, right or left. I used to wear a ring on my left middle finger, so I've mixed up hands one or twice.

Skycaptain

I wear mine on my left ring finger, simply because I thought it indicated not wanting to get married, before Iearnt about the right middle finger symbolism 

HardToComeBy

When I see a black ring on someone's middle finger, it's a singular enough occurance in my mind that it doesn't matter the hand. My brain thinks "ace ring" right away, regardless of right or left.

I do have one that I wear, and I do so on the right. :)

Here is a link from the AVEN wiki I found in the past:

http://wiki.asexuality.org/Black_ring

I found it curious that swingers also used the black ring, but luckily know about the significance with aces.

This was something that came to my mind when I bought mine, and luckily, this link appeared, so I have followed this one with my ring.

Sweet Potato

I wear mine on the middle finger, right hand. it fits my index and middle fingers on both hands (my ring fingers are much smaller)

I know a lot of people who wear black silicone wedding rings on their left ring fingers at work to spare their actual rings any wear and tear, so worst comes to worst people might think you’re off the market (depending on age you might prefer that heheh).  Other than that I think everyone else has covered other meanings that I know of.

Sweet Potato
12 hours ago, Lancer said:

I know a lot of people who wear black silicone wedding rings on their left ring fingers at work to spare their actual rings any wear and tear, so worst comes to worst people might think you’re off the market (depending on age you might prefer that heheh).  Other than that I think everyone else has covered other meanings that I know of.

Im not allowed to wear a ring at all at work, I slip mine into a pocket on my way to my work station. never heard of wearing silicone rings, its an interesting concept

I wear mine on the left middle a lot because I have another ring that I wear on my right middle finger. But sometimes I like to switch them around a bit. Whatever works for you, honestly!

On 5/27/2018 at 4:09 AM, Lancer said:

I don't think I'll be having any problem with wear and tear, my ring's Tungsten Carbide, which is really durable, and also has less hazard of getting crushed onto your finger because in situations where soft metals fold, it shatters. I run more risk of cuts and punctures, but that's preferable to metal bent around already broken bone. 

Still a silicone ring is a good idea, I might keep that in mind for later.

Archived