Space Enthusiasts

The Mighty James

The Mighty James

I've searched a for a bit on AVAN and though I have found a bunch of people that have a deep passion for science I can't seem to find any Outer Earth lovers.

So my question much like the alien question. Are you out there?

And if so, Let's chat! :)  

Here is what most interests me most in Space!

Image result for black hole quasar

Knight of Cydonia

Well, I'm doing my PhD in Astrophysics so I certainly would consider myself a space enthusiast :). My focus is on exoplanets - finding and characterizing them, and studying their potential for habitability.

I used to be crazy interested in space in my school days, still even now! I find it so incredibly fascinating.

atpsynthace

I'm a biochemist by training, but I've always wished I went more in the direction of astrophysics, so I'd love to get in on space talk action ^^ Specifically, I think all of the chemical nonsense that happens in space is interesting, and potential biology on other planets gets me real fired up!

I love all sorts of science, and space stuff is certainly up there (or out there). :)

The Mighty James
13 minutes ago, Knight of Cydonia said:

Well, I'm doing my PhD in Astrophysics so I certainly would consider myself a space enthusiast :). My focus is on exoplanets - finding and characterizing them, and studying their potential for habitability.

@Knight of Cydonia A PhD? Good luck! :) I myself find the possibility of other habitual world truly exciting!

Particularly the Kepler mission :) 

A shard of glass

I work in the space industry. More specifically, I work for a company that makes the batteries that go on satellites and probes.

Not impressed?

The company I work for made the batteries for the Rosetta probe that landed on comet 67P (no, I never worked on that project, I started working there in November 2017)

QuantumEcho

I am always in space in my mind! 

Knight of Cydonia
42 minutes ago, The Mighty James said:

@Knight of Cydonia A PhD? Good luck! :) I myself find the possibility of other habitual world truly exciting!

Particularly the Kepler mission :) 

Thanks! 

Kepler data is exactly what I use for my research. It was (and still is) such an incredible telescope.

TophatNTails

I'm a wannabe science fiction writer who focuses primarily on space travel and space colonisation. You wouldn't believe the amount of time I spend researching the technological aspects of these things (I've got entire word documents about the size, mass and construction time of space colonies).

I'd love to live in space at some point in my lifetime (I wouldn't like to go to Mars though, I'd much rather live on either the moon, or on space stations in earth orbit).

WinterWanderer

I used to work in the space industry. :) It's very cool. My interest is less in the planet/astrophysics type stuff, and more concerned with astrobiology. Basically, the study of/search for life in space. I also like looking into the effect of spaceflight on human health.

SorryNotSorry

I'm especially interested in how Stephen Hawking's theory of a multiverse (as opposed to a universe) meshes with what we know about spacetime.

blunose2772

I remember growing up I would sit around the dinner table with my Dad and talking about (among other things) The evolution of space exploration. When I visited the Kennedy Space Center in Florida for the first time I was like a kid in a candy store

I’m quite interested in Astrochemistry. After all, the elements we see around us were forged in a star. Plus the age old question - where did all the Lithium go?

The Mighty James
3 hours ago, Baggage_warrior said:

I work in the space industry. More specifically, I work for a company that makes the batteries that go on satellites and probes.

Not impressed?

The company I work for made the batteries for the Rosetta probe that landed on comet 67P (no, I never worked on that project, I started working there in November 2017)

@Baggage_warrior I certainly am impressed. You must be very good to get that job!

The Mighty James
2 hours ago, TophatNTails said:

I'm a wannabe science fiction writer who focuses primarily on space travel and space colonisation. You wouldn't believe the amount of time I spend researching the technological aspects of these things (I've got entire word documents about the size, mass and construction time of space colonies).

I'd love to live in space at some point in my lifetime (I wouldn't like to go to Mars though, I'd much rather live on either the moon, or on space stations in earth orbit).

@TophatNTails Oh I certainly can imagine, when I find something interesting I dive deep into it. Wanting to know everything!

I want to write as well I have some things in mind and some of those Sci-Fi. In one I had to come up with a whole galaxy of planets. design them, how they could support life and etc.

The Mighty James
2 hours ago, Lichley said:

I’m quite interested in Astrochemistry. After all, the elements we see around us were forged in a star. Plus the age old question - where did all the Lithium go?

@Lichley Yeah, sometimes I look around me and am just amazed how everything around us came from a exploding star. :) 

The Mighty James
2 hours ago, Woodworker1968 said:

I'm especially interested in how Stephen Hawking's theory of a multiverse (as opposed to a universe) meshes with what we know about spacetime.

@Woodworker1968 Ah Hawking. He will always be my Science Bro :lol: 

I think the possibility of a multiverse is quite interesting. I always wondered if the same rules for physics would apply in another universe for would it be the same as ours.

The Mighty James
2 hours ago, Rynn said:

I used to work in the space industry. :) It's very cool. My interest is less in the planet/astrophysics type stuff, and more concerned with astrobiology. Basically, the study of/search for life in space. I also like looking into the effect of spaceflight on human health.

@Rynn That's awesome!!! You lucky duck ;) 

It would be amazing (and probably not that surprising) to find extraterrestrial life out there. we've probably already found some planets with life on them already but just have no means of seeing them.

The Mighty James
3 hours ago, QuantumEcho said:

I am always in space in my mind! 

@QuantumEcho ME TO! I like thinking about Black Holes, how they work and etc.

The Mighty James
3 hours ago, daveb said:

I love all sorts of science, and space stuff is certainly up there (or out there). :)

@daveb Oh me to. I'm a bit iffy on Biology though but that's just because I'm kind of squeamish :lol: 

The Mighty James
3 hours ago, atpsynthace said:

I'm a biochemist by training, but I've always wished I went more in the direction of astrophysics, so I'd love to get in on space talk action ^^ Specifically, I think all of the chemical nonsense that happens in space is interesting, and potential biology on other planets gets me real fired up!

@atpsynthace That's still cool!

I know right! Just imagining what life would be like on other worlds. Would they be like life on Earth or be different in some way. OH THE POSSIBILITIES!

The Mighty James
4 hours ago, Mae__ said:

I used to be crazy interested in space in my school days, still even now! I find it so incredibly fascinating.

@Mae__ It is fascinating isn't it ^_^ 

I remember in school that Science was my best grade! A solid C. Quite proud of that myself ^_^ 

The Mighty James
2 hours ago, Knight of Cydonia said:

Thanks! 

Kepler data is exactly what I use for my research. It was (and still is) such an incredible telescope.

@Knight of Cydonia OH NICE! I love following Kepler updates. I reckon it's already found worlds with life on them and we just don't know for sure yet!

I'm an undergrad in astrophysics. I'm not really interested in studying the astrochem, astrobio, or astrogeo, but they can be fun to talk about. My favourite bits are (high energy) astroparticle physics, and also the intersection between quantum mechanics and astrophysics.

Asterion Orestes

Fascinating subject.

In my youth I tried setting down science fiction in written or graphic form. Decades later my creativity seems to have shriveled!

I'm still working, among other tiny projects, on what we might call "asexual science fiction." I'm not trying to establish this as a genre but, so far, seem unwilling or unable to give up the autobiographical bent ostensibly typical of new authors. The imagined scope may be expansive, with time travel (including the dubious backward variety) & alternate worlds--but so far all I have is a mere partial outline. Fortunately I don't expect to make my living as a novelist.

Progress in space exploration obviously hasn't lived up to early visions, but today's incrementalism beats some of the alternatives. Sending robots instead of humans is also a great option. Personally I'm more interested in the outer planets than our closer neighbors but realize I'm unlikely to ever travel to any of them. Science will go on anyway, since we have the tools to observe the cosmos (even if I can't do the math😊). The proposed StarShot project promises to make even the nearest stars virtually within reach.

We have this consolation: We're already traveling through spacetime! Yes, the temporal direction is one-way. Meanwhile our sun brings its family along on its ride around our galaxy's hub. Every 1190 Earth years the solar system has moved another light year in its orbit. Too bad we don't live longer...

The Mighty James
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:50 AM, Baam said:

I'm an undergrad in astrophysics. I'm not really interested in studying the astrochem, astrobio, or astrogeo, but they can be fun to talk about. My favourite bits are (high energy) astroparticle physics, and also the intersection between quantum mechanics and astrophysics.

@Baam I personally love the science behind Black Holes. Just everything about them I find so fascinating.

The Mighty James
4 hours ago, Asterion Orestes said:

Fascinating subject.

In my youth I tried setting down science fiction in written or graphic form. Decades later my creativity seems to have shriveled!

I'm still working, among other tiny projects, on what we might call "asexual science fiction." I'm not trying to establish this as a genre but, so far, seem unwilling or unable to give up the autobiographical bent ostensibly typical of new authors. The imagined scope may be expansive, with time travel (including the dubious backward variety) & alternate worlds--but so far all I have is a mere partial outline. Fortunately I don't expect to make my living as a novelist.

Progress in space exploration obviously hasn't lived up to early visions, but today's incrementalism beats some of the alternatives. Sending robots instead of humans is also a great option. Personally I'm more interested in the outer planets than our closer neighbors but realize I'm unlikely to ever travel to any of them. Science will go on anyway, since we have the tools to observe the cosmos (even if I can't do the math😊). The proposed StarShot project promises to make even the nearest stars virtually within reach.

We have this consolation: We're already traveling through spacetime! Yes, the temporal direction is one-way. Meanwhile our sun brings its family along on its ride around our galaxy's hub. Every 1190 Earth years the solar system has moved another light year in its orbit. Too bad we don't live longer...

@Asterion Orestes So is it like Sci-Fi but with a or multiple Ace characters?

Well I know Space X are making great progress in improving Space Travel. Only recently they have managed to land one of their rockets to use again saving time and money on more missions. Also with the advancement in robotics recently I wouldn't be surprised if they did send robots up soon. But I also have read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and making robots work on Mars maybe wasn't the best idea :lol: 

Every 1190 years? I did not know that. Wow. ^_^ 

Asterion Orestes
4 hours ago, The Mighty James said:

@Asterion Orestes So is it like Sci-Fi but with a or multiple Ace characters?

Yes, two leading characters, one transparently based on this would-be author & the other a "new, improved" version of an idealized gal pal. This likely suggests an amateur writer.🙄

Every 1190 years? I did not know that. Wow. ^_^ 

Strangely enough I didn't either till recently. The info's in this article toward the end of the section. I hadn't thought to figure in our galaxy's proper motion, though.

SorryNotSorry
On May 23, 2018 at 5:35 PM, The Mighty James said:

@Woodworker1968 Ah Hawking. He will always be my Science Bro :lol: 

I think the possibility of a multiverse is quite interesting. I always wondered if the same rules for physics would apply in another universe for would it be the same as ours.

His theory of multiverse kind of ruined a story I've been working on, but at the same time it kind of opened a door for it. In the story, the villains are screwing around with an interdimensional portal they built and they get the thing to work, but the opposite of the way they wanted it to. They bring some beings through it against their will, to our part of the multiverse, where the beings find that everyone does things totally ass-backwards and the laws of physics behave differently. The rest of the story is a race against time between the protagonists and the villains. 

Since getting my Asperger's diagnosis half a year ago, I think the story might be a hit with other aspies, strangers trying to get by in a world we never made.

Archived