What part of the DC animated Universe should I watch next?

Evren

About two months ago I was suddenly inspired to look into the DC comics side of things. I had always stuck with Marvel before this, but I started reading DC fanfiction and got really interested. Since comics are expensive, I've been watching all of the animated stuff. 

To date I have watched:

Justice League: The Animated Series

Justice League Unlimited 

Young Justice (which was just as amazing as I was promised)

Justice League: War (which is a movie)

I'm just kind of unsure where to go from here. I was considering Batman: The animated series, or Teen Titans. I'm unsure about Batman: The Animated Series because it has so many seasons and I'm having to buy all of these as they are no where to be found for rental.

Have you seen "Superman/Shazam!: Return of Black Adam" yet?

The one I saw also included three DC Showcase features.

Green Arrow, The Specter, and Jonah Hex.

Justice League: Gods and Monsters was awesome as well!

The Flashpoint Paradox and the latest Suicide Squad: Hell To Pay were pretty entertaining.

Pretty much all of the modern animated movies are really good so I would recommend them over series.

The DC animated universe is generally awesome and there are a number of good movies to watch if you aren't sure about committing to an entire series just yet.

Batman: Under the Red Hood, Batman: Gotham Knight, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One, and Son of Batman are all worth checking out while you decide whether to get into Batman: TAS. Some of them used to be on Netflix, but I don't know if that is still the case. The Wonder Woman animated film also gets my recommendation. Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, Justice League: Doom, Justice League: the Flashpoint Paradox, Justice League: Throne of Atlantis, and Justice League: Gods and Monsters are great follow-ups to a thorough watching of the Justice League and Unlimited series. 

Really, it's hard to go wrong with DC's animated films and series. I've enjoyed every one that I have seen, though some are still better than others.

EggplantWitch

I also second Superman/Shazam: Return of Black Adam, but I am a huge Captain Marvel/Shazam fangirl. He's just so cute ;-; For the movies I would also recommend Justice League: Throne of Atlantis, which is a far superior (imo) sequel to Justice League: War.

Batman TAS is pretty good, but like you said, pretty long. Superman TAS is also good fun, and part of the same continuity as the Justice League/JLU series. An unrelated but even more fantastic show is Green Lantern: The Animated Series. It's CGI and pretty recent compared to the others, but it's actually fantastic. It made me like Hal Jordan! And that's saying something. It's also only two seasons long (WHICH IS A CRIME) if you don't want to commit to something big.

My absolute favourite DC show of all time, quite possibly even above Justice League, is Batman: The Brave and the Bold, but you have to know what you're getting into with that one - which is to say, both parody and love letter to Silver Age campiness and showcaser of D-List heroes. It's very different from all of the other animated series and movies, I can tell you that much!

Batman: TBatB is amazing. Hugely seconded! The vast majority of modern interpretations of Batman have been increasingly dark, gritty, and serious in tone, with very little of the silliness that used to be more common in comics in general. TBatB is an entirely different take; it's incredibly silly and doesn't take itself seriously at all, or have any pretensions towards realism. Personally, I found it very refreshing after seeing so many dead-serious takes on the character, however much I enjoy them as well. I'd highly recommend it for anyone with an appreciation for the goofier side of comics.

Archived