If you had a chance, would you try to start your own business someday?

Red_Star

I would probably take up doing freelance art or having my own online art store. I personally would like to learn how to manage finances and run it first but it is a goal I strive to in the years ahead. 

Celyn: The Lutening

I'd love a second-hand bookshop. But they've been described as "the most pleasurable way to lose money", so I'll wait till I'm old and crumbly as the books I'll sell.

Skycaptain

Not stunningly exciting, but I run a small cab firm. I'd been in the industry for a decade, and had got fed up with working for bosses taking all the money, so we set up a collective firm, where the company itself doesn't make a profit, but we all put money in for the monthly bills. 

I'd love to have my own graphic design company one day...dream big and all

I was self-employed for a while and only gave it up when another opportunity came up. Would happily do my own business again, though the next time I might go for a company right away.

There's no such thing as having a chance. It's about having a thorough business plan and enough money to start with. I cannot overemphasise the importance of both of these. And to be clear: when I talk about money, I mean your own. Borrowing money is for increasing profits alone (if you don't know what I mean by that you need to do a "start your own business" course of sorts).

InfiniteNull

I hope to be an independent business consultant in my 50s... I may have one or two employees max but for the most part will probably just work on my own and contract out any help that I need. I'll probably focus mostly on process improvement, employee engagement, and change implementation as those are my strengths

Yatagarasu

I'd rather be a freelancer. Starting your own business here is too much pain.

A shard of glass

Trying to start a company building electronics/airsoft kit.

Currently training myself to design the code for the first prototype, but so far, the first prototype (called AGC_01P: Airsoft Gun Computer_01 Prototype) has a pretty simple "how the wiring is meant to work" plan. Hoping to have the first prototype finished by September >.<

I had a little graphic design business years ago, but I also had a small child to look after and I was in a relationship that wasn't very healthy so I gave up in the end. 

I think if I had a business partner at that time, it would have been much easier and YES it was great to be my own boss :) 

I'd love to run my own mix of a bookstore/micro-library and a cafe, with open-mic evenings and poetry readings... invite some interesting speakers too. I could easily do all ordering and accounting and general management as I used to be a purchasing manager in a company once. The thing is... places like that keep closing all the time, even after more than a decade in business, so... :/ it may not be the best idea, really.  

.diva plavalaguna.

I did, three years ago. While it's not wildly huge or anything I'll keep it going for as long as I can. I also like to think of other businesses to start that let me still be creative but make money. If I can make a way, I'll always choose to start a business over slaving for someone else.

Sweet Potato

my dream job is to run a needlework store. I daydream about walls of fabrics, pretty threads all sorted by brand and type, hosting lessons on various embroidery styles.

Probably. I like the idea of running my own business - though I'm fiscally far too conservative to make that a likely possibility (I am well aware that I am very likely to make significantly more money as an employee than I would running my own business in a field that really interest me)

--> So the only real option would be once I've shuffled so much cash to the side that I really don't care if I make any money any more.

And at that point I'd probably spend my time to go into politics or something...

So yeah - conceptually yes, but realistically very very unlikely ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to own my own electronics repair shop someday, tbh. I love disassembling stuff to make repairs, and most people aren't comfortable doing it themselves, so why not have them pay me to do it for them? *cough cough*

I have always wanted to run a food truck! :D

Wether it be hotdogs, or coffee. It sounds like so much fun!

Grumpy Alien

I was just discussing this! It never appealed to me before but my fiancé had an idea. Long story short, I work in medicine but also love animals. He was looking at local job listings for anything care related. His nan is a professional dog sitter but really should cut back on how many dogs she has on a given day. She makes good money doing it and if you’ve had lots of pets and love animals, it’s not too hard. When we eventually have a bigger house with a garden, it’s something to consider - taking some of his nan’s clients to lessen her load and start my own business of pet sitting. I’m not totally sold on the idea but I’ll definitely think about it in the next couple years.

No! I'm taking an entrepreneurship class, and I really hate it. I already knew for a while I never want to be an entrepreneur.

I'm only taking entrepreneurship because it's part of the business program in school.

scarletlatitude

Yes, bake shop. I don't want to do all the work though. I just wanna bake stuff all the time. :P 

Yes -  I have a small commercial lot connected to my property, so it's always been a thought (for fun, not profit).  

A mid-size cafe/book nook :) 
I'd like to build a place with walls of windows & all the seating would be around the outside by the windows - some cafe tables, some comfy couches/conversation areas, some little private nooks.  Center of the room would be a large square countertop made from bookshelves with four large columns on the corners, also made of bookshelves (for the checkout for drinks/muffins/bagels/etc).  The books would be free to use in the cafe - ok to 'check out' & return later also (kind of like a library) - or can also buy.  An outdoor area with a large partially covered deck would be nice too.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea in principle, although I have some reservations when reading the one year and five year success/failure rates for new businesses.

RakshaTheCat

I do small software development projects from time to time. This is not really full scale business though, I don't think I could do proper networking with people for that... Hmm, maybe someone here is good with 'people' stuff and needs someone technical as a partner in their IT business? :)

My dream 'hobby business' would be to gang up with someone creative and artsy and make small game (or anything interactive) with them. Bonus points if it would have cats 😺 As long as it's something small enough to actually finish and release, I would be happy.

Anthracite_Impreza

If there's ever a market for snail wrangling and rehabilitation I'm all over it, my house is already a rest-home for any invertebrates-in-distress I come across.

Archived