New AVENues Issue: Mental Health

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

Hello all! Here is our next AVENues issue! It is all about mental health. Before you click, note that some of these stories mention suicide and other mental health issues, so TW!! 

To view/share: https://issuu.com/avenues1/docs/avenues-magazine-summer-2018

To download: http://bit.ly/avenues-summer-2018-download (368 MB)

avenues_magazine_summer_2018_front_cover

Many many many thanks to all of our awesome staff and contributors!! 

Editor in Chief: @scarletlatitude

Layout: @ThinkNotVanilla

Editors: @Blue Ice-Tea, @Snao Cone, @kelico

Creative team: @SkyWorld, @kelico

Contributors: @bluedragonwings, JOR, @AbyssGaze, @Homer

We had a LOT of responses to our questions of the month, so you will see many other aces in this issue too! 

----------------------------------------------------

Our next issue will be on style! How does your orientation impact your style? What does style mean for you? Are there things that frustrate you about the fashion industry? We would especially like to hear from any non-binary or transgender people, but as always, we welcome all submissions!

Fill out our question of the month form here: https://goo.gl/forms/PzUl47ppkiI3zGYF3

Remember, we are always looking for articles and artwork to add to AVENues!

To submit creative works, please go here: https://goo.gl/forms/QQqfdfOR69niJFoP2
Send us your asexy jokes and puns here: https://goo.gl/forms/Rg4vlY6XZ7c17bNJ3
For larger submissions, please email us at newsletter@asexuality.org or avenues.submissions@gmail.com
You may also send a private message to any of the AVENues staff on AVEN

• Like 21

Hey, I was quoted a couple times. Thanks for sharing, everyone!

• Like 8
Biblioromantic

This is really great. Anyone who knows me here knows what a big issue mental health is for me, and I'm glad to see it being reflected in AVENues. Glad to see my comments made it into the final product too, even though they were anonymous.

Thanks for all the hard work, you guys. It always looks so awesome, and the content is always interesting and relatable. Great job!

• Like 5
TheCatBehind

Oh god, I pushed this out of my mind lol Thank god I gave my response early or I wouldn’t have at all!

Havent read it in its entirety yet, but I can tell it’s high quality!

• Like 2

Thank you to everyone who contributed by sharing their experiences. I'm so glad we went with this subject, as it clearly means to so much of our community. ❤️

• Like 5

Shout out to @bluedragonwings for their incredible testimony! I believe many of us can relate, in one way or another, to at least some of what they said, and it takes a truckful of courage to put this kinds of feelings out.

• Like 5
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Can't wait for the next one as well...I recently had weird experiences at work , being told I shouldn't dress that way I do, then being congratulated for wearing a lacy top (everything else was in the wash) ,it felt manipulative. I don't want to give up my plain shirts and yoga pants for any society.!

• 2 weeks later...

My peaves with fashion/clothing is that:

1. Women's clothing never has pockets and wear out really quickly

2. In my Sixform girls aren't meant to show their shoulder lest it make the boys 'uncomtable'

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
Blissful_Sins

Ouf I didn't get around to reading the June issue yet D; nshallah this week or next week

• Like 1

Thank you for this valuable edition. It has certainly brought to my awareness how many asexuals are struggling with mental health problems and provided lots of insights on the links along with lots of good information on how to find support.

Being asexual and not realising there was a word for it for years and the fact it still isn't largely recognised or understood (thus I'm still not fully 'out yet) has also had a negative impact on my mental health.

I'd be interested to hear if there any academic studies on these issues and what folk are doing to raise awareness.

• Like 2

Thank you for this valuable edition and especially a shout out for people who had shared their experiences. 

But I feel like this month's edition is a bit tense for me, and sometimes I would think if a registered counselor could give us some advise about how to deal with mental health issues in general, or just because of our sexuality, would make this more colourful (in a wonderful way). 

I mean this edition is very nice, but I just to make this suggestion. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Bit late, but I wanted to say thank you. Some of the comments in this edition really struck me, as they expressed almost exactly what I'm going through right now. It's made me feel a little bit less alone and weird, and that's invaluable to me. Thank you so, so much! ❤️

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

This newsletter has been super helpful in making me feel less alone. Right now I am dealing with a resurgence of my depression, and while I have been able to fight it back down, it still gave me a scare. I don't want to go back to who I was before. Super excited to read the next newsletter!