Worried About Taking The Pill

Izzygolden

Hey guys! I'm 16 and (a little embarrassing) I have hirsutism, which means I have excess facial hair. I tried one (round?) of laser hair removal treatment but it seems like the problem has gotten worse, not better. I asked the woman working at the treatment place about it and she mentioned something about my hair cycle. I didn't really understand that, but I've decided that laser hair removal isn't going to work for me. My identical twin with the same problem wants to start taking the birth control pill to see if that will help. I would love to try that too, except that I've heard about the pill causing an increase in libido. I've never had a libido and am not interested in getting one, not that there's anything wrong with it, I just wouldn't feel comfortable. My sister isn't  nonlibidoist, or ace for that matter, and probably doesn't worry about this stuff. Do you think I'm worrying over nothing or should I maybe try something else?

WinterWanderer

The pill can have a variety of side effects. Some people experience an increase in libido, some people experience a decrease, and some people have no change in libido at all. I'd talk to your doctor about your concerns.

• Like 2
SpaceDustbin

Everyone reacts differently to the pill. My main problem was that it gave me crazy mood swings, which was not optimal, but there are many different types of the pill, so there might be one that doesn't give too many side-effects. You can always stop if you feel it doesn't work, or if it makes you feel uncomfortable. 

So, I'd say give it a try, and see what happens

• Like 1

Have you had testing for PCOS? :) They recommend different pills to help with the management of it. No one size fits all with the pill, you might have to keep trying different ones. If you're worried, Loestrin is one of the lowest doses of combined pill out.

45 minutes ago, SpaceDustbin said:

Everyone reacts differently to the pill. My main problem was that it gave me crazy mood swings, which was not optimal, but there are many different types of the pill, so there might be one that doesn't give too many side-effects. You can always stop if you feel it doesn't work, or if it makes you feel uncomfortable. 

So, I'd say give it a try, and see what happens

I agree @SpaceDustbin, and if you're really concerned you can ask for a lower dose

• Like 1
smallnsparky

The pill is commonly prescribed for a variety of medical issues, and like any other meds, there can be side effects, but all of this can and should be covered by your doctor. I've been on it myself, to control my crippling periods, and it certainly didn't increase my libido. As other people have said, there's more than just one 'pill' so your doc may want you to test out different ones, so don't be afraid of that, or telling them if something doesn't feel right while you're taking it. 

• Like 3