What's The Stupidest Thing You've Ever Believed?

Tabula Rasa

Alejandrogynous
1 hour ago, PottedPatchouli said:

When i was little my dad told me that if you stick your finger in your belly button your butt would fall off. I didn't stick my finger in mine until i was about ten, and it was terrifying the first few times. 

I was terrified of my belly button when I was little because I thought, since the doctor had to tie it off when I was born, that it could come undone and my insides would all fall out.

krystal_muzik
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:25 PM, Knight of Cydonia said:

When I was little, I thought that when a hockey team went on a "Power Play", the players got super strength and faster reflexes.

That would be awesome!

I used to think that tenure was "ten year" and people got it after working for ten years 

1 hour ago, allieace said:

I used to think that tenure was "ten year" and people got it after working for ten years 

Some teachers don't deserve tenure. My brother, my sister-in-law, and I had some very bad, extremely mean, rude, and uncaring teachers in school who had tenure. They really should have been fired for the way they treated students but all that could be done was for our parents to go to the school and inform them. Sorry, for the mini-rant.

I'mTheDecoy

I'm still slightly attached to this belief even though I know it is wrong, because I thought it for so long.

I used to think that Emperor Penguins were six feet tall.

The reason for this is simply that I had never seen one in real life or next to a human or other size-relatable thing on TV.

I had these animal cards that said they were the biggest penguin, and people said that they looked like men in suits... so I guess I thought they were as big as people, and maybe the biggest BIRD rather than just penguin.

I thought Happy Feet was dumb when they showed a GIANT leopard seal attacking the penguins - I knew how big seals were and this one from my perspective appeared to be the size of a bulldozer and that's dumb right.... didn't click that it wasn't a giant seal and that the penguins were small.

It wasn't until the end credits of March Of the Penguins when I saw the filmmakers next to the penguins that I learned the truth.   I WAS A FULLY GROWN ADULT BEFORE I FOUND OUT THAT EMPEROR PENGUINS ARE LITTLE.

My housemate still won't let me live this down.

I'mTheDecoy
18 hours ago, PottedPatchouli said:

When i was little my dad told me that if you stick your finger in your belly button your butt would fall off. I didn't stick my finger in mine until i was about ten, and it was terrifying the first few times. 

When I was little, my brothers told me that every time you hit your head, you kill a brain cell.  But for some reason I thought that humans only had say ten or twenty brain cells and so if you bumped your head more than that during your life, you'd be brain dead.

I'mTheDecoy
On 5/19/2018 at 7:01 AM, snapesonalane said:

Mom, how many lies have I been living?! 

Was that a sneaky Community quote or just coincidence?

I'mTheDecoy
On 5/19/2018 at 8:27 PM, Gloomy said:

I believed in Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, and the Toothfairy until I was 10.

I came up with a foolproof plan to discover whether the Toothfairy was real or not.  I decided that the next time my tooth fell out, I would put it under my pillow WITHOUT telling my mother.  Therefore, if a shiny 20p appeared over night, then fairies were real, but if the tooth was still there, then it had been my mother all along.  I was very pleased with this plan.  Unfortunately by the time my next tooth came loose I had simply grown up too much to believe in fairies at all and I never got to try out my nefarious detective scheme.

I'mTheDecoy
On 6/17/2018 at 2:26 AM, Sweet Potato said:

I thought skein was pronounced "skeen" until I was 24

Ooookay, I believed up until one minute ago that it was pronounced that way.  It's 'SKAYN' people.

I also only found out this year that I am a moron and it's 'KYMEERA' not 'SHIMERA'.  Every time I head someone say chimera the CORRECT way, I thought they were stupid or it was a joke about how stupid they were.  OMG.

7 hours ago, queerditch said:

Some teachers don't deserve tenure. 

Agreed. Tenure should be awarded based on performance and they really should be asking the students their honest opinions. There were so many teachers who were not fit to be teachers; I had an algebra teacher who only got the job because her mother was the superintendent of the school district and she was literally the worst teacher I ever had (didn't know how to do a lot of the topics, came in late at least twice a week to the first period class, and was incredibly mean) but of course she had tenure and would literally have to commit a crime to be fired.

On 5/19/2018 at 2:11 AM, SparkyCat13 said:

I had a weird phase in elementary/middle school, where I thought that public toilets would either suck me in or a hand would come out of the toilet and grab me when I flushed, so I'd get my pants back on and open the door and everything before flushing the toilet, and then I'd bolt out of there as fast as I could so it couldn't get me. No earthly idea where I got that idea.

Like this?

http://yokai.com/kurote/

Tabula Rasa
On 7/13/2018 at 3:35 PM, Zefron said:

As an early elementary student I was convinced that it was a thing that all boys just didn't wash their hands after they pee. Recently I told my friend that and he said that he thought the same thing but about girls! Where the f did we even get that from? 

I still believe that about men! Hard to shake that belief.

When I was a really young kid, I believed that if I messed around with the phone, there would be angry operators at the phone exchange who would know what I was doing, and that they would shout at me down the phone and threaten to send the police around if I didn't stop fiddling with it. 

I believed that because I had cousins of a similar age who claimed that it had happened to them. 

I used to think that teachers lived and slept at school. I also believed that my great-uncle was Santa (even though I'd pulled off his beard in front of the entire family), rather than ceasing to believe in him entirely.

Tabula Rasa
5 minutes ago, _wt said:

I used to think that teachers lived and slept at school.

That reminds me... at some point in my childhood I believed that teachers never ever had to go to the bathroom.

10 minutes ago, The Bookworm said:

That reminds me... at some point in my childhood I believed that teachers never ever had to go to the bathroom.

I believed that one too! Somehow, they never seemed to do so when you were in the classroom.... 🤨

Aoi Android

I used to think the word "philanthropic"  was "feeling thropic" and "thropic" meant feeling like being a generous person. Not a major confusion, but I did land myself into some instances of social ridicule by saying someone "feels thropic" or someone's having a "thropic day"

On 7/25/2018 at 8:50 AM, I'mTheDecoy said:

I'm still slightly attached to this belief even though I know it is wrong, because I thought it for so long.

I used to think that Emperor Penguins were six feet tall.

The reason for this is simply that I had never seen one in real life or next to a human or other size-relatable thing on TV.

I had these animal cards that said they were the biggest penguin, and people said that they looked like men in suits... so I guess I thought they were as big as people, and maybe the biggest BIRD rather than just penguin.

I thought Happy Feet was dumb when they showed a GIANT leopard seal attacking the penguins - I knew how big seals were and this one from my perspective appeared to be the size of a bulldozer and that's dumb right.... didn't click that it wasn't a giant seal and that the penguins were small.

It wasn't until the end credits of March Of the Penguins when I saw the filmmakers next to the penguins that I learned the truth.   I WAS A FULLY GROWN ADULT BEFORE I FOUND OUT THAT EMPEROR PENGUINS ARE LITTLE.

My housemate still won't let me live this down.

H.P Lovecraft wrote a story set in Antarctica in which six-foot-tall penguins actually appeared.

1 minute ago, RoonalWaslib said:

You know, those guys will give you a Piece of Heart if you bring them toilet paper.

Depends on the game. In Skyward Sword if you give it a letter it haunts some poor kid.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought that some poodles were born with pink fur.

Anthracite_Impreza
5 hours ago, mreid said:

I had a classmate (she was 18) who believed that water made her gain weight because her body needed water to survive.

I mean, surely that would depend how much you drank and how little you peed? ;)

Anthracite_Impreza
1 minute ago, mreid said:

By the same logic, air would also make her gain weight, depending on how much of it she farted out.

Probably does technically ;) Lots of people won't get weighed until they've had a shit, I know that from my constantly dieting family.

Believed Beverly Hills was a person

Thought Spain was above France, and got confused why we were going down Europe and not up on the way to Barcelona

Thought Amsterdam was some animal kingdom that only my uncle got to visit, because he flew there before he went to his house in France

Thought Budapest was a festival

I'm still really bad at geography. I couldn't tell you where Poland is on a map.

I just remembered this one today: I thought that our two cats were reincarnations of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.

Also for some reason I thought couples got married every time they had a kid. Like I thought my parents got married when they had me and then got married again when they had my sister. My mom was actually pregnant with me when she and my dad got married, so perhaps that's where that belief came from? xD

Life With Masks

When I was a little kid...

I believed that people with different eye colors saw the world differently.

I believed that people could change their assigned sex at birth freely and easily when they reached adulthood.

I believed that you could marry anyone in the family and that was the norm.

I believed that the people that you saw on TV were watching us.

I believed that guns in movies could trespass fiction and shoot me and so I would flee the room, scared.

I believed that you could cook only with ingredients and no need to add heat, so I tried to do a meal and made a big mess.

I believed that that tall plant in the veranda would grow even taller, even reaching the moon. I tried giving it lots of water for it to grow even taller.

I believed that below the sand there was money or new treasures to be discovered because I happened to pick up money from the sand when I was at the beach. I think it was the first time I went there.

I believed that when the moon was full, it was the best time to try new rituals I created just at the moment by mixing random ink and other materials in water so that I could reach to highter levels of counciousness. I painted the wall so that the ritual could be finished, and there's still the mark. I'm sorry for my parents.

I believed that there were animals or treasures living inside the walls.

I believed that if I though some of my thoughs really aloud, someone could hear them.

I believed that you could get a baby chicken if you heated an egg sometime each time a day, and so I kept it heated for a long time, until I gave up.

I believed that my father was pregnant because he had a big belly.

I believed that it was socially acceptable to eat a cupcake from down to upside, eat bread in a circling way until it reached the center, to eat the filling of your oreos and taking the rest out, to eat something and as it's not of your liking it was ok to leave the rest laying for others to take, and to use your spoon with your full hand, and so on.

I believed that I would never grow out of writing in cursive. Now, I don't even remember how to write in cursive, because it takes too much to take appointments.

I believed that I could get good grades if I used my lucky pen.

Recently...

I always though I was bisexual/heterosexual/homosexual because I have fallen in love with anime boys and girls. But I never noticed that I have never fallen in love with a human before and in general I'm not fond of the human appearance, so I'm most probably asexual and on the sprectrum of aromantic.

Archived