What's The Stupidest Thing You've Ever Believed?

Tabula Rasa

Mr. Quickhands
24 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

"Asexuality? What a phony made-up sexuality. EVERYONE feels like that."

Oh honey.

Sexuality still sounds fake to me

Other people: "I need sex!"

Me:

zmhjyzs09evz.png

Anyways, stupidest thing... I dunno. Oh, I believed in Santa until like the 2nd or 3rd grade or something like that, and also believed toy came to life on Christmas night. I'm proud of that, it's so much more fun not being cynical about Christmas as a kid

I used to believe that sun wasn't some star, but a huge ball of fire which lives under ocean at night. I was seriously contemplating of swimming underwater at night, to check where exactly the sun is, when I was a kid. 

I thought trees could bleed. I was at my godmother's house and I threw something at one of her trees and orange-red stuff started coming out. I immediately started panicking and crying because I thought I hurt the tree and the police was coming for me. It was only tree sap. I was eight; it was a weird time.  

2 hours ago, Karoushi said:

I thought trees could bleed. I was at my godmother's house and I threw something at one of her trees and orange-red stuff started coming out. I immediately started panicking and crying because I thought I hurt the tree and the police was coming for me. It was only tree sap. I was eight; it was a weird time.  

I thought trees would hurt and feel pain the same way we do, if we pulled a leaf of broke a branch, because that's what the adults always said when I was a young kid, lol.

When I was a kid, my parents told me and my siblings that if you put salt on a birds tail feathers it wouldn't be able to fly anymore. They told us that so that we wouldn't be in their hair all day, cause they knew we'd want to try it and we bought it 100% :'D

I use to think when sports teams beat each other the winner would take the losers name Ex. The Giants beat the Seahawks = Giant Seahawks.

StupidDream

I once believed in the Apollo moon landings, then I didn't believe they happened, then I believed again when I found out about the laser ranging experiment and now I don't know what to think about them!  Damn you Internet!! 😂

Hick Wizard

When I was a little kid, I was afraid that vampires would get me while I slept, so I would sleep with the blankets up and covering my neck thinking that would protect me.

1 hour ago, Hick Wizard said:

When I was a little kid, I was afraid that vampires would get me while I slept, so I would sleep with the blankets up and covering my neck thinking that would protect me.

I still feel very uncomfortable having my feet or hands sticking out from under the covers and I'm in my 20s haha

Grumpy Alien
On 6/8/2018 at 3:13 AM, (1/137)ce said:

I believed in Santa until like the 2nd or 3rd grade or something like that

🤔 why is that weird?? Most kids believe in Santa until they’re between 8-12 and it varies a lot.

In 3rd grade, I thought if no one was looking directly at me, I was invisible. I had gained a lot of weight with the early onset of puberty and was taller than my peers (even though I’m 5’3 at 25 now) so I became very self conscious that people were looking at me and thinking I was ugly. I was also starting to realize that my taste in clothes was very different from my wardrobe (bought by my aunt). I somehow convinced myself that it was all okay because no one could actually tell what I looked like as long as they weren’t looking straight at me. So I avoided eye contact and kept quiet and genuinely thought no one could see me most of the time. My child brain didn’t question how they knew I was there to look at me or talk to me if I was invisible before. As soon as someone started to pay attention to me, I’d suck in my gut and try to look as uninterested as possible so they’d not see my ugliness and go away quickly. A way of coping, I guess?

Tabula Rasa
10 minutes ago, Graceful said:

In 3rd grade, I thought if no one was looking directly at me, I was invisible. I had gained a lot of weight with the early onset of puberty and was taller than my peers (even though I’m 5’3 at 25 now) so I became very self conscious that people were looking at me and thinking I was ugly. I was also starting to realize that my taste in clothes was very different from my wardrobe (bought by my aunt). I somehow convinced myself that it was all okay because no one could actually tell what I looked like as long as they weren’t looking straight at me. So I avoided eye contact and kept quiet and genuinely thought no one could see me most of the time. My child brain didn’t question how they knew I was there to look at me or talk to me if I was invisible before. As soon as someone started to pay attention to me, I’d suck in my gut and try to look as uninterested as possible so they’d not see my ugliness and go away quickly. A way of coping, I guess?

That's so sad. I hope you're completely past that.

Grumpy Alien
17 minutes ago, The Bookworm said:

That's so sad. I hope you're completely past that.

Well I figured out within a year that people cannot be invisible and most people have some level of peripheral vision. (From which I’m not exempt.) My self esteem never improved beyond that but I like to think I function well as an adult despite that. I’m told I exude as much confidence as I actually lack. I’m still fairly uncomfortable with attention or any bit of limelight but I’m not exactly a celebrity so I manage. :) 

When I was a kid I used to believe that there was some sort of secret ritual done in weddings that magically gets the girl pregnant.

Kind of wish that was the case though :P

RoseGoesToYale

I used to believe that gum would stay in your digestive system for seven years if you swallowed it. But I used to swallow gum a lot as a kid, so I wondered why I wasn't dead by then.

Also Santa coming down the chimney, because I grew up in a hot climate where almost no houses had chimneys. One kid in school even asked the teacher if Santa can't come in through a chimney, does he trespass and break in? XD

I believed as a grade schooler that i could grow up to be a Power Ranger. Also, that my toys could come to life like in Toy Story when i wasn't around, that Jurassic Park was a real place, that anime was based on places here in the US, and that you could get arrested if you passed by a cop in a car and looked at them. ( my sis told me something like cops get mad if you look at them when they passed by and i believed that for years..😅)

On 5/19/2018 at 2:27 PM, Gloomy said:

I believed in Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, and the Toothfairy until I was 10. 

I believed in all those plus the Great Pumpkin and the Turkey Bird until my 7th grade teacher ruined it.

My parents always said flea markets sold fleas. I was 19 when I figured out that wasn't the case.

Before my parents gave me The Talk in middle school, I thought you went to hell if you had sex. I cried for days when I found out you had to have sex to have kids because I thought all the adults I knew were going to hell.

As a kid, I thought a shark would come out of the toilet.

I thought i waa immune to nicotine because it "was in my blood" because my grandfather and great aunts all smoked.

I always thought people were exaggerating when they talked about sex

Edit: Sorry, my phone was acting up and triple posted. I don't know how to delete a post.

Edit: Sorry, my phone was acting up and triple posted. I don't know how to delete a post.

Sweet Potato

I thought skein was pronounced "skeen" until I was 24

as a teen I thought I would have more free time as an adult

I firmly believed right up until Nov 8 2016 that there was no way the US election would go the way it did

when I was in grade 2 I thought Queen Elizabeth lived in Canada (Quebec city to be specific) I figured if her picture was on our money then she was in our country.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

The stupiest thing I ever believed was that your family is supposed to love and support you. It's the biggest lie and false prospect to relay on.

cant-trust.gif

In elementary school I lived by this one bridge on a nature trail and sometimes water birds would hide under there from heat and when a person came they got spooked and made noise.

I thought there was a troll under there and I always carried a sharp stick in case it tried to attack

On 6/9/2018 at 9:51 PM, Ammy said:

I still feel very uncomfortable having my feet or hands sticking out from under the covers and I'm in my 20s haha

I must be the only one who never experienced this, somehow. I can't sleep unless one of my arms/legs is dangling off the bed, especially in summer!

On 6/10/2018 at 9:36 PM, Mirari said:

When I was a kid I used to believe that there was some sort of secret ritual done in weddings that magically gets the girl pregnant.

Kind of wish that was the case though :P

I thought that people just had to stand in the same room facing each other for an hour while naked :P

Where I am, there are lots of cotyon trees and they shed white fluffy stuff every late spring. 

I thought that the clouds were shedding.

That people actually got killed playing laser tag. I was absolutely terrified the first time I played it, because I thought I was gonna get hurt or die.

10 hours ago, Deus Ex Infinity said:

The stupiest thing I ever believed was that your family is supposed to love and support you. It's the biggest lie and false prospect to relay on.

cant-trust.gif

In school my friend told me that family had a rule where it was a "you are forbidden from saying mean things to me" zone.

Not only is that completely false, but my parents and siblings were meaner than any school bullies!

Elizabeth Blossom/Jessica

One time, I believed that I could flirt.

Did not end well.

That I am anything more or less than what I am. Alternatively, that getting drunk to the point of passing out on the floor in my own vomit every single day was somehow okay. 

Archived