What's The Stupidest Thing You've Ever Believed?

Tabula Rasa

That Shah Rukh Khan sang all his songs by himself.

I used to think that everyone had to get married at some point.  It freaked me out.  

chairdesklamp
On 1/10/2019 at 6:27 PM, LostAndAce95 said:

My sisters told me that Mountain Dew was lizard pee, and I believed them for years.

My parents smoked when I was little and would say, "pass me that ashtray." And I always thought they were saying ASStray. So I avoided saying the word out loud because I thought it was a swear word.

It's the little things.

A long time ago, I had a neighbour, actually the property manager's husband, who used to come over because my place was a nice place to escape his abusive wife and stepson (nasty, nasty people, and he was really nice). We all smoked (who didn't then?), and he used to say 'ashtray' the same way because he couldn't make the 'sh' sound (accent).

My brother told me that how the air conditioning unit works is that it is filled with ice cubes that cool off the whole house when you turn it on. I found out he was lying about a week later when I asked my mother how the ice cubes keep from melting when the air conditioner is turned off and she just acted like she thought I'd gone crazy. I was 20 at the time.

There was also a myth that was prevalent when I was a teenager, that if you approached an undercover police officer and asked them whether or not they were a cop, by law, they had to tell you they were. So supposedly it was really easy to buy drugs without getting arrested. Just ask the dealer whether or not they're a cop and if they are, they'll tell you. I've heard that to some extent, the myth persists. I wonder who started it.

- That there was a god, tooth fairy, santa claus, and easter bunny

- That teachers should want to teach us without getting paid for it, just out of the love for us like parents do.

- That pee in the pool would turn the water purple

- That most adults were smart and moral

That all people were basically good inside.

Ace Christian

I guess a few more things that I used to believe were:

- I could use the Force (one time some wind moved a piece of paper that I was trying to move and I freaked out and got incredibly excited)

- Other people could hear your thoughts if their ears got close enough to your head

- Everyone secretly had the exact same thought processes as me, they just hid it because they wanted to be different (this persists somewhat to this day, even though I know that it's not reality. It just hit me a few weeks ago that people actually want to get married and I'm 19)

- When I first heard about sharks, I thought one would burst through the wall above my bed and eat me

- Dinosaurs still existed, but they were extremely rare and only interested in eating me or my dogs

- Sometimes I would dream something but think it was reality because I went to bed at the end of the dream (For example, I thought the zoo had this deep pit filled with alligators that you went over on a shaky rope bridge)

- I thought getting suspended meant that the principal would hang you by your toenails over a pit of crocodiles (No surprise that I never really got in trouble at school)

- I thought getting fired meant that your boss would shoot you out of a cannon to get rid of you

- The last thing, I thought that I had always existed, and there was no reality prior to me, it was all just a story.

Yeah, I was pretty weird.

Celyn: The Lutening
20 minutes ago, Ace Christian said:

people actually want to get married

Lies, surely.

That people mostly thought like I did and embraced a "live and let live" approach to dealing with others who are different than themselves.

RaptorQueen

Can't think of a lot of stupid things (though I know for a fact there are some) but I do remember thinking frogs were reptiles as a kid because I had no idea what an amphibian was.

SarahSomeone

My brothers friend once told me that marshmallows were made from animal bones. I believed him at first and then realized that marshmallows were soft so that meant that they couldn’t be made from animal bones. I later learned about gelatin, so I thought I was tricked then I realized it was the truth in the end 😅

I also thought that there was a high chance of being electrocuted if I washed and didn’t dry my hands then plugged something in. Every time i plugged something in with wet hands I would hope for the best...instead of... just drying my hands first...

I used to think your initials where the first 2 letters of your first name.

I used to get Walmart and Lowes confused. I think because they were both big stores with blue signs

6 minutes ago, DuskFire said:

I used to get Walmart and Lowes confused. I think because they were both big stores with blue signs

I still do that 😕 (but with different stores)

37 minutes ago, Quacks said:

I still do that 😕 (but with different stores)

Which ones?

Just now, DuskFire said:

Which ones?

B&m's and home bargains 

I don't even know why I get them mixed up tbh

2 minutes ago, Quacks said:

B&m's and home bargains 

I don't even know why I get them mixed up tbh

Do you ever get actors confused?

I used to get Tim Allen and Robin Williams confused. Also Harrison Ford and Dennis Quaid.

It's weird because I think they look similar but nobody else does.

5 minutes ago, DuskFire said:

Do you ever get actors confused?

I used to get Tim Allen and Robin Williams confused. Also Harrison Ford and Dennis Quaid.

It's weird because I think they look similar but nobody else does.

No but you could tell me an actors name and there's a 99.99% chance I wouldn't know who your talking about anyway

16 minutes ago, Quacks said:

No but you could tell me an actors name and there's a 99.99% chance I wouldn't know who your talking about anyway

Benedict Cumberbatch

13 minutes ago, DuskFire said:

Benedict Cumberbatch

Nope, no clue

23 minutes ago, Quacks said:

Nope, no clue

*Holds mouth agape in shock*

Lol

Celyn: The Lutening
10 hours ago, Quacks said:

I used to think your initials where the first 2 letters of your first name.

Mine are.

Archived