Censoring Asexuality?

greyisnotacolor

greyisnotacolor

So recently I posted in a public forum I am a regular at in a thread intended for 'Good news of the day!' and to keep things relatively short...I was censored for being open and genuinely happy about discovering my asexuality. I came into my office this morning and found a forum moderator had send me a message stating they had removed my post because it violated a term in their service agreement. Of course, I proceeded to search said service agreement and couldn't find anything I would have linked to the reason why my post was removed aside from a short paragraph that basically said that the moderators had final say in what could be posted to the site.

In part, I'm sort of letting out my initial shock of what's just happened into this post, but I'm also wondering...is that really ethical? Has this happened to anyone else before? I mean, OK. I get that asexuality is relatively new and it's not something everyone's comfortable with just yet. But the last 48 hours have been an incredible discovery period for me, and I wanted to express my happiness in a place I enjoyed spending my time.

I'm considering responding to the moderator and politely asking to see where in their terms and services I've gone wrong since I don't think I've said anything to offend anyone or posted something children shouldn't necessarily read. I'm just, very thoroughly confused at the moment and could use some advice.

1 minute ago, greyisnotacolor said:

I'm considering responding to the moderator and politely asking to see where in their terms and services I've gone wrong

That's the advice right there. It's the only way to find out what went wrong.

• Like 3
NickyTannock

Personally, I would contact the moderator.

I would also be prepared to report them to whoever is in charge if this turns out to be a case of Acephobia.

Definitely contact the moderator. If you violated the terms of service in some way, it's better to know how, and if the moderators are being acephobic, all the more reason to stand up for yourself. That is something that should not be tolerated.

Anime Pancake

Unfortunately there are forums and communities are controlled by selfish (and sometimes stupid) humans. An ace group kicked me out because the mods (and half the people in the group) were offended by my jokes even though they were not going against any rules. So... yeah. You gotta know your audience and (if you decide you want to stay in their group) you have to play by their (sometimes stupid) rules

Bronztrooper

I don't really have much faith in moderators because of my experience on the Bioware Social Network (if you've been on there, you know what it was like), but I would still contact the moderator and see what exactly happened.

As for mods punishing people 'just because', I've had a bit of experience with that as well (again, on the Bioware Social Network), so be prepared in case it is something as stupid as the moderator just being an intolerant douche.

Though, it's also possible that you got reported by someone who was acephobic and the mod decided to follow-up on it.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I don't know. Was there something in their TOS that said you couldn't mention anything related to sex or sexual orientation on the forum, even asexuality? Or, perhaps they mistook your celebratory post as being "elitist" about your sexuality?