Should I keep trying?

An_Ace_Of_Hearts

An_Ace_Of_Hearts

I thought my friends understood my sexual and romantic orientations, but now I'm starting to think otherwise.

The topic came up and one of my friends, we'll call her G, just didn't seem to get it. She gets that I don't want sex, but she doesn't get why asexuality is an identified thing. She said something along the lines of "Barely any people have it, so why is it a label? I just don't get why people would give it a name."

My other friend, D, was just uncomfortable with me trying to explain and cut the conversation short.

I don't think they understand how hard that hit me. I didn't even know what to say, and I'm not sure if I should keep trying to explain or just leave it alone.

NickyTannock

@An_Ace_Of_Hearts

I'd keep trying, personally.

It sounds like G is confusing Asexuality with Celibacy, and how a Sexual person doesn't always want sex.

To illustrate the difference to them, I'd ask them questions about their sexuality, e.g. how often they have sex, how often they think about it, how they'd feel never having it.
And then tell them what your answers to those questions would be.

The stark contrast should make it clear to G why Asexuality is a sexual orientation.

Anime Pancake

I can understand that its annoying that so many people these days make everything sound "unique" and special. Even the amount of romantic orientations on this site can be overwhelming (and annoying) to those of us that dont understand them, so what your friend says makes some sense.

You said that she said a lot of people dont have sex. Are you and your friends younger or adults? A lot of adults do have sex.

If people didnt have sex often then I agree with her that the word asexual wouldnt be necessary.

I dont think you should keep explaining it to them. Its an annoying and unnecessary topic to them for now so just talk about anything not that.

Maybe say that there's a label for it so that people who aren't interested in sex can know that there are others like them and that they aren't alone.

An_Ace_Of_Hearts

Thank you all for your replies, they were really helpful! To answer Anime Pancake's question, my friends and I are freshmen in high school.

I've decided to leave it be. I don't really want to press it any further because I don't want to cause any frustrations. They are good friends to me and I understand that everyone has their own opinions. If they decide to ask me more about it in the future, I'll definitely answer.

Thank you again ^^ 

• Like 2