Canon Asexual Characters

Strega_Asessuale

Strega_Asessuale

I saw the thread on Todd Chavez and decided to make this one.

What are some characters that are asexual in canon? As in, the creator explicitly states in the text/dialogue/what have you that the character is ace and/or does not feel sexual attraction? By "dialogue", I mean the character flat out says "I've just never been sexually attracted to anyone" or "I'm asexual" because the creator intended the character to be asexual. I'm not asking about headcanons; there's already a thread for that.

The only one I know besides Todd is Nancy from Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire.

NickyTannock

@Strega_Asessuale I've always thought Goku from Dragon Ball Z is Asexual, based on dialogue.

He promised to marry Chi Chi because he thought marriage was a cake and went through with it because he felt guilty after she explained.

He had two kids with her because she wanted them.

And he routinely spends years away from his family, doing nothing but training.

Strega_Asessuale
6 minutes ago, MichaelTannock said:

@Strega_Asessuale I've always thought Goku from Dragon Ball Z is Asexual, based on dialogue.

He promised to marry Chi Chi because he thought marriage was a cake and went through with it because he felt guilty after she explained.

He had two kids with her because she wanted them.

And he routinely spends years away from his family, doing nothing but training.

I must not have been clear, sorry; by "in dialogue" I mean the character says "I'm asexual" or "I don't experience sexual attraction". I'll edit my OP. Cool headcanon, though!

Browncoat10

Liv in Emmerdale has come out as ace I believe.

Strega_Asessuale
Anime Pancake

I dont think any characters just say "Im asexual" a lot of characters were made before asexuality was even talked about.

There's an asexual vampire named Raphael in some TV show that I don't remember the name of. Mortal instruments? Shadow hunters? It was called something like that.

Mhhm, I don't know many character in mainstream media that outright say "I'm ace", just instances where the creator has either confirmed it in an aside or it's simply heavily interpreted that way as a headcanon which is unfortunate :(

So kudos to @Strega_Asessuale for posting all those links, should be fun to check out!

Strega_Asessuale
42 minutes ago, xasteriia said:

Mhhm, I don't know many character in mainstream media that outright say "I'm ace", just instances where the creator has either confirmed it in an aside or it's simply heavily interpreted that way as a headcanon which is unfortunate :(

So kudos to @Strega_Asessuale for posting all those links, should be fun to check out!

@fuzzipueo is the most excellent person who posted the links, so I can't take credit for that :)

Woops, yeah — was looking at wrong post! 😅

PirateGirl6423

I've believed for a long time that Sheldon Cooper from "The Big Bang Theory" is ace. He doesn't express sexual attraction and only sleeps with his romantic partner in order to please her. While he finds he enjoys it, it is not something he really craves (he only sleeps with her on her birthday and finds doing science formulas with her more riveting).
Seriously, I'm waiting for the creators to confirm it.
My other theory is Jughead from the Archie comics. He loves food a whole lot more than girls (I call him "foodromantic"). He does occasionally fall in love so I wouldn't say he's aro. Whenever that "Girls Against Jughead" club tries to get him to date one of them because he's the only guy not actively seeking girls, I actually feel like crying because of how relatable Jughead's position is. I don't know what the comic writers think but I can DEFINITELY say the Jughead from "Riverdale" is NOT the same Jughead from the comics (so why do I still enjoy watching the show?).

But it really seems most "asexuality" in mainstream media is implied. I don't think any character's really been "outed."

Didn't Mark Waid's Archie comics explicitly state that Jughead was asexual? I recall seeing a page uploaded to the internet where Jughead was having a conversation with another character about it.

While I was writing this, I googled it and it's on the TV Tropes page, so there ya go. 

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicBook/ArchieComics2015

CaptainMarvel
2 hours ago, Reset said:

Jughead was having a conversation with another character about it.

jughead-ace.jpg?w=630&h=661&q=75 Here it is

@CaptainMarvel Thanks for finding it! I knew it was out there somewhere, and thank you for helping me to illustrate my point in the conversation.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a really good web comic that just recently ended called Supernormal Step. The main character, Fiona, is a aro ace.

19 minutes ago, MichaelTannock said:

@AceArtist Welcome to AVEN!

10.jpg

Oh, thank you!

This isn’t the best in terms of representation since he’s not human (he’s a dragon) but Ruth from The Dragonriders of Pern is canonically ace, although Anne McCaffrey never used the word.

StarButterfly

I only know of three books I've ever read where the characters are confirmed aces: Every Heart A Doorway, Bittersweet Symphony and Guardian of the Dead. I only remember Bittersweet Symphony actually having the character state verbally that she was asexual while trying to explain that she wasn't celibate, and she ends up in love with her boss at work, but they don't have a sexual relationship, just a platonic one. It was written by an asexual author. I also remember Jughead from the Archie comics being an asexual and there were characters who discussed it briefly.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25526296-every-heart-a-doorway

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39780161-bittersweet-symphony

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6505358-guardian-of-the-dead

Browncoat10

It's not out yet so I dunno if it's canon, but there's a British comedy coming out. I read this article. "Asexual innocent." Ugh. Sounds like another ace stereotype.

14 hours ago, Browncoat10 said:

It's not out yet so I dunno if it's canon, but there's a British comedy coming out. I read this article. "Asexual innocent." Ugh. Sounds like another ace stereotype.

Oof, yeah it's looking like that.

It seems most ace representation in books comes from ace/gray authors. I recently read Tash Hearts Tolstoy, a YA novel where the MC is an out and struggling ace.

To some degree the paucity of representation could be because of how much explanation asexuality requires. To show two men or women kissing is simple (and rare even so), but asexuality can’t be inferred from context.

Browncoat10
3 hours ago, Anniety said:

asexuality can’t be inferred from context.

I think it can though. You just gotta do it right. Think of the portrayal of Todd from BoJack even before the word "asexual" was mentioned. Even before he knew he was ace. 

Strega_Asessuale
On 6/20/2018 at 6:00 PM, StarButterfly said:

I only know of three books I've ever read where the characters are confirmed aces: Every Heart A Doorway, Bittersweet Symphony and Guardian of the Dead. I only remember Bittersweet Symphony actually having the character state verbally that she was asexual while trying to explain that she wasn't celibate, and she ends up in love with her boss at work, but they don't have a sexual relationship, just a platonic one. It was written by an asexual author. I also remember Jughead from the Archie comics being an asexual and there were characters who discussed it briefly.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25526296-every-heart-a-doorway

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39780161-bittersweet-symphony

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6505358-guardian-of-the-dead

Nancy does say she's ace in Every Heart a Doorway! I love that book. The author writes really good representation in general.

Strega_Asessuale

A librarian friend of mine also just recommended a book called Radio Silence to me because it has an ace main character. Now I'm stoked to read it.

2 minutes ago, Browncoat10 said:

I think it can though. You just gotta do it right. Think of the portrayal of Todd from BoJack even before the word "asexual" was mentioned. Even before he knew he was ace. 

You're right, of course. ^.^ I was more thinking of OP's request that the representation be explicitly stated.

(Oh, jeez, I've had Radio Silence on my to-read list for ages, but my local library is a no-go. I've heard it's wonderful!)

Strega_Asessuale
On 6/25/2018 at 12:08 PM, Anniety said:

You're right, of course. ^.^ I was more thinking of OP's request that the representation be explicitly stated.

(Oh, jeez, I've had Radio Silence on my to-read list for ages, but my local library is a no-go. I've heard it's wonderful!)

Can you get it through inter-library loan? My local library is tiny, and I often have to ILL queer books.

Archived