Do you ship?

yonah

Do you ship fictional characters?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. In general, do you ship fictional characters?

• I ship characters romantically and sexually
    • I ship characters romantically but not sexually
    • I ship characters sexually but not romantically
    • I ship characters either romantically or sexually but not both
    • I only ship characters platonically
    • I don't ship characters

This poll is closed to new votes

I was listening to the ace podcast Sounds Fake, But Ok and they had an episode on shipping so I got to wondering. Personally, I will ship characters platonically or romantically, but never sexually. 

I ship very few characters. Usually a trend I noticed with characters that I ship is generally in whatever show/media they are in there is only platonic encounters. Usually they are there to emotionally support or help the other person out. There never is any kissing/sex scenes either with any of the characters that I ship. Usually when I ship them I just imagine them hugging, holding hands, MAYBE kissing but it never goes to making out. Also I never go hard core shipping where I obsess over the characters it's more like plz just hug each other and I will be satisfied. 

Ill state one ship I have as an example is Zelda and Link (especially botw versions) 

RoseGoesToYale

I ship characters romantically and platonically. Though I kind of hate how "ship" is associated only with romantic-sexual pairings.

I propose some more terms:

Ship- romantic/sexual pairing

Yacht- sexual only pairing

Boat- romantic only pairing

Gondola- QPR pairing

Canoe- platonic pairing

E.g. I canoe William Murdoch and George Crabtree

FerlynnGoldbeard

I tend to ship characters either platonically or romantically. If I'm reading something and it's a good story, and there just happens to be sexual content, then I roll with it, but I don't seek out specifically sexual content. 

59 minutes ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

I ship characters romantically and platonically. Though I kind of hate how "ship" is associated only with romantic-sexual pairings.

Gondola- QPR pairing

Canoe- platonic pairing

This is beautiful and I wholly support it.

RJtheRobot

Generally when I romantically ship characters who aren't ace (or who I don't headcanon as ace) I'll assume that there is or would be sex involved in their relationship, but I don't really think about that aspect of the relationship unless it comes up in fan fiction for instance. Sexual tension/chemistry is never the grounds for any of my ships, I'm way more into the emotional connections that characters develop.

I also get super into qpr and platonic ships in pretty much the same way I will for romantic ones, if not more.

I don't ship real people. I ship some characters played by real people but mostly I'm a child who ships cartoon characters together, like from My Little Pony and Ever After High.  

hold up, there's an ace podcast??? holy shit imma check it out right away that sounds awesome.

to answer your question i've never really understood shipping lol, neither romantically or sexually. idk it seems unnecessary to me, and like it takes away from the meaning of the story sometimes ... not romance since that can serve a purpose in fiction but the idea that two characters NEED to end up together and "omg how could u break up my otp!!" idk

I must say, I'd never even heard of shipping fictional characters before I got involved with online asexual communities. People are asking, "do you ship?", and I'm thinking they're talking about boats.

Eh, since I'm not really part of any fandoms, I don't really ship anyone. When reading something, I might think "I hope these characters end up together", but I don't actively participate in shipping.

sorry-for-my-english

I shipped the Penguin and the Riddler from Gotham, and then they made the Penguin have feelings for Riddler hahahaha

• 3 weeks later...
Fluffy Femme Guy

Yes, technically. But I don't draw fanart or write fanfic.
It's more like 'I think character A and B would make a good couple because [list-of-reasons-here]' and that's about it.

Does this even count?

I do enjoy looking up fanart of certain ships though.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually ship in a "when person A comes home after a long or eventful day, the person they would most want to see and talk to is person B" kind of way, if that makes sense. Then fanfics may fuel my ships to be more sexual, usually for comedic moments. Just sometimes I see fictional characters that are such good friends and I wonder how they could ever stand to be apart.

I ship characters romantically and platonically.

Oh gosh yes. I'm a hopeless romantic who gobbles up cute love stories like candy

I'm all about the love, the sex doesn't really matter to me, and I never ship against a character's orientation. But I just can't help rooting for certain couples to get together and absolutely fangirling if/when it happens.

Honestly it's kind of embarrassing lol

Typically, no. (I don't consider friendships/platonic relationships "ships"). I love friendship and family stories. I don't read or write romance or sex of any kind in any fandom with any characters -

EXCEPT

Oh my god, do I have such a thing for Darc/Lilia (Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits). OH. MY. GOD. Yeah, yeah I ship them hard. They fucking belong together, man. I fucking LOVE them. They are the only ship - and I mean the ONLY one - that I care about, the only ship I'll read, the only ship I'll write, and honestly, the only pairing I have ever had any real interest in writing an erotic scene with. And for the most part, it's canon, what with all the direct references in the game, aside from Darc being too chickenshit to admit how he feels to her face. Pretty much everyone knows it except her. 😛 

They are such a rarepair too, mainly because the game is so obscure, but also because most authors who write Arc the Lad FF (not many) tend to ship Darc with someone...uh...more or less inappropriate. But oh my god, I could rave about them nonstop for days - DAYS, I'm telling you. Right now I'm trying to write a slowburn fic with them, because as it stands, no one has written one yet, but it's so daunting. I'm afraid I just don't have the skill or stamina to do them justice.

Okay, shutting up now, because I know that no one here has even heard about this game. But before I go, sharing a most beautiful fan art of them, because...oh they're just so beautiful and adorable together. (Spoilered for mildly suggestive theme.)

Spoiler

If only it was in color! 😍

Image result for darc/lilia

The only shipping I approve is free shipping on my favorite online stores.

I'm not a huge fan of romance stuff in fiction in the first place so I'm not much into shipping either. Sometimes I wonder how certain characters would work together as friends but that's usually that. However, there have been ships that I've liked because of conversations with a friend before but since we haven't talked anymore, I haven't actively thought about shipping.

2 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

The only shipping I approve is free shipping on my favorite online stores.

Oh I agree! :D

1320452774001.png

I sort of... anti ship? Sometimes if I'm reading a book and there's awesome characters I mentally hope and wish for them to stay single.

Probably because too many romantic subplots distract from the story

LadyWallflower
On 5/15/2018 at 12:59 PM, RoseGoesToYale said:

Gondola- QPR pairing

Canoe- platonic pairing

I support your canoe of William Murdoch and George Crabtree. It's very cute!!!

Peanutrolls

I don't ship many things, I only ship around 2-3 couples I ship them romantically but I honestly don't care if it's sexual or not.

I tend to ship characters, but I had never realised I did it only romantically until now. I ship them because of their chemistry, interactions, feelings and all that, but I never thought "oh, they gonna have sex now", it usually all ends with a sweet kiss (no tongue). In fact when someone says something about sex I get a "oh, why did you have to say a thing?" feeling. It also happens IRL.

Should have realised it before. Would have been a great clue to discover I was Ace.

Very rarely will I ship something, but when I do it's either platonically or romantically (though I guess platonic ships don't really count?? friendships are always cool). There's gotta be chemistry and in canon implications that isn't forced for me to care to ship two characters. I dunno I just really value strong and developed relationships. I do also like fanart and fanfiction but I prefer them not to have any sexual content in them. It takes me out of it. Over the past decade I think I've only ever had, at most, 2-3 ships. Also @yonah that sounds like an interesting podcast. I'll be sure to check it out.

purpleandgreylife

@yonah

I ship characters romantically, sexually and platonically. There are many shows that I have watched where I feel like one of the main "couples" has a stronger platonic/friend chemistry than the romantic or sexual one they are supposed  to have on the show. Conversely, I've seen characters that are not together, that I feel would make a much better romantic couple, because of the strength of their current, semi-platonic relationship (i.e. Cory and Shawn from Boy Meets World).

I also ship characters polyamorously wth a mix of attractions. For instance, I've seen shows where three people have a strong chemistry and you can infer from subtext that they all want to be together forever. however, I tend to interpret it as, one person in a QPR with the other two people, who are in a romantic and somewhat sexual relationship with each other (the characters specifically that I am thinking of for this example seem asexual, grey-sexual and sexual, so sexual contact and expression would have to be negotiated, hence the "somewhat sexual" part of the relationship).

AquaBreezy

Honestly, when I first started watching adult tv with implied sex, I was very embarrassed and confused (shows like Friends were how I first realized most people desired sexual relationships), but now I'm used to it. I tend to follow suit and will typically ship sexual characters sexually, though their friendship/partnership is what I care most about. If the characters are presented as ace or are in a kids show or whatever, I'll many ship platonic or romantic.

Overall I just get tired of waiting to see what will happen or disagree with it and like making my own story

Anthracite_Impreza

I ship Stucky. Hard. Ironically only romantically, because my sex repulsed ace brain can't deal with sexy times ;)

helana12_03

I do ship characters. Whether I ship them sexually or only romantically really depends. If the characters are sexually attracted to each other and I think their sexual relationship could make things more interesting between them I ship them sexually. Otherwise the sexual part is just part of the ship and I don't generally care if they're sleeping together or not. 

Archived