Asexual Drama Project

SpaceEll

Hi!

I'm really excited, because my best friend and I are performing a drama piece in a performing arts festival at my school, especially because we've decided to do it around a girl coming out as asexual to her best friend! The best friend's reaction is not positive (we haven't decided whether we're going to end up with the best friend accepting it or not). 

One reason I'm really excited about doing this is because it will, hopefully, raise awareness of asexuality in our school's community. 

The synopsis I've come up with is: "Asexuality is known as 'the invisible sexual orientation'. People tend to react curiously, disbelievingly, or dismissively towards it. How will a girl's best friend react when she comes out as asexual?" It's not great, I know, but it's a work in progress.

As I've never had a negative response from the five people I have come out to, the only info I have on this is from things I've read, so, if you're comfortable, I'd appreciate any kind of stories or... anything that you have and are willing to share. 😊

Thanks,

Ell

@SpaceEll Hey, how exciting! That's really cool and hope everything goes well!

Well, the first response I received was a negative one actually. Use-to-be friend believed 'Ace' is a kind of excuse and only exist on the internet but not in real life. He also said 'OK, I see. So you will never understand family and stuff like that', which made me laugh. People have different understandings and 'family' itself embrace diverse forms and relationships. Also 'It was shocking to meet a person belong to only 1% of population'. I took itvery  seriously at first, but then I realised there are potentially more of us and other people whom I came out to pointed out that 'Wow actually there are many - no wonder if you bump into Ace at university sometimes'. Yeah, exactly!

After all I had a friendship break up but now I'm appreciating for the conversation since it strengthed my sense of identity and aslo I could finish this already-toxic friendship. But...for the performance, I hope the plot ends with a sort of positive note!

Wish you the very best : )

Archived