Religion Census

Artsy Anvil

Religion Census  

234 members have voted

1. 1. What is your religious affiliation?

• Christian
    • Catholic
    • Jehovah Witness
    • Jewish
    • Mormon
    • Buddhist
    • Hindu
    • Muslim
    • Pagan
    • Protestant
    • Satanist/Luciferian
    • Atheist/Agnostic
    • Igtheist/Ignostic
    • Egyptian Mythology
    • Greek Mythology
    • Roman Mythology
    • Norse Mythology
    • Indigenous Beliefs
    • Aboriginal Beliefs
    • Other
  2. 2. Have you ever been discriminated based on your religious beliefs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Prefer Not To Answer
  3. 3. Have you ever had to debate and defend your religious beliefs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Prefer Not To Answer
  4. 4. Have you ever thought about converting to a different religion?

• Yes
    • No
    • Prefer Not To Answer
  5. 5. Have you ever actually converted to a different religion?

• Yes
    • No
    • Prefer Not To Answer
  6. 6. Have you ever lost friends and family due to your religious beliefs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Prefer Not To Answer
  7. 7. Have you ever been fired from a job because of your religious beliefs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Never Had A Job
    • Prefer Not To Answer
  8. 8. Have you ever felt ashamed about your religious beliefs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Prefer Not To Answer
  9. 9. Have you ever be called a stereotype because of your religious beliefs?

• Yes
    • No
    • I Dont Think So
    • Prefer Not To Answer
  10. 10. Have people ever tried converting you to a different religion?

• Yes
    • No
    • Prefer Not To Answer

This poll is closed to new votes

My only experience of people trying to convert me is when Jehovah’s Witnesses and Mormons have come knocking on my door, which is probably what most people will have experienced. (A British guy I once discussed this with remarked to me “what, you have those people in France as well?” Err- yes, we most certainly do!)

I don’t really have any time for Jehovah’s Witnesses as I find them quite pushy, fundamentalist and just irritating, but in the case of Mormons, although I don’t subscribe to their beliefs or agree with them about many things, the ones that have spoken to me have always been very polite and likeable, and I find myself having a pretty high level of respect for them. The last Mormons I encountered were a couple of young Californian guys, and they were really nice, spoke excellent French and I enjoyed the conversation I had with them.

I'm very weird when it comes to religion. You'll see when I answer fully.

1. I gave 5 answers. I was raised Jewish and Protestant since my parents are different religions. I also said agnostic because that's kind of what I am, and Pagan because I feel like I'm closer to some kind of Pagan. Finally, I said other because just look at this complicated answer.

2. Yeah... I was briefly bullied because I'm Jewish. I was told my family should have died in the holocaust. But, my principal was the maddest I've ever seen and they got into so much trouble.

3. Not really.

4. I have thought about converting because I'm definitely not Jewish or Protestant even though that's how I was raised.

5. Never actually converted.

6. I almost lost a friend because he's pretty religious, but we stayed friends for a while until we stopped for different reasons.

7. Never fired. But I just started my first job a few weeks ago.

8. I'm not really ashamed, but I just try to avoid talking about it.

9. I'm pretty sure I've been called a stereotype, but I can't think of an example right now.

10. Just by a couple Jehovah's Witnesses.

I'm Catholic, though I'm considering converting to Baptist. Btw, I'm not sure if you did this on purpose or not, but Catholic is a denomination of Christianity. So Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholic.

That said my religion is fairly popular so I've never been discriminated against because of it. I did have to "defend" my beliefs a few times, but probably not the way you think. A lot of people, understandably, have poor views of Catholicism and think that it's an anti-gay organization. I actually try to prove why the Bible does not say anything against homosexuality, and that our beliefs should not include that homosexuality is sinful. Then I also practice tolerance, love, and acceptance, not only because of my religion but because I like to be a decent human being...

My family raised me Catholic so I have not lost any. I am never ashamed of my religion, I am just ashamed of the people who abuse it or use it as a microphone for their toxic opinions. But I am not ashamed of my faith.

I don't think I've ever been called a stereotype because of my religion.

And again, I'm thinking about becoming a Baptist.

• 5 months later...

People constantly try to convert me back to Christianity(I was raised Christian), but I just find the story a bit out there(no offence to any Christians, I'm not trying to insult), and I have just never felt Jesus in my heart as much as I tried. Also, I just don't like the way Christianity is structured. Either believe in God or go to hell, don't question things because it offends God. I just don't think that's the best mindset. If I were to ever believe in God again, I would believe he'd be more forgiving and want to encourage critical thinking. I mean, if he's real, he must have given us these big ol' brains for a reason, right? He wouldn't want us to just follow something blindly without questioning at all

I really don't mean to insult any Christians out there. I am just explaining why I didn't like being a Christian. If the story makes sense to you and you are happy, I am happy for you. I, myself, just won't ever be Christian again probably. 

Sometimes agnostic, sometimes deist. Raised within non-denomonational and Protestant (and Lutheran specifically) churches, stopped believing in Christ at around 11 years old. I have debated with family, friends, aquaintances, and strangers on occasion, but I fortunately haven't lost anyone close due to disagreements over religion.

I have considered converting to Islam and Buddhism, Buddhism especially because Buddha is not a god in the same way the Christian God is. I would like to be an atheist but I have a lot of stuff to work out before I could be, lol.

1.Christian-ish and Agnostic-ish, clicked other because it's complicated.

2.I don't think so

3.Debate you say?🧐 I have started so many religious debates so of course I have!

4.Kind of

5.No, but I changed my beliefs so much one might consider it as converting

6.Yes, although in all honesty it was not the only factor. My use of sarcasm and my test for friends of "if you cannot stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" really stumbled him up, I couldn't stand his religious viewpoint as he could not tolerate mine nor my sarcasm.

7.No

8.Kind of

9.Yes

10.My Grandparents tried, so did the Jehovah Witnesses, but I started acting like I only understood German when they approached me. If anyone reading this was a Jehovah Witness missionary in Maryland a year ago and found someone at college who only seemed to understand German, now you know who that was, and yes he was faking it.

I am surprised by the amount of folks who chose other.  I am an omnist, so I was glad that I didn't have to choose something else.

I'm Agnostic, but I took a long and winding path to get there. I was raised Roman Catholic, realized I didn't care about church in the military, thought briefly that I might be Gnostic, was converted to Baptist for a time, then right after I was baptized, I realized I didn't really believe any of it, left the church and became an atheist. Now I'm more open to the possibility of something that we would consider a divine being, but not like how any religions I know of look at it - something more like Q from Star Trek, if anything.

I have had people tell me I'm going to hell because I don't believe their particular flavor of Christianity, to the point where people have shouted and thrown things at me. My Dad completely stopped talking to me until right before he died because I told him I wasn't Catholic anymore. I've never felt ashamed about anything that I believed, religious or otherwise.

1 hour ago, Mr. Pie said:

I am surprised by the amount of folks who chose other.  I am an omnist, so I was glad that I didn't have to choose something else.

One of those "other" here. 🙂

I identify as a nondenominational panentheist (not Christian; raised as RomCath, but left the Church ca. 15 years ago after already feeling estranged from it for another decade before that) and didn't join any other formalized community, despite remaining strongly spiritual).

According to this nifty quiz, if I were about to choose a community, I'd fit in best with "New Thought" (never heard of that before), and almost as well with Christian Science (that surprised me) and Unitarian Universalism (that didn't surprise me at all, UU sounds pretty cool).

2 hours ago, Mysticus Insanus said:

One of those "other" here. 🙂

I identify as a nondenominational panentheist (not Christian; raised as RomCath, but left the Church ca. 15 years ago after already feeling estranged from it for another decade before that) and didn't join any other formalized community, despite remaining strongly spiritual).

According to this nifty quiz, if I were about to choose a community, I'd fit in best with "New Thought" (never heard of that before), and almost as well with Christian Science (that surprised me) and Unitarian Universalism (that didn't surprise me at all, UU sounds pretty cool).

I just did it, my top two were Unitarian universalist and secular humanist

I classify as atheist but I did attempt to get into Buddhism before. 

And just like everything else, I will hide it.

I am a practicing Catholic although I don't know if I would describe myself as a 'good Catholic' if that makes any sense.  I was raised in an apocalyptic  Protestant fundamentalist atmosphere but went agnostic for a while after I left. Did a lot of research and reading before going back into the fold.  I am friends with people with varied belief systems in real life and we get along pretty well.  Husband is a non-denom Christian, brother is still a Baptist, we have a few agnostics in the family and one I'm not sure what she is. Some kind of Celtic mystic.  When we get together we never talk about religion.

I should mention that includes my bisexual niece and her longtime same-sex partner, another niece who is poly current boyfriend is trans.  We're just really really relaxed about things.  We believe in keeping the doors to all family members open and not shutting anyone out.

I haven't come out to any of them, but looking over that list, I'm wondering why not!

1. What is your religious affiliation?
Other - Apatheist for years now leaning to Taoism

4. Have you ever thought about converting to a different religion?
Yes

5. Have you ever actually converted to a different religion?
Yes, from growing up Southern Baptist to Apatheist and now leaning towards Taoism (neither Apatheist nor Taoist are on the poll)

6. Have you ever lost friends and family due to your religious beliefs?
Yes, when I stopped being christian everyone hated me

8. Have you ever felt ashamed about your religious beliefs?
no, but I am now ashamed of my beliefs growing up

10. Have people ever tried converting you to a different religion?
All the freaking time

I'm not very open on my theology. Not because I think it may cause an upraor, but because its a little silly. I believe in a sort of life force. We share atoms and gases with the stars and planets. We are made from the universe. We are the universe, the universe is us, so a portion of the universe is sentient. As far as all beliefs go, I don't believe there is a wrong answer, so long as your religion isn't based on harm or hate. 

It's a riddle:

You travel down a road when it splits in multiple roads, each road has a sign that points to where you need to go. 

Which road is lying, which road is the right path?

• 1 month later...
Chloe O'Leary
On 12/11/2018 at 12:01 AM, iff said:

I just did it, my top two were Unitarian universalist and secular humanist

Same with me. Getting secular humanist 1st didn't surprise me, but I had to look up Unitarian Universalism. I must admit, it seems pretty interesting.

• 3 months later...

@Artsy Anvil

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived