Jump to content
Salmiakki

What exactly is dark gray?

Recommended Posts

Salmiakki

I know what gray sexuality is but I've often seen people talk about being dark gray. What does that mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moony's Boy Child

I think it's probably because some gray-sexuals experience sexual attraction even less than others.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CBC

Nothing of any importance. Generally it seems to imply that someone has a lower interest in sex than whatever they perceive to be a normal level of interest for other people who identify as grey-a.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
daveb

One of the fifty (or more) shades of gray?

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CBC

Probably about 200 shades by now, Dave. :P 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salmiakki

Ok, thanks for clarifying

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RK800

I thought this was gonna be about the color and I was so confused.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
verymelancholic

For me, dark grey is the midpoint between ace and (normal) grey, where it also tends to blend a bit with demisexuality. Attraction outside of a close relationshipis also very rare and the most attraction I do get is aesthetic or sensual, the most. It can also be used to describe a sex-positive repulsed asexual.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
roland.o

You see that AVEN triangle at the top left of the forum pages? The white side at the top represents the spectrum of sexuality, from hetero- to homosexual (I guess). The black point at the bottom is asexuality. The gray area is inbetween. Dark gray means in the gray area, very close to asexuality.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Evren

f0b5f557-0c04-4538-802c-ac6808448b6b.jpg

 

I'm Sorry I couldn't help myself :P

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salmiakki

Now it makes more sense, thanks

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StormySky

I feel like it'd be "I've had less instances of sexual attraction than I can count on my fingers"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scarletlatitude
On 5/10/2018 at 12:08 PM, daveb said:

One of the fifty (or more) shades of gray?

:lol::lol:

 

Makes sense that it would be so gray that it's almost black (i.e. asexual). So close to ace but not ace. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ixi
20 hours ago, scarletlatitude said:

:lol::lol:

 

Makes sense that it would be so gray that it's almost black (i.e. asexual). So close to ace but not ace. 

I think if you are so gray that you are almost black it's easier to call yourself just asexual. Or "asexual with exceptions". 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nowhere Girl
11 hours ago, ixi said:

Or "asexual with exceptions". 

I like the sound of it. If having a libido and fantasies, but still being completely averse to the idea of personally having sex counts as "exceptions", I could call myself that. But I still thing that just "asexual" is easier, also in conveying the simple idea that I won't have sex - my "exceptions" aren't about actually desiring sex with anyone.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ms. Carolynne

As others have stated, it's gray-sexual but rather close to asexual; a very negligible amount of sexuality.

 

I just say I'm asexual, unless my negligible sexuality is relevant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandra B
On 5/10/2018 at 5:50 PM, verymelancholic said:

For me, dark grey is the midpoint between ace and (normal) grey, where it also tends to blend a bit with demisexuality. Attraction outside of a close relationshipis also very rare and the most attraction I do get is aesthetic or sensual, the most. It can also be used to describe a sex-positive repulsed asexual.

Hi, I am trying to understand this 'dark grey' more too, as to my logical mind, if someone is dark grey - surely they would be MORE grey asexual and CLOSER to demisexual - rather than closer to asexual since they are darker, which means a stronger shade of grey - not less, and not closer to asexuality?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ixi
On 8/18/2019 at 9:07 PM, Sandra B said:

Hi, I am trying to understand this 'dark grey' more too, as to my logical mind, if someone is dark grey - surely they would be MORE grey asexual and CLOSER to demisexual - rather than closer to asexual since they are darker, which means a stronger shade of grey - not less, and not closer to asexuality?

 

To me dark grey means veeery close to asexual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SithGrinch

Who the heck cares? You're grey or you're ace. This "dark grey" thing just seems to be a desperate attempt to feel special compared to other grey-sexuals by saying "But I'm less sexual than even you!"

Like being a gold star lesbian, my gods. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandra B
On 9/11/2019 at 9:05 PM, ixi said:

 

To me dark grey means veeery close to asexual.

Thanks for replying. I still can't wrap my head around this logically and the more grey, the more sexual - which is the opposite of what everyone is defining it as. Darker means more of, lighter means less of, to my logical mind. Think it will take me a while to get used to this. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
questdrivencollie
On 9/26/2019 at 8:31 PM, Sandra B said:

Thanks for replying. I still can't wrap my head around this logically and the more grey, the more sexual - which is the opposite of what everyone is defining it as. Darker means more of, lighter means less of, to my logical mind. Think it will take me a while to get used to this. 

Tis because the powers that be chose black to signify pure asexuality, and white to signify sexuality--grey being the "somewhere-in-between". Why they did it that way, I don't know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandra B
On 10/3/2019 at 2:10 AM, questdrivencollie said:

Tis because the powers that be chose black to signify pure asexuality, and white to signify sexuality--grey being the "somewhere-in-between". Why they did it that way, I don't know.

Well yeah, I have no idea why they did it that way, because it makes no sense to me and no sense from my learning either. I studied media studies A Level and they always refer to the white as the more sweet, innocent and pure - non-sexual type of person, and the black - film-noir, as the more raunchy, sexual type of person! So in a film for example, the innocent character is wearing a white dress, the femme fatale is wearing all black and I was to look out for that in all the other films I watch, as symbolism.

 

Thanks for replying and letting me know though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...