Telecaster68

BBC Five Live phone in on people not interested in sex NOW!

Telecaster68

Not asexuality per se but that kind of area... 

paperbackreader

....????

Telecaster68

What do you mean '....????'?

Just thought it might be of interest.

paperbackreader

I initially read the title as "If you're not interested in having sex right at this particular moment in time, phone in" (as in, right at this very second)

To which I thought most people who are interested in phoning in won't be also wanting to have sex right at this moment, and those who have those 2 needs at the same time (having sex and wanting to phone in) would not be allowed to get live on air... :ph34r:

Having thought about it a bit more, maybe you meant that they were having a call in segment  "If you're not currently interested in having sex in this period of your life, phone in" 

My bad!:D

Baam
Just now, paperbackreader said:

I initially read the title as "If you're not interested in having sex right at this particular moment in time, phone in" (as in, right at this very second)

that'd be an interesting phone line to try and manage..

• Like 1

Telecaster68
Just now, paperbackreader said:

To which I thought most people who are interested in phoning in won't be also wanting to have sex right at this moment, and those who have those 2 needs at the same time (having sex and wanting to phone in) would not be allowed to get live on air... :ph34r:

Having thought about it a bit more, maybe you meant that they were having a call in segment  "If you're not currently interested in having sex in this period of your life, phone in" 

My bad!:D

I just meant the phone-in was NOW...

• Like 3

gaogao

XD I wish I wasn't at work so I could phone in or listen, but alas.

Whaley

What program and around what time stamp was it? It will be on iplayer. 

Telecaster68

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b19jyn

Initially, much of the first half hour, then coming back back to it for the last hour. (I haven't listened to the last hour yet).

ETA: actually they come back to it at about 1hr 37m on the iPlayer version. Nothing in the last half hour, but it's an interview with someone about the differences between how men and women experience sexual attraction.

CBC
6 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

I just meant the phone-in was NOW...

Gee, if I was in the U.K. and I'd seen this in time, I would've called in since I wasn't actively wanting to have sex at the very moment I saw this thread. :P

In all seriousness though, sounds interesting. A lot of the time I want to listen to/watch BBC stuff, I have to fiddle around with VPNs or proxies since I'm in Canada, but this appears to be listenable. I'll give it a go with my morning coffee here (shhh, let's just pretend it's still morning... my sleep is a mess haha).

• Like 1

Telecaster68

I have Radio Four on all the time CBC. 

You may touch the hem of my garment if you wish.

• Like 1

CBC

Haha! Sounds like me and CBC Radio One. It's where my username comes from, after all. -_- 

Telecaster68

More people should appreciate the awesomeness of proper grown up speech radio, rather than the shouty loons of US talk radio.

• Like 3

CBC

They really should. I started listening to CBC One pretty obsessively in my late teens, and I find public radio is probably my favourite medium for news and information and documentaries. Much prefer it to television, and it's so much less scattered than the internet. It engages me in a way other media don't. Journalism/public radio was my once-upon-a-time career goal thanks to my love of the CBC, before life took a bit of a different turn.

I don't understand the shouty American-style stuff at all. NPR seems to be decent at least.

• Like 2

Telecaster68

Radio Four is like a less pompous, better funded version of NPR. It's the main reason I know so much random shit.

CBC

Oh yeah, I always attributed the majority of my general knowledge to the CBC rather than school hahaha. It's true though, it really is. For a number of fairly lonely years in my late teens, I considered the radio a friend in many ways. It was definitely my connection to the wider world, as I had no home internet at the time.

I actually have the BBC iPlayer Radio app on my phone. I set up a U.K. iTunes account (fake U.K.-based address and all) just to download it. I mostly use it to listen to Radio Ulster (I have a complicated and slightly obsessive connection to Northern Ireland). I'll have to give Radio Four a go; "less pompous" than NPR is appealing.

Telecaster68

Also, I suspect you might love the Kermode and Mayo Wittertainment podcast. It's nominally film reviews (and they're very good) but the real attraction is too middle aged straight men bickering like an old married couple.

• Like 1

CBC

Oh, I adore people bickering. :ph34r:

If anyone needs me, I'll be spending my rainy Thursday afternoon nerding out here.

CBC

Okay I'm listening to the show with the sex thing now, and I'm really interested in the bit where they're joking about making book titles more politically correct hahaha. I'm gonna be mentally compiling a list of new and improved titles here now. :D 

CBC

Thanks for posting this, Tele. Just finishing it up here. It's a really interesting listen... probably I got more out of it than most asexual folks would, tbh. I relate to that guy's story a fair amount actually, although I wasn't 37 before I had my first relationship (37 is still four years in the future for me). I was older than the majority of my peers, though. I have that same sense of loss that he had in relation to my youth. Experiences I missed out on. Although for me it extended far beyond romantic/sexual relationships, to things like education, friendships, jobs... basically just most normal life experiences and milestones. The man in the interview spoke of depression and the affect it had, and I can vouch for that for sure. I'm glad it didn't completely mess up all areas of his life. My mental shit includes depression, but isn't limited to that, and the toll it's taken is immense. Life essentially stopped for me in my mid-late teens, and it's still quite a struggle. I'd be lying if I said I didn't experience a lot of bitterness and hurt, although at least as I've gotten older and into my 30s here, I've become a lot less concerned with dwelling on that (which is useless) and more with looking for ways to make the rest of my time here more fulfilling than my past. You've gotta move beyond that at some point; bitterness, anger and pain are important emotions to take note of, but they're not places to dwell. It's taken me a long time to learn that.

Anyways. Thanks. :)