Do you think that Ace's choose to do less "sexy" sports like bowling?

Mary Lambert

5 hours ago, R66forM said:

She is an ace at bowling too!

:lol:

4 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

Yeah, I realised after I hit submit I was possibly taking it all a bit seriously.

The only link I can see is that some asexuals really don't like being seen in a sexual way, so going for more pedestrian sports like bowling, where athletic prowess is less important than skill, might be more attractive to them.

XD it's cool;; I'm not very good at making sexy golf jokes anyway.

I do definitely see that link being plausible for some aces, but at the same time I think there are just as many asexuals who would just enjoy athletic activity and not think about how it makes them look - as in, it just doesn't cross their mind... so I don't think it'd make a huge amount of difference when it comes to motivation to seek out a sport.

Alejandrogynous

If what makes a sport sexy is the hot body they get from it, do asexuals also shun exercise and healthy diets? Any sign of health might be seen as a signal for sexual availability - that must be why the asexual symbol is cake! 

Bronztrooper
1 hour ago, Alejandrogynous said:

If what makes a sport sexy is the hot body they get from it, do asexuals also shun exercise and healthy diets? Any sign of health might be seen as a signal for sexual availability - that must be why the asexual symbol is cake! 

I had a counter-point, but now it's gone because it won't stand up to that fact.  :P

2 hours ago, gaogao said:

I do definitely see that link being plausible for some aces, but at the same time I think there are just as many asexuals who would just enjoy athletic activity and not think about how it makes them look - as in, it just doesn't cross their mind... so I don't think it'd make a huge amount of difference when it comes to motivation to seek out a sport.

That, and I’m not sure a lack of interest in appearance - and/or having complete body confidence - is a defining ace characteristic.  People may want to be what they consider physically attractive regardless of whether or not they want to draw in potential sex partners.

Interesting thought 😊  but certainly from my view as ASexual, I can’t always guess and mostly don’t even think about if what I’m doing could be perceived as sexy or not. It’s usually sexuals who point it out. I get told “what a waste” and that I’m “a very sexy person”.. no clue 😂 I went bowling and the male friends I had all loved watching my bum aparently. So they thought it was sexy. Same when I tried playing pool. After a lot of constant comments it is true I started to try avoiding any sports that involved bending over 😄 as I didn’t want to be “hit on” or have to hurt anyone’s feelings with rejecting them. That’s the only reason I would consciously avoid certain sports/or choose sports I’m told aren’t as sexy. If you try to imagine , if your partner only saw in black and white, but to you anything red was sexy, to them they have no idea what is red to deliberately not choose red . If that makes sense? Any choice based on “is it sexy or not” would be because someone said so. I doubt he’s even considered if it’s sexy or not. From my research/personal study I understand there’s a connection with power and sex so to you it’s maybe unsexy as he’s not demonstrating any physical fitness sweat or strength is that correct?aka it doesn’t impress you to watch him bowl? But I bet he just likes bowling and hasn’t realised what you think of it or that it’s unsexy. Hope that helps 😊 peace 

19 hours ago, Alejandrogynous said:

I don't know about people or movements, but I feel like visual ASMR is what all those 'weirdly satisfying pictures' are. Stuff like perfect symmetry or things fitting perfectly inside other things. Some of it does give me tingly satisfied feelings.

Definitely YouTube is full of ASMR- some have sexualised it but many are non sexual visual ASMR

Eh, gonna go with no.

I have a very hard time determining the "sexiness" of anything, much less sports. I like swimming, though I haven't done so in years due to dysphoria.

Mary Lambert
13 hours ago, R66forM said:

You are wrong about bowling not being sexy.  I have long enjoyed sitting with a bunch of guys watching my wife bowl, obviously with excellent view of her backside.  Very sexy!  All the better when she is kicking their butts on the scoreboard.  She is an ace at bowling too!

So she bowls now and then, is she an avid bowler? We are talking about avid sports here. Sure, I played Chess once.

I've watched many sports' broadcasts; I don't believe I've ever heard any athletes say in post or pre-game interviews that they got into a sport because they wanted to be seen as "sexy" by others; usually, they say they always liked playing their sport as a kid, that they've always liked the mental or physical challenge and grew up idolizing previously heralded athletes in their sport.

Obviously, not all of them are asexuals, but people of different types of sexual orientations.

Perhaps fans see them in a "sexy" way, but athletes don't see themselves that way or think of that at all when playing a sport.

41 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

I've watched many sports' broadcasts; I don't believe I've ever heard any athletes say in post or pre-game interviews that they got into a sport because they wanted to be seen as "sexy" by others; usually, they say they always liked playing their sport as a kid, that they've always liked the mental or physical challenge and grew up idolizing previously heralded athletes in their sport.

Obviously, not all of them are asexuals, but people of different types of sexual orientations.

Perhaps fans see them in a "sexy" way, but athletes don't see themselves that way or think of that at all when playing a sport.

Especially during horse racing events, such as this past weekend's Derby, most of the attention was on Justify/Mike Smith(but on his riding)

10 hours ago, gaogao said:

9 hours ago, Alejandrogynous said:

I don't think that asexuality causes any of that. Those things just kind of blend in well with certain personality types. If an asexual person chooses to participate in a sport which is considered "sexy", they wouldn't do it because of the sexiness, but because they like the activity itself - and vice versa.

14 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

The only link I can see is that some asexuals really don't like being seen in a sexual way, so going for more pedestrian sports like bowling, where athletic prowess is less important than skill, might be more attractive to them.

I don't see how that makes any practical difference though. It's just like the way you dress - there will always be people who happen to be just into whatever you're wearing, even if it's a potato bag and a mask with a donkey face on it.

Alejandrogynous
35 minutes ago, Homer said:

I don't think that asexuality causes any of that. Those things just kind of blend in well with certain personality types. If an asexual person chooses to participate in a sport which is considered "sexy", they wouldn't do it because of the sexiness, but because they like the activity itself - and vice versa.

Was this in response to me? Because my post you quoted was meant to be sarcasm. :lol: Sorry if that didn't translate well in text!

8 hours ago, Mary Lambert said:

So she bowls now and then, is she an avid bowler? We are talking about avid sports here. Sure, I played Chess once.

Every week (winter season 32 to 36 weeks) for last 30 years. Plus occasional tournament.  Career average around 170.

On 5/12/2018 at 2:44 AM, Homer said:

I agree to a certain point because whether you like something is due to your preferences and what sorts of things you generally enjoy doing - but there are definitely people who are concerned by how certain things make them look - and there are both sexual and asexual people who really don't enjoy being perceived as "sexy" by people they don't know.

The point I was making was that there are definitely just as many (if not more) others who wouldn't notice or care about how they look when doing things they enjoy - so again, it's down to personality i.e. whether you care how you look to other people or not, and whether you let that influence your choices or not. 

Mary Lambert
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:52 AM, R66forM said:

Every week (winter season 32 to 36 weeks) for last 30 years. Plus occasional tournament.  Career average around 170. 

Well, then if she is an Ace and an Ace bowler then I rest my case. :) 

But Mary, I'm ace and I hate bowling because I suck at it. All my balls go right into the gutter.

Where does that put me? 

I always liked bowling. Getting my balls deep with accuracy and getting 10 out of 10 is a big challenge.

16 hours ago, Mary Lambert said:

Yeah, I think a rest should definitely be given. 😶

Bronztrooper
23 hours ago, Mary Lambert said:

Not sure if you've been paying attention to what everyone has been saying.

Janus the Fox

What even are 'sexy' sports hmm.... sports are sports and of the same to me.

Alejandrogynous
16 minutes ago, Bronztrooper said:

Not sure if you've been paying attention to what everyone has been saying.

I think that's the point of this thread.

On 5/11/2018 at 4:04 AM, Alejandrogynous said:

I don't know about people or movements, but I feel like visual ASMR is what all those 'weirdly satisfying pictures' are. Stuff like perfect symmetry or things fitting perfectly inside other things. Some of it does give me tingly satisfied feelings.

Well since this is about sports...

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, R66forM said:

Mary, How do you rate pickleball on the sexy scale?  

Googled pickleball. There were no pickled balls.

hAE2A496A

Bronztrooper
On 6/1/2018 at 10:43 AM, Solovei said:

Googled pickleball. There were no pickled balls.

hAE2A496A

The sport was named that because the guy who came up with it would have his dog retrieve the ball whenever it went out of bounds.

His dog was named Pickle.

Sweet Potato
On 5/14/2018 at 1:52 PM, Mary Lambert said:

wow. you find one case that fits your theory and completely disregard every single case that disproves it.

Im Ace. I hate bowling. I really enjoy pole dancing. go figure

Grumpy Alien

Are sports ever sexy? This is news to me. I’m sexual but I also hate all sports so maybe this just hasn’t occurred to me as a possibility. But seriously... are there sexy sports? Is there anything sexy about people running around aggressively and getting drenched in their own sweat? That just sounds gross to me.

Archived