Goodbye tampons - the new period tech has arrived

I LOVE the idea of those, I'm just afraid to try them...

a reusable menstrual cup has been for me by far the best option. I will never use anything else

SparkyCat13

Thank you sooo much for the helpful link! My best friend always gets really painful cramps during her period and Midol gives her weird side effects, but it's also been the only thing strong enough to take the pain away, so I immediately told her about that Livia thing after I finished reading about it. I've been feeling so bad for her and was hoping to find something that might work better. Thanks for helping a sister out! ^^

element83

[Squick warning ahead]

Spoiler

My favourite vet blog just posted a picture of after they'd induced vomiting in a dog that had eaten what looked like an entire sorority house worth of used tampons... so I'm glad to see tampon alternatives...

I've always been afraid to try the period panties, because I'm worried about things leaking.

Those period pants look really handy. I wonder if those things are available in my country. We don't really use tampons here, I have never used tampon in my whole life. Thanks for sharing this useful link! 

AbyssGaze

Never heard about period pants/leggings, sounds quite interesting and I might try them someday. ^_^

Grumpy Alien

I can’t use any inserts due to vaginismus and don’t experience period cramps so I’ll just stick to pads. I really don’t mind pads.

Alejandrogynous

I think the period panties are awesome as a concept, but I don't wear underwear as it is (commando for life, lol), so wearing them wouldn't make me feel any less awkward/uncomfortable. For pad users, though, I could see them being amazing.

The Livia cramp thing sounds like a miracle. I get horrible cramps and it's only within the past year or so that I've managed to stop vomiting from it every single time. Yay for getting older and my body maybe changing a little bit for the better. *fingers crossed* But yeah, that device isn't cheap but if it really works, it would be 100% worth it.

RoseGoesToYale

I switched to cloth pads over two years ago, and I will never, ever go back. The bunch I got cost about $120, but after ten months, they paid themselves off. And they last 5-10 years. Same thing as the period pants, you put them in the wash and you're good to go. The construction of the ones I use is woven cotton top (same as in quilts), two layers of double brushed cotton flannel, and polartec fleece bottom (basically plastic and thus impermeable). I have yet to bleed through one.

Nights are tough, though. Maybe I'll give a pair the pants a go sometime.

• 1 year later...
SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I'll never use tampons,  never touched one and never will.

These though are interesting 

Menstrual cups are awesome. As long as you can get them in right lol. I got them about 2 years ago, and sometimes during times when I know I will be unable to carry things with me for 8+ hours I'll double up by using a pad, but usually by the time those 8 hours are up the pad is still clean. 

The only thing I have anxiety about is it not sealing right and blood getting everywhere... >_< Hence the pads... >_>

A bit too late to post here, but I'll chime in here. Livia sounds like pseudoscience, and Tampliner looks uncomfortable after a period of time, but I had catherer before, so I imagine it's on the similar principle of catherers. Am I right on that?

Disclaimer - I don't have a vagina, but clicked out of curiousity.

Archived