2018 Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

RoseGoesToYale

divided_sky

He doesn't seem to know who is on the ice at any give time, and routinely identifies people incorrectly

47 minutes ago, divided_sky said:

"The pass was angled back along" What the fuck does that mean?...

Assuming that's the entire sentence, my best guess is "a backward, angled pass" (to a teammate or just to avoid letting the opposing team steal the puck).

RoseGoesToYale

@divided_sky Your comments made me feel better, after whatever on earth that was...

Current situation aside, I think Emrick needs to go. Doesn't matter which team I follow in the playoffs, he consistently manages to make me hit the mute button. You might say he "DRIVE!"s me to it. It's "RIFLED ALONG!" too much. Why has this tradition been "KEPT ALIVE"? I don't "CAROMED" anymore. Somehow I think my suggestion's "WOULDN'T GO!"

Sorry you guys, I needed to "OUTLET PASS!" some anger.

2 hours ago, divided_sky said:

NHL is a complete joke and clearly catering to where they think the money is

I think you need to realize this is a business, first. They will expand in markets that they feel will benefit the league, long term. Has nothing to do with the fans, and many fans are aware of this.

Bad for everyone else.

If this team does great in Vegas, its actually good for the NHL as well. It gives the NHL a level of exposure that helps it grow, even further. If you're talking growth, there is no better idea than to take over one of the entertainment capitals in the United States (that doesn't have a hockey team in it).

What hurts the NHL in many markets, is they play 2nd, 3rd or even lower fiddle to other sports which are far more popular than hockey. This won't be an issue with the Knights, making this market prime real estate, if you can pull it off.

Also, this sets expectations crazily high.

Yes, but also cements the team into the community early (they've turned a tragedy in the city, into a rallying point for this team to help heal it--connecting the team to the community, almost instantly). This is a team that will be a powerhouse for years, before a rebuild is even required. If you build a team like that, it will be easier to navigate the hard years, already being established in the community. I don't think a bad year will hurt this team as much as it would, in a market like Florida with the Panthers or Carolina which would be sent reeling. Markets that have several strong professional teams in other sports.

I don't know. I'm all about giving credit when it is due, and if Vegas pulls off the cup win, hats off to them.

I'm a huge hockey fan, and have been since childhood. This won't change that. This is a business, and I accept the business side of the sport.

The moment this sport upsets me to a level I no longer enjoy it like I did as a child, I'll just stop watching and supporting it.

divided_sky
1 hour ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

@divided_sky Your comments made me feel better, after whatever on earth that was...

Current situation aside, I think Emrick needs to go. Doesn't matter which team I follow in the playoffs, he consistently manages to make me hit the mute button. You might say he "DRIVE!"s me to it. It's "RIFLED ALONG!" too much. Why has this tradition been "KEPT ALIVE"? I don't "CAROMED" anymore. Somehow I think my suggestion's "WOULDN'T GO!"

Sorry you guys, I needed to "OUTLET PASS!" some anger.

divided_sky

Too bad we can't get the CBC feed. Pierre is weird and annoying, and I have to listen to Olczyk all year long calling the Hawks games

It is too bad, because all 3 of them seem like really nice guys. While you have people like Al Michaels and Jim Nantz, very good at what they do but insufferably douchey

divided_sky

Haha and in the NBC studio, we get to enjoy that asshole Mike Milbury and Keith Jones, who has all the personality of a bucket of plaster

RoseGoesToYale

My father's a genius! He waited until everyone was skulking and bickering about last night's loss, and went poking around ticket prices.

Long story short... We're going to the game tomorrow! I don't know how he pulled it off, and I don't care where in hell we sit, but I've never been to an ECF game before!

Squeeeeeee! Crap, I'm running out of paper bags over to breathe in... and also, UGYAAAAAAA! ANXIETY INTENSIFIES!

divided_sky

That's awesome!! Hope they win for ya

You know, I really don't think many people expected that Vegas would be able to do anywhere near this well. The whole expansion draft process is a bit annoying, sure, but I don't think there were many if any early indications that the team would be able to do anything like as well as they have. As far as I can tell, and certainly among those I know, the general sentiment was that they would be at best a midfield team, and that probably only because of Fleury (and yes, leaving him exposed was a rather questionable decision by the Penguins... but I'm okay with the Penguins making questionable decisions ;)). They've clearly gelled very well as a team and made it work for them, and I don't hold that against them. It's not like they're full of star players from the other teams.

I still feel that Quebec City would've been a better choice, but considering how packed the Knights arena always is and how enthusiastic the fans seem, one can't really say that they don't care. They may or may not have been much into hockey before, but they've clearly embraced the team.

As far as the announcing goes, I'm not fond of the general shoutey-ness of American broadcasters, but Emrick doesn't bother me any more than any of the others, and I've got no problem with Olczyk (which is good considering that he does call the Hawks games), but Pierre frequently drives me up a tree, especially if the Penguins or the Predators are in the game. He's not very good at appearing unbiased, that's for sure.

28 minutes ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

Long story short... We're going to the game tomorrow! I don't know how he pulled it off, and I don't care where in hell we sit, but I've never been to an ECF game before!

Awesome! Should be a really exciting game whichever way it goes.

divided_sky

It has always been true that the NHL needs to go back to white uniforms at home, but watching the Winnipeg home games really made this clear

RoseGoesToYale

Well, that's that. The Caps deserved to win this series. They played really well defensively and outplayed the Bolts. I'm a little miffed that the Bolts didn't even score one goal in two games, and Espo was right, Kucherov was in la-la land for reasons I can't fathom.

But I will root for the Caps in the final. My team has a cup, but the Caps have been fighting since '74 to get one, and I don't think the newbies should swoop in and grab it. I don't totally hate Ovi and wouldn't mind seeing him a championship in his career.

So, in the name of disco and John Ross Robertson, go get a dang cup already! In other news, I need a summer sport to watch...

I'm also cheering for Washington, but I won't be following the games closely. 

Well my worst case scenario came true and Washington is in the Finals, so I think I'll be rooting for Vegas all the way xD

It's their first season and I've already developed a long-standing grudge against VGK. It's not because they beat us in the western conference finals. It's because they're too damn good for a new team. 😛

• 2 weeks later...
divided_sky

Good to know Reaves is still a dirty dickbag

Glad to know that Gary Bettman will keep the new draft module for new expansion teams moving forwards. Definitely give Las Vegas the upper hand, as he at least admitted he needed that market to be successful from the start.

I do like the model and it makes more sense, especially if opening up into a non hockey market.

scarletlatitude
On 5/25/2018 at 11:15 AM, Snao Cone said:

It's their first season and I've already developed a long-standing grudge against VGK. It's not because they beat us in the western conference finals. It's because they're too damn good for a new team. 😛

Kind of makes you wonder why they weren't good on their old team... :huh: Or at least that's what I think. Like what magic is in Vegas that turned them into this.

RoseGoesToYale
29 minutes ago, scarletlatitude said:

Like what magic is in Vegas that turned them into this.

Part of me goes "Instead of camping, golfing, boating... team-bonding gambling?? Hitting the strip for camaraderie?"

Then I think "Naw, they have underage players, right?"

Then I go check the roster an realize all players on the roster are legal. And it's not against league rules for players to gamble with their own money...

RoseGoesToYale

:o

I will appreciate it if the caps win the series 4-1...or rather if the Knights lose 4-1. :twisted:

Yep. Nothing exactly against the Knights, but I feel that they've already come far enough for a new team, and it'll now annoy me if they end up winning it all. Plus, I'd much rather see the Caps get their first cup after a long time at it than the new team just get it all on the first try.

2 hours ago, Remmirath said:

Plus, I'd much rather see the Caps get their first cup after a long time at it than the new team just get it all on the first try.

An expansion team getting it on the first try would almost be a joke. I mean, my home teams first expansion year had them win less than 15 times. I believe the total hovered closer to 10 wins.

The team was so bad, you went to games to see star players on other teams. You cheered if they managed to score a goal.

When people made fun of them, you literally had zero rebuttals.

So for a team to just walk in and win it all, looks really bad on the drafting system used throughout the league's history.

I think it's great for Nevada if the team can remain a playoff contender for decades to come. It cements them into their respective communities.

Plus, I think Ovechkin has earned the cup. I just want a tighter series.

I see it being won in 6. No way this gets to 7.

My predictions so far have been horrible, so take this one with a grain of salt.

divided_sky

I usually hope it is won at the team's home arena. It is more fun, I like the atmosphere. Plus, what Vegas screwballs are going to boo Bettman after the league gifted them a team? 

I don't think simply plopping a team into a place where nobody has ever cared about hockey really "cements" them into anyone's life. If they want to truly grow the sport and get the local community into hockey, they usually need to get people playing hockey. Build some rinks and get some programs going for the area kids to start playing. It takes time and vision, which the NHL has none of. They don't understand that the NHL is still largely a niche sport. It is big in Canada, the northeast, and the upper midwest. Anywhere else, and it is going to take time and effort to get people into the sport, not just into watching a team while it is good. They seem to think they can compete in the US against the NFL, MLB and NBA. They are going to fall behind MLS sooner rather than later. You just dump a team in the desert, it really does nothing. As I have said in this thread already - see how the interest is when Vegas isn't contending to win the Cup. When they are missing the playoffs. And when nobody actually has any reason to care about hockey, because nobody plays it, nobody knows anybody that plays it, and there is nowhere to play it anyway

And they will be competing with the NFL in that market shortly. Good luck with that. Also, now that sports betting is no longer confined to Nevada, Las Vegas may lose the stigma  of corruption that has scared other leagues from putting teams there. MLB and NBA teams may not be far behind now. The NHL isn't going to stay relevant there simply by having a team exist

divided_sky

Great example - The Colorado Avalanche. One of the best teams in recent memory just showed up one day in Denver and won 2 Stanley Cups. How has that franchise fared since? Nobody gives a crap about that organization now, nobody shows up to games, nobody cares about hockey. A team just showed up one day and was fun while they were good. But once it stopped being fun, everybody moved on because nobody there really has much of an interest in hockey and it has been a dumpster fire. Also, running a team and being consistently good is very difficult. Let's not underestimate how extremely hard it is going to be for Vegas to even remain decent

divided_sky

Most of the sun belt expansion teams have not done well. 

Carolina Hurricanes won a Stanley Cup. They are in dismal shape and the team was just sold

Florida Panthers went to the finals early on. They are being bailed out by the county now

The Arizona Coyotes existed on subsidies from Glendale for years, then finally had that taken away as they were hemorrhaging money. The league had to step in to save them and they have not had a stable ownership or arena situation since

Nashville had been on the verge of bankruptcy and moving for a long time until fairly recently. Once again, when they go back to being useless, let's see how well they manage to stay afloat there

Atlanta has been moved to Canadian cities twice now

divided_sky

Tampa and San Jose are the success stories there

Archived