2018 Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

RoseGoesToYale

Real Estate RICO

So the best second round series ends with the Preds getting powerbombed on home ice

ooh boy

RoseGoesToYale

Looks like either one of three teams will get its first cup, or one team will get its second cup.

-grabs paper bag- UGYAAAA! Tension levels have increased!

Winnipeg and Washington would be the most overdue. Winnipeg will shut down, if they can pull it off. They have the goaltending to do it.

All cards laid down, I'll take Winnipeg's goaltending over Las Vegas.

I am overseas right now and slept through the game. If I have some time I might try to find highlight clips later today. Hellebuyck must have killed it! I'm a little bummed out I wasn't there to see how it was celebrated. It's probably best it was an away game. I don't know what the riot potential is there, as we've neeeeeever gotten this far.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! 

Yeah, Darcy stood on his head.

Them vs Vegas will be insane hockey. What playoffs hockey is all about.

Both deep, grinding teams which play a very high tempo game.

This will be the most entertaining series in the playoffs. Mark my words.

If you're a fan, it will cause gray hairs.

I remember the last time my home team made the finals. Just nothing but stress and ultimately heartbreak.

Canada must win another cup before I die o_O

So, Jets vs. Knights and Capitals vs. Lightning... I feel like they could both go either way at this point. Given how relatively little trouble the Knights have had until this point, it's tempting to say they're likely to come out ahead -- but I'm not so sure. I have the feeling that the Capitals will be able to push past the Lightning, having finally got this far, but I expect that one to end up close. I expect both series to be highly entertaining!

On 5/11/2018 at 12:22 AM, Perspektiv said:

All cards laid down, I'll take Winnipeg's goaltending over Las Vegas.

Not bragging or anything, but... 😒

scarletlatitude
On 5/11/2018 at 6:01 PM, Remmirath said:

So, Jets vs. Knights and Capitals vs. Lightning... I feel like they could both go either way at this point. Given how relatively little trouble the Knights have had until this point, it's tempting to say they're likely to come out ahead -- but I'm not so sure. I have the feeling that the Capitals will be able to push past the Lightning, having finally got this far, but I expect that one to end up close. I expect both series to be highly entertaining!

Yeah it looks like the Caps are really going for it now. They have all levels of confidence that they didn't have before. I didn't realize that Ovechkin was drafted at the same time as Crosby, but when you compare what they've done in that time... about time #8 did something. 

I am still rooting for Fleury. Fleury is always my dude. 

RoseGoesToYale

Fisticuffs! Is it too much to ask for some fisticuffs?!

(My hockey rant o' the day)

I still six hours ahead and will be asleep for the game, but my heart is in my hometown. I will be hugging my white hoodie in my sleep. 

scarletlatitude

I am biased because I've been a Fleury fan since he entered the NHL in 2003. The announcers (the NBC announcers, to be specific) always used to say bad things about Fleury... like "this new goalie can't do anything" and "they should trade him"... until he helped them to win a cup in 2009. So for like six years I would yell at the TV for them to be nice to Fleury because he was new and being a goalie is hard. :P I'll always root for his success. Plus he's just an awesome dude. 

I'm getting too tired for this. 

Real Estate RICO

I think it's a good time to remind everyone that while Vegas is one win away from the Finals, the Panthers missed the playoffs by a single point after letting Marchessault and Smith go, which were horrible decisions even at the time

What I'm trying to say is that Dale Tallon would probably lose a trade with Marc Bergevin

RoseGoesToYale

Funny thing about Marchessault... the Lightning organization knows him. :twisted:

I used to call him Marché while he was with the Bolts. Turned out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Welp, back to everyone outside this city calling Winnipeg the worst team in the league. 

12 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

Welp, back to everyone outside this city calling Winnipeg the worst team in the league. 

have you lost?

45 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

have you lost?

<_<

5 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

<_<

Sorry to hear that. But reaching the semi-final is, historically, pretty good for you, isn't it?

I know one always want more, but still, a good run.

It's the best the Winnipeg Jets (in either versions) have ever done. That's undeniable. It's a great team, and we're going to do well next year. Since discovering that the CFL season starts two weeks earlier than usual this year makes me glad I have a brief respite from local interest in sports.

Anyway, I'm cheering for the Bolts, but if the Caps advance I'm cheering for them. Just not VGK.

divided_sky

How did I miss this thread? Ah!!! I am so sorry all of you couldn't read my wonderful thoughts all playoffs long. 

Oh, I never check this forum, that's why :(

Well, Winnipeg got absolutely dicked by the league. Vegas was monumentally overserved by the expansion draft. It truly exposes how much of a joke the NHL is. Winnipeg has built this team from absolutely nothing over the years, meanwhile, a bunch of nobodies just show up on a new team and run through the league to the finals. Absolute crock of shit. 

Winnipeg at least has a lot of the key players locked up for next year. I don't know their salary cap situation well, so hopefully they won't have to trade to dump salary. 

I will jump off a bridge if it is Caps-Vegas

I wonder what Canadian fans think about this. A brand new team in an American market, in the fucking desert (cause we needed a second desert team), is going to the finals and may win the cup, while Quebec City was burned for an expansion team, and the Jets were fucked in the ass by them. 

I hate the NHL so much, it is so crooked

54 minutes ago, divided_sky said:

I will jump off a bridge if it is Caps-Vegas

Well mercifully for your sake, it will be Tampa and Vegas. There is no way Washington is digging their way out of this hole, and closing off a hungry Tampa Bay on their home ice in 7. Craziest finals I can recall, but Fleury looks dialed in. When he's dialed in, he's impossible to beat. Plus he has a great team in front of him.

I can't say I'm surprised anymore, but I call for Vegas in 6.

I don't like either team, but have been a Fleury fan since his Cape Breton days, so will side for his team.

1 hour ago, divided_sky said:

I wonder what Canadian fans think about this. A brand new team in an American market, in the fucking desert (cause we needed a second desert team), is going to the finals and may win the cup, while Quebec City was burned for an expansion team, and the Jets were fucked in the ass by them. 

To be quite honest, I say hats of to Vegas.

They picked an insanely hard working nucleus of players. Shame on Pittsburgh for exposing Fleury. He's still in his prime, and probably has another three years in the tank, before his skill set starts waning.

If anything, he's better now than he ever has been. He's learned to calm his game down, dramatically. Took some of Carey Price's cool as a cucumber attitude, and injected it into his game. Something that worked against him, earlier in his career (I remember my home team ran through his in the playoffs a few times, as you knew if you could get a couple through him early, that you got him--he was rattled, and would struggle to recover on it). He'd get too upset after a bad goal. His team ultimately beat mine and led them to the finals last year, but you could tell if their coach had left him in goal, it would've been curtains (for Pittsburgh). He was rattled. They put Murray in, and its all she wrote.

He now has a short memory on bad plays, and just focuses on coming up big on the next one, showcasing his evolution as an athlete. I remember hearing about him seeing a psychologist to help him with this.

He has zero pressure on him in Las Vegas, and looks like he's having fun out there. Fun to watch, if am being honest. Bad news for whoever he faces in the finals.

Las Vegas will be well rested, and hungry to prove a lot of people wrong. It will be ugly for their opponent.

As a Canadian, I do feel frustrated however, in how long since my other team from my home away from home (Montreal) won the cup. It feels like forever ago. Its just not the same, in terms of having a Canadian team in the finals vs an American team. No disrespect to US fans, but in Canada, this is our religion.

I don't know. I'm one of those fans who prides themselves in being beaten by the best. I'd hate to lose to a team that ultimately loses in the finals. That's just me, though.

I know I don't speak for any other Senators fans, but I'd even love to see Toronto in the finals. Any Canadian team lifting the cup, would make my day. If I could easily drive to the city, even better!

I really miss that "being in the finals" energy you'll only get in Canada.

divided_sky

James Neal and Ryan Reaves can absolutely go fuck themselves

I think its sad that no Canadian team has managed to win a cup in now 25 years (and counting).

It boggles the mind when you think about it, but its also a testament to how big the league is now, which is why winning is so hard to do.

If they do put a team in Quebec City, the benefit is the draft will really help them now, when you look at Las Vegas.

I think its great for hockey, as you're putting the sport on an immense platform, but bad for Canada.

divided_sky

I think you underestimate how many hockey fans are upset with the league over this, and how much it has exposed them to how the NHL is a complete joke and clearly catering to where they think the money is, not to actual fans who have been supporting their teams and this league for years and decades

This is a terrible look. Great for Vegas. Bad for everyone else. And really, who cares about Vegas? Also, this sets expectations crazily high. How well will fans support the team when they are kicking around 8-9 in the conference, or worse yet, in a rebuild? 

This is nothing but an indictment of the NHL

They will not give Quebec City an expansion team. Seattle is up next. Quebec will have to wait and hope another franchise finally can't sustain itself (like Arizona) or is going to be evicted from their arena (like Atlanta)

They don't care about Quebec City, it is a tiny city compared to other markets that do not yet have a team

divided_sky

Houston and Kansas City will also be up before Quebec City

divided_sky

Mike Emrick sucks. I say this every year, but I am somehow always surprised by how awful he is

"The pass was angled back along" What the fuck does that mean? He uses the weirdest damn verbs. He is way too screamy. 

American TV is routinely just terrible and filled with EMOTION!! and TALKING OVER THE GAME!! LOUD NOISES!!

divided_sky

Coburn passes it through and WHOAAAA OOHHHH CHANNNCEEE! AND IT WOULDN'T GOOO!!! OH MY!!! meanwhile the puck is now at the other end

Archived