2018 Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

RoseGoesToYale

RoseGoesToYale
2 hours ago, divided_sky said:

Tampa and San Jose are the success stories there

But let us not forget the dark beginnings when the Lightning were owned by the yakuza, forced to play in a baseball field, and literally called "a skating vaudeville show". :ph34r: Thank the Yz and Vinik that's over.

I honestly don't know how the Golden Knights are going to fair in Vegas. The city has a horrible track record with sports franchises. Most of them folded within a year or so of founding. One of their previous hockey teams, the Las Vegas Thunder of the IHL, made the playoffs every season except their last. Their downfall was inability to keep using their arena. An indoor soccer team, the Dustdevils, won a championship their first season, then folded their next season (the league two years after that). Most of these problems were caused by small, unstable leagues, lack of funds, and lack of proper sports infrastructure. 

Now, the Knights have a brand new arena and seem to have a stable backer. What they don't have is a stable fanbase. There are many bandwagoners that are spread out in addition to some local fans. Distant fans may buy merchandise and support the team, but they won't attend games. I never expect an expansion team to take with locals immediately... a team culture has to built first. This could be problematic in a few ways: 1) the team culture has been started on a basis of entertainment, and 2) because of where the team is located, its culture is associated with gambling and show biz, even if that doesn't reflect the culture among the natives or Nevada as a whole. Those against gambling might see the team as being too close to the mores of the strip. Veteran hockey fans might see the show biz aspect as a gimmick that doesn't reflect hockey. For other Reno-area residents, some expressed desire for a professional sports team because they want to be known as something other than just a gambling town. It remains to be seen if the Golden Knights can handle all these relationships. One successful season isn't an anchor.

As far as Bettman goes, I hear it's bad luck not to jeer at him at Cup presentations. It's tradition to perform the ceremonial-exorcism-of-the-Bettman-from-Lord-Stanley's-Cup by means of ancient monosyllabic incantations, i.e. BOOOOOOOO!

divided_sky

Who is even from Las Vegas anyway? It is all transplant degenerates who couldn't hack it in regular society but felt they were too good for Florida (no offense)

RoseGoesToYale

e7d5a8738f1cd1615fc881ffebd8bd13

My face right now

divided_sky
Just now, RoseGoesToYale said:

e7d5a8738f1cd1615fc881ffebd8bd13

My face right now

Do you have Booster Juice by you? Is it a west coast thing? I have never seen one

Only slightly related to this topic

RoseGoesToYale
7 minutes ago, divided_sky said:

Do you have Booster Juice by you? Is it a west coast thing? I have never seen one

Only slightly related to this topic

Er... wat?

divided_sky

"12 players on the ice... 28 players must wait"

Thanks, Emrick

RoseGoesToYale

Two score and three years later...

At least it wasn't Vegas.

divided_sky

All of this juice needs to be boosted

RoseGoesToYale
Just now, divided_sky said:

All of this juice needs to be boosted

How do you boost juice? Unless you pour it in a booster seat...

divided_sky

Blackhawks season ticket renewals are way down. I don't think it will ever go back to the dark ages of the early-mid 2000s, but this is not a great sign. Most people in my age bracket grew up not giving a fuck about them and only cared when they became good. Be a little while before all the kids who grew up with the championship teams are buying their own tickets. Maybe it will be possible to get tickets again. Honestly, the game experience here sucks. The United Center is cavernous, and it's a dull, quiet crowd. Tons of those seats are corporate purchased and given away to people who aren't necessarily into hockey, or people with a lot of money who have anything better to do than get drunk and watch hockey. The one game I was at in Toronto felt very similar, it was the most dull and lifeless crowd ever

divided_sky

Just stumbled upon this if anyone is interested. Mostly posting it cause it addresses what I have said about getting the community into hockey. Oh, and Dallas! I totally forgot to mention them before

Archived