2018 Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

RoseGoesToYale

RoseGoesToYale

This has been done before, so I'm continuing the tradition. Where my hockey fans at? Here is the official thread to discuss all the goings-on in this years Stanley Cup Playoffs!

Here are my observations/predictions so far:

*I could see Jets-Preds going to six or seven games (I totally didn't expect Rinne to get pulled first game). Same for Caps-Pens, though Jake Guentzel could make things difficult.

*This has been a really high-scoring playoffs (of the 46 games played to date, about 6 goals average combined goals per game). It seems like whichever team is having a bad goalie night is the one peppering the other goalie with high volumes of shots. Some of the goaltending has been phenomenal, some of it yikes.

*Vegas has been the hot topic, but ironically they had the fewest per capita goals per game in their first round sweep of the Kings. I was still pretty shocked at 7-0. Time will tell if they can carry it forward.

*So... Marchand X Komarov? I'm still not sure what's going there...

*Hope there's not too much rust on my Bolts. :P The scheduling is weird, since their series will be behind the others (I guess they're trying to give other teams a chance to rest)

Hello, I'm so glad I found another hockey fan on here!

As a Pens fan, I'm really glad Guentzel is producing like he did in last year's playoffs and could easily be a big difference maker in this series. I predicted Pens in six, mostly for my sake mentally :P, but I could see it going to seven again. It should be an interesting game two on Sunday, especially if Malkin is healthy enough to play and the power play starts to wake up. I never assume that a series is going to be a slam dunk, regardless of our track record against the Caps in the playoffs. They're going to put up a good fight like they always do.

Jets-Preds is a pretty intriguing match-up to me, because I can see it going either way. The Jets made short work of the Wild, but the Preds had a little trouble with the Avalanche. If Hellebuyck plays anywhere close to how he did tonight in game one, the Preds might be in trouble. I can agree with you though, this is another series that can easily go six or seven.

Man, is Vegas surprising everyone or what? Many didn't expect them to make it out of the first round, let alone not lose a game yet. I'll be interested to see how they respond when they do lose though; will they come back with a fury or will they panic? It should be interesting, but I'm still happy for Fleury and what he's done there so far!

Then there are the Bolts and Bruins, which is another one that could possibly go six or seven. I wonder if the Maple Leafs taking Boston to seven games might give you guys a bit of an advantage with rest. I do hope that someone beats Marchand up a little, I can't stand him at all <_<

RoseGoesToYale

It'll be interesting to see how San Jose responds tonight. I haven't counted them out, with their recent track record of playoff appearances. Though it'll be harder without Kane...

I was right... the Bolts were rusted today. It hit Vasilevskiy the hardest, though. More than anything I think it's wakeup call for how tough Playoff Bruins can be.

For Jets-Preds, I predict Jets will win in six, but I am incredibly biased. :ph34r:

I'm a bit surprised that the Bruins won tonight, and definitely surprised at how well the Golden Knights have been doing this whole season (although the surprise has somewhat worn off by now, I did expect the Sharks to do better than that!). It's not looking good for the Sharks tonight either as of when I type this...

Neither of my favourite teams made the playoffs this year (Blackhawks and Red Wings, for the curious), so now I'm just watching with largely impartial interest. I'm expecting the Jets, the Lightning, and the Knights to eventually emerge the victor from this series at the moment, and I'm hoping that the Capitals finally make it past the Penguins this year...  but I think that's even money at this point. I expect Jets-Preds to be pretty close, though, and probably Capitals-Penguins -- whichever way it goes in the end. I was initially expecting that Knights-Sharks might drag out even to a game seven, but now I'm not so sure. Lightning-Bruins I had thought was going to be obviously in favour of the Lightning, and I still think that'll probably happen starting with the next game.

It has been a really high scoring playoffs so far, and it looks like that's going to keep up.

Real Estate RICO

>OttaLOL

Well Vegas is undefeated no more. I didn't get to watch but I saw some highlights and man, that goalie interference call was rough.

Kind of like the no goal call today that went against my Pens, the puck definitely crossed the goal line. Oh well, I'm going to game 3 on Tuesday so hopefully I'll bring them some luck! xD

RoseGoesToYale

I only caught the highlights of the Sharks-Knights. When he's on it, Brent Burns is an offensive force to be reckoned with.

It's so far looking like the Preds will even up the series tonight, but we'll see...

Re: Jets vs Preds, I am extremely stressed out and I just want the torture to end (10 mins into OT) 

RoseGoesToYale
12 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

Re: Jets vs Preds, I am extremely stressed out and I just want the torture to end (10 mins into OT) 

Breathe, drink water. (I know, playoff OT takes minutes off your life)

None of my teams made the playoffs, so its been hard to tune in. However, am definitely keeping an eye on the Jets and Preds series, based on Winnipeg being the last Canadian team left.

The only other team I'd be rooting for beyond then, is Las Vegas as have been a Fleury fan since his bright yellow pad days playing in the Quebec junior league (I lucked out, and saw him play live along with Mario Lemieux).

I also love rooting for the underdog, mind you I don't think Winnipeg qualifies (or that it should).

NHL playoffs without Montreal in them, is like coffee without sugar. Yes. Bias is quite high here.

I expect all my favorite teams, to be there next year. The draft will be serving them all very well!

I'll say, this Preds-Jets game is insane right now!

32 minutes ago, Shay21 said:

I'll say, this Preds-Jets game is insane right now!

I'm relieved it's over, even though it's a loss. That was an aggressive and intense game. Subban has some grudge against Scheifele or something.

1 minute ago, Snao Cone said:

I'm relieved it's over, even though it's a loss. That was an aggressive and intense game. Subban has some grudge against Scheifele or something.

It definitely was, and I really thought the Jets had them beat a few times in those overtime periods. I feel like Subban always has a grudge against someone, that's how he was with Crosby in last year's finals.

RoseGoesToYale

It's all series tied up now (at least for the next 3 hours). Bolts came to the game this time. The hits were something else!

Things are getting interesting, that's for sure!

RoseGoesToYale

Ok, this has been the flat out weirdest. Bizarrest. Slightly grossest playoffs I've ever seen. I want this series with Boston to be over for two reasons:

1. I'm tired of Marchand licking every other player. It's freaking disgusting! There is no room in hockey for that!

2. I'm tired of the entire series being about nothing but Marchand's licking.

On the bright side, wasn't pretty in the second period, but the Bolt's managed to pull this one through.

Snao Cone

What a weirdo. The playoffs bring out the best and/or worst in players, that's fer sher.

There are some funny-but-inappropriate-for-AVEN tweets about that event. :P

Yeah this whole licking thing is getting pretty annoying, I'm sure if a Bolt gave him a good sucker punch to the face he would stop. <_<

Now Vegas is taking it to San Jose, and Fleury is playing out of his mind in net (no surprise there!).

Snao Cone

It's going to be insane here on Monday. I hope the Jets have the same level of energy they brought into the second and third periods of tonight's game. The Preds seem exhausted. :D

Larkaloke

Definitely interesting! The Lightning look on for a series win, but it could still easily go either way with all the other matchups this round, as tight as it's been.

I haven't ended up watching any of the Lightning vs. Bruins (just following along with those), so I've not seen what Marchand's been up to... but it sounds like that's just as well.

6 hours ago, Remmirath said:

so I've not seen what Marchand's been up to... but it sounds like that's just as well.

Yeah, licking your opponent's face is something else.

Glad the NHL gave him a final warning about that. Impressed the player he licked, just took it. I would've lost my mind.

I've been spit on before, and I can't think of anything more insulting. Until I heard this guy does this, regularly.

Don't be surprised if you see Las Vegas in the finals.

You look at who they'll be up against (Winnipeg), and it should be an insanely entertaining series.

They're both hard working teams, and the speed in this one, will be great. Goaltending in my opinion, favors Winnipeg.

(Fleury is a better goaltender, but when all the cards are laid out, his consistency to me, may hurt him).

If it turns out to be a duel between the posts, Winnipeg in 6.

If it turns out to be a battle of the teams on the ice, Las Vegas in 7. What makes them so dangerous, is how well-balanced their offense is. They're dangerous everywhere, and are a rare team, on the basis of even their stars are grinders.

I would love to see Washington make it to the finals.

If this is the case, I don't see them raising the cup, but would mean an epic battle in the finals between two high speed, high energy teams.

Would be quite the feat to see Las Vegas make it all the way.

Talk about cementing your status in your community, and wasting no time to do it!

Buuuut, you can't beat the white clad crowds in Winnipeg. Seeing this, makes me proud to be Canadian. Its night and day, watching a crowd in a hockey hotbed, vs any other market. That city would lose its mind.

I still remember the last time my city made it to the finals. Just the energy in the entire city, was unreal.

I remember going to a bar with friends to catch a game, and it was louder than the arena, am sure.

Spilling into downtown streets, everyone was hugging and high fiving strangers, post win (ultimately lost the cup).

I'll be secretly rooting for them.

Snao Cone

Caps vs Bolts for the east! Here's to hoping the western semifinals are sealed tonight as well. 

Well, there goes my Pens. :( I'm not too upset though, winning back-to-back Cups is pretty damn good. I'm really hoping Vegas goes all the way, or at least a team not named the Capitals xD

RoseGoesToYale
5 minutes ago, Shay21 said:

Well, there goes my Pens. :( I'm not too upset though, winning back-to-back Cups is pretty damn good. I'm really hoping Vegas goes all the way, or at least a team not named the Capitals xD

It's too bad they were eliminated. Would've been an interesting matchup for sure. Don't worry, I have a feeling Kucherov may be back to haunt Holtby... :P

@RoseGoesToYale I hope so! I honestly don't think the Caps have much of a chance against the Bolts, but it will be interesting regardless!

Snao Cone

The Jets were disappointing last night! I'm going to be overseas for game 7, and that's probably better for my health. :P

scarletlatitude

32073891_2069349566472344_82830927481651

Archived