Asexual people in Boulder County fight against notion of what makes a person whole

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

http://www.timescall.com/longmont-local-news/ci_31788979/asexuality-boulder-longmont

7 April 2018

Arin Moriarty's moment of realization came all at once.

"I was 17 and... I was hanging out at the pool with the daughters of some of my mom's friends who I didn't know very well. And there were a bunch of random guys who lived in Orlando and had come to the pool to hang out," said Moriarty, who studies physiology at the University of Colorado.

"They were arguing about whether biceps or abs are sexier, and I was just sitting there like, 'I don't understand what you guys are talking about.' And it was at that point that I sort of started to realize that other people experience that attraction differently than the way I did."

That poolside epiphany began Moriarity's realization that they — the CU student uses gender-neutral pronouns — are asexual, meaning they don't experience sexual attraction.

In biology, the word "asexual" refers to an organism that doesn't use sex to reproduce, such as an amoeba. That term — and the shortened form, "ace" — has been adopted by the asexual community.

Archived