Artist Friendships

darvyn

Hello! I'm pasting this from my status because I was curious to see what other folks might think in a thread, I honestly should have just made it a thread to begin with, but alas.

Anyways, let's get this started!!

There is a stereotype about folks that befriend artists solely for the purpose of getting free art from them. And yeah, I guess I've seen this happen. But how do people do this?

I quite literally cannot fathom asking someone to draw something for me? I mean, there have been times that I have wanted to support some of my favorite artists online, but they don't have a Patreon or a ko-fi account or anything, so I can't just send them money. But they have commissions open, and I'd love to commission these amazing artists if only I could even begin to imagine asking them to draw me something.

When I used to be part of a collective of artists, I found that folks asked me to draw things for them occasionally, but only because I was frequently offering to draw them things. I like drawing things for people! But I quite literally never ever ever asked folks to draw things for me. If someone ended up drawing something for me, without any prior urging I would readily and enthusiastically accept the drawing!

I dunno, I just feel like if someone draws me something solely because they wanted to and not because I asked, it is a lot more meaningful??? Rather than me prompting them to draw something for me with a, "hey, can you draw my character?" Gosh I dunno.

I might be alone in this mindset, but I guess it stems from my awkwardness of asking folks to do things for me and me briefly making art commercially. Anyone with me? Or if you have any thoughts on my opinion, I'd love to hear.

Huh, I guess I haven’t really thought about it much? But, then again, I’ve never asked someone to make something for me...maybe I’m just nervous to ask others? I didn’t know that it was a thing for some people befriend artists just to get free art? I’ve done free stuff before (really haven’t sold anything), but very infrequently and at my own accord.

I get nervous too, which I think is what lead me to develop this kind of opinion to begin with.

8 minutes ago, Zosia said:

I didn’t know that it was a thing for some people befriend artists just to get free art?

I've been lucky enough where it was already fellow artists that befriended me to get me to draw things for them, but I know that there are cases where folks will befriend and get into touch with you solely for the sake of asking for a favor one day. It's unfortunate, but I don't think it's too common at least??

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in being bad at asking folks for things!

I've been asked to draw things for friends, but most of the time when I do draw them something it's because I want to. And I know that my art isn't the only reason they want to be friends with me, far from it. Sometimes they just need a helping hand with things they can't do and I'm happy to help, that said if I can't for any reason I will say so. 
The people who annoy me aren't my friends, they are the strangers who come to me and ask me to draw them something for free out of no where.

I wouldn't think anyone would go to the trouble of befriending somebody solely to ask for art from them, but it does certainly happen that people who are already friends (or, more commonly, simply acquaintainces) ask for art for free or a reduced price.

I've certainly never had somebody try to get to know me just to ask for art. I think that'd be really unusual.

• 2 weeks later...
MagicalMafka

I did free art for friends once or twice but they know that I'm an extremely busy artist with a real career. When they finally understand that this is really a hard work, this is not your play-field and you're not goofing around pretending that you're doing actual work, they will stop with 'their 'free art' thing.

I think it depends on the artist and type of art. I used to draw for friends. I would then get disappointed when they did not seem pleased with it if that makes sense. Like it would be stashed away and forgotten and not really appreciative of the time it took or the thought behind it. I find this is true with many crafts in my case. I know of several who get asked for free artwork with payment in "exposure". 

Actually, now that I think of this, this is true in many professions. Oh hey, you have experience in writing? Will you write my paper for me? Oh you work at xyz tech company? Will you fix my computer? OMG you are lawyer, I have a legal question for you.

On 4/25/2018 at 6:53 PM, darvyn said:

There is a stereotype about folks that befriend artists solely for the purpose of getting free art from them. And yeah, I guess I've seen this happen. But how do people do this?

I would find that behaviour really unusual. Going to the effort of making friends with someone just to obtain free art?

Archived