Family member help

FamMan

My neice came out to me last night having not told her mom yet. I think she is afraid her mother won't be accepting based on religious beliefs. I did my best to reassure her things will work out fine. She asked me to be there when she comes out to her Mom. Any advice on how to keep level heads in the room and head off knee jerk reactions?

hopeisnotlost

I don't know about how to make sure everyone else is calm but you might want to be careful and make sure it's safe to have them come out at the least.Make sure no matter what happens to be there for your niece however.

I agree with hopeisnotlost. You should definitely try to keep the room calm, possibly by turning the conversation away from different roads, but priority should be your niece. You may want to talk to her before the conversation as well to see what she wants from you. It could be that she's just looking for you to sit in the room for moral support and past that would be your own judgement of the situation at the moment. I don't have any experience on this though so please don't take my word for it.

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

Just be there for her when she needs it, and if things do not work out well as planned.

I'm not stating they will not work out on any level.

If they do go as planned and her mom is supportive with it then at least she has 2 people with her. 

Do your best to keep things calm as well as a few have mentioned, I wish the both of you luck. ^_^ 

just be there for your niece to listen to if she needs someone to talk to :)

Archived