Asexual role models

Glass

Hi! Thought I'd ask to see who people see as asexual and asexual-adjacent role models, fictional or real-life.

I think one of my big ones is Plato's Socrates: he certainly appreciates beautiful people, but even when they're crawling into bed with him he just talks to them all night without having sex.

Growing up, I always admired the villains from Disney movies: Gaston, Ursula, Jafar, Chernabog, etc., etc... I wonder now if it's because the villain doesn't get caught up in a love story like the heroes always do... But other than being evil, they know what they want out of life, and do their best to do it. I think that's pretty admirable.

The Gnat (Natalie)

Liz Lemon (30 Rock) has always been a role model of mine. I think there's pretty good textual evidence (is there a TV equivalent of this?) for her being somewhere on the gray-A spectrum. I'm also fully on board with the headcannon that Abby Yates (Ghostbusters) is ace.

In the nonfiction realm, I've always liked Tim Gunn, and I like him even more now that I know we're both aces. (I met him at a book signing a couple years ago, and he seems like such a kind, genuine person.) But many, if not most, of my role models are queer women since there aren't that many out aces in the public eye. Rachel Maddow, in particular, is someone I admire a lot.

Thanks for starting this thread! I can't wait to hear people's answers.

I just watched Amélie and she's cool. I wouldn't call her a role model but I think she probably comes closest out of all of the asexual characters out there.

29 minutes ago, The Gnat (Natalie) said:

In the nonfiction realm, I've always liked Tim Gunn, and I like him even more now that I know we're both aces. (I meant him at a book signing a couple years ago, and he seems like such a kind, genuine person.) But many, if not most, of my role models are queer women since there aren't that many out aces in the public eye. Rachel Maddow, in particular, is someone I admire a lot.

I did not realize Tim Gunn identified as asexual! That's very cool to hear. Talented, successful, kind: excellent role model!

Oh! And how could I forget to include Edward Gorey??

1 minute ago, Jarle said:

I've always liked Miyamoto Musashi, not only for being a badass but also for his philosophies and way of life - he literally wrote the book on living a single life!

Ooh, thank you for this! I have not heard of him, but after some quick internet research, I'm definitely going to check out his writings!

Plus, according the picture on Wikipedia, he FOUGHT A WHALE.

Tintin....

Stays single, has brilliant adventures, has close friends and a dog. 

A pretty good role model

When I was young I liked a tv cartoon "Gargoyles" and the other day looking at the wikia (nostalgia reasons) found out that one character I liked (Owen Burnett) it's asexual; made my day, and now I wonder how many others characters of series I watched are asexual too and I didn't know. ^_^

18 hours ago, Thea2 said:

Thekla, Protomartyr and Equal of the Apostles,  “she steadfastly resolved not to enter into marriage”

https://oca.org/saints/lives/1999/09/24/102715-protomartyr-and-equal-of-the-apostles-thekla

Oh, wonderful! I had not heard of her- thank you! (Also love learning new words: "protomartyr" is a fantastic one.)

13 hours ago, AbyssGaze said:

When I was young I liked a tv cartoon "Gargoyles" and the other day looking at the wikia (nostalgia reasons) found out that one character I liked (Owen Burnett) it's asexual; made my day, and now I wonder how many others characters of series I watched are asexual too and I didn't know. ^_^

Looking back at the things we enjoyed in our formative years can give such interesting indications of the people we become. Of course, it doesn't really matter if the character is canonically asexual, only if that's how you read the character, but it's great when you find out they were actually created that way.

7 hours ago, Glass said:

Oh, wonderful! I had not heard of her- thank you! (Also love learning new words: "protomartyr" is a fantastic one.)

You're welcome.  I'm happy you know about her now too.  :)

snotnosebitch

I have been reading a lot of Supernatural fanfiction because that's just where I am at right now... but a lot of the fandom has Ace Castiel stories and honestly, that has been a huge thing for me to read even if it is not canon that a fandom explores it enough that I can read tons of stories about a character I like being Ace. And having it not be super wrong like "all ace people act like robots or are stuck up and only care about work".

Also, I LOVE Liz Lemon from 30 Rock and I don't care what anyone says-- I think she is Asexual. And I loved watching that show for her romantic storylines because I found them pretty relatable and I never relate to anything like that. 

I made an art piece recently this year about Asexuality and Saints and stuff and like ... it was hard for me to find characters and real-life people to use as figures because everyone loved pointing out I was wrong and that I did not understand Asexuality (hilarious) and then basically told me all the misconceptions that piss me off all the time are what Asexuality is... so I kind of keep my opinions to myself. But I have people that I relate to heavily but those are two characters that have been making me feel confident about myself lately in the Ace department.

ACE ERASURE IS HARD.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 2:02 AM, Jarle said:

I've always liked Miyamoto Musashi, not only for being a badass but also for his philosophies and way of life - he literally wrote the book on living a single life!

Thanks for the reference. Absolutely worth checking out.

On 4/24/2018 at 2:06 AM, Glass said:

Plus, according the picture on Wikipedia, he FOUGHT A WHALE.

That is the most badass action ever!

SilentRose

In my mind, Dr.Spencer Reid from criminal minds is a heteroromantic asexual and no one can convince me otherwise :D

And he's great, so...him I guess :D

Brilliant and kind and unique...I've always had a bit of a crush on him, but at the same time I just admire him as a person. 

• 4 months later...
knittinghistorian
On 4/27/2018 at 4:09 PM, chandrakirti said:

I was hoping that after J.K. Rowling outed Dumbledore as gay, she would indicate an asexual character. Still waiting!:lol:

I think she's said that Charlie Weasley is.  Or at least agreed that he is. "Why have a girlfriend when you can STUDY DRAGONS??"

knittinghistorian
On 4/24/2018 at 2:53 AM, Thea2 said:

Thekla, Protomartyr and Equal of the Apostles,  “she steadfastly resolved not to enter into marriage”

https://oca.org/saints/lives/1999/09/24/102715-protomartyr-and-equal-of-the-apostles-thekla

Though that could be more "celibacy" than "asexuality"...  There are so many virgin saints, though, that some of them have got to be asexual.  Actually, I think the evidence for Saint Paul being asexual is pretty solid.

On April 25, 2018 at 5:44 AM, snotnosebitch said:

I have been reading a lot of Supernatural fanfiction because that's just where I am at right now... but a lot of the fandom has Ace Castiel stories

I watch Supernatural. I would probably consider Castiel as some form of asexual spectrum. Even though he hooked up with that other angel, I sort of got the impression that the writers forced that storyline on Misha Collins, I just felt like it didn't fit his character. He's not an over sexualized character like Dean/Sam. Castiel always seem to have a indifference view of women. I love many things about the show but its too highly over sexualized, so its sort of hard to say any character is officially asexual when everyone on that show hooks up. :rolleyes:  

Sherlock Holmes. Not Moffat's Sherlock or anything, but the old school Conan Doyle Holmes. He's too smart to be interested, which is something I've always believed about myself. Whenever I feel looked down on for not being sexual, I try to remind myself that Sherlock Holmes is unambiguously awesome, even to the hetero crowd.

I sometimes wonder if Teri Irwin might not be demi-sexual. She said she never had any intention of ever getting married and was happy to stay single, then she met Steve and they connected. She has said that she has not been on a date since he died and has no intention of ever marrying again.

On 4/24/2018 at 3:53 AM, Thea2 said:

Also YES!!! I am a medievalist, and every saint who convinced a sexually inclined partner to keep a chaste marriage was definitely a hero. I used to dream of coming to such an arrangement with a SO.

Archived